[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

I cant seem to get Karbonite to work. I got a lander to a hotspot and started up the drill but i get 0 karbonite even when leaving it in time warp for a long time. any ideas?

I have this same problem! Help please!

Sorry for the double post, but as you can see 0 Karbonite...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=304918088

Edited by diomedea
merged consecutive posts

It do. Thanks for the reply. I am comforted in knowing that should mere Karbonite prove not quite up to the job of an Eve SSTO, there's Karbonium to fall back on :). But my question still remains..... What is the intended purpose of Karbonium?

I have not yet heard of anybody making a Karbonite Eve SSTO (and I've been subscribed to this thread for some time). I haven't quite succeeded myself yet but it's so close I could be arrested for stalking. So, there are only 2 possible outcomes as Karbonite now stands. Either Karbonite Eve SSTO succeeds or fais by a whisker either way.

I can't think of anything harder to do than tying an Eve colony into a system-wide exchange system. The accepted practice for an Eve ascent after doing no more than planting a flag is, with conventional rocketry, to rove the rocket to the highest convenient mountaintop, then use a Kerbal-made mountain of 1.25m rocket parts in several dozen stages all to get 1 Kerbal in a lawnchair into the lowest possible orbit. This can't in any way come close to being economically viable (forget mere contracts, I'm talking about the long-term "Eve India Company" colonial/imperial stuff), even with Extraplanetary Launchpads. The difference between this conventional approach and a Karbonite SSTO attempt that just barely fails is bigger than (EDIT insert reference to whatever scale seems appropriate here). So what more can Karbonium do that Karbonite can't do?

Karbonum = much better engine fuel, possibly other uses (talking to another modder at the moment). And so far, Eve SSTO has been a bear - it will likely be Karbonium engines that do it.

I cant seem to get Karbonite to work. I got a lander to a hotspot and started up the drill but i get 0 karbonite even when leaving it in time warp for a long time. any ideas?
I have this same problem! Help please!

Sorry for the double post, but as you can see 0 Karbonite...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=304918088

Things that cause this: Bad version of ORS (most common), sometimes also TextureReplacer and ATM. What KSP version? Do you use KSPI? Do you use SCANSat? Do you use ATM or TR?

So, I have a karbonite-related dev question.

One of my (long-standing) issues in the B9 tracker has been to make the B9 AirCS work in non-oxigenated atmospheres.

I've always deferred it as 'post R5, and only with KSPi', because I never saw any point to duplicating the work already done there with switchable-resource intakes.

ResGen (the module we use in the AirCS part) can have fallback resources, so setting up IntakeAtm as alternative to IntakeAir is a non-issue, but what's got me scratching my head is the ModuleManager :NEEDS line so that the secondary resources block appears only when KSPi and ...? What's the dependency I'm looking for Karbonite? CommunityResourcePack?

Would :NEEDS[WarpPlugin|CommunityResourcePack] be correct? B9 R5 is nearly ready and I figure I might as well get that in.

That'sa good one.... it's bundled with CRP, so if you just need the resource, probably the easiest thing to do is to just take the CRP config (It works just fine without all of the ORS maps and is kinda the intent - i.e. one config file in a folder like Firespitter), just because there is no DLL to use ;)

That being said, if you need to use the intake code that comes with a DLL, you could grab either Karbonite (which includes some ORS extensions), or KSPI - but it would have to be an experimental version.

That'sa good one.... it's bundled with CRP, so if you just need the resource, probably the easiest thing to do is to just take the CRP config (It works just fine without all of the ORS maps and is kinda the intent - i.e. one config file in a folder like Firespitter), just because there is no DLL to use ;)

That being said, if you need to use the intake code that comes with a DLL, you could grab either Karbonite (which includes some ORS extensions), or KSPI - but it would have to be an experimental version.

I think its pointless to include the resource def if I'm not including the dll to make the intakes switchable and engines that can actually do something with that - I'd rather make the fallback resource block conditional on there being Karbonite/KSPi.

Actually, that gives me an idea, I need to see if MM can do NEEDS with resources. Using the presence of IntakeAtm as conditional is better than targeting specific mods.

I've always wanted to make the B9 SABRE Pre-Coolers functional/necessary, the idea being like the real ones they take air and a little cryofuel and turn it into supercooled air. KSPi gave me the idea it would be then neat to have an unpgrade where they can take non-oxygenated atmosphere and mix in oxidizer into it. Still, that's some ways off, so I'll take the low-handing fruit for now.

I just installed Karbonite ... and it crashed the game on startup. Of course, I'm not quite positive I'm doing this right, and I find myself wondering what Firespitter has to do with anything (in the folders I copied over to GameData).

Just removed all mods (which was only KAC 2.7.3.0 and KER 0.6.2.5) and it loaded, no idea what's with this.

Testing sequence:

add KAC 2.7.3.0 - PASS

add KER 0.6.2.5 - FAIL

change to KER 0.6.2.10 - FAIL

remove KER, change KAC to 2.7.8.2, add Mechjeb2 2.3.1.0 - PASS

Further note: went to contracts, the Kerbal looked VERY strange, went to VAB, controls missing, tried to quit and crashed ... how large is Karbonite?

Edited by Kryxal

Hey there, I got horrible lags when launching the "Karbonite detection array". It runs fine in the factory but once it launchs I got something like 1 FPS.

[LOG 19:39:15.646] Skipped rendering frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
[LOG 19:39:15.748] Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
[LOG 19:39:15.849] Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
[LOG 19:39:15.950] Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
[LOG 19:39:16.051] Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
[LOG 19:39:16.152] Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
[LOG 19:39:16.253] Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
[LOG 19:39:16.354] Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
[LOG 19:39:16.456] Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
And it goes on until I revert my fly to the factory...

According to the logs it could be something wrong with my graphic card ? I've got a GTX660 (2 GB of VRAM).

I never experienced this with my other mods.

It also seems to happen when extending the ventral drill (when it's retracted it runs fine). I didn't test yet with others parts.

I'm going to update my video card drivers (who knows).

EDIT: My drivers are already up to date (340.52)

Edited by Outpox

Hey there, I got horrible lags when launching the "Karbonite detection array". It runs fine in the factory but once it launchs I got something like 1 FPS.

[LOG 19:39:15.646] Skipped rendering frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
[LOG 19:39:15.748] Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
[LOG 19:39:15.849] Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
[LOG 19:39:15.950] Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
[LOG 19:39:16.051] Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
[LOG 19:39:16.152] Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
[LOG 19:39:16.253] Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
[LOG 19:39:16.354] Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
[LOG 19:39:16.456] Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
And it goes on until I revert my fly to the factory...

According to the logs it could be something wrong with my graphic card ? I've got a GTX660 (2 GB of VRAM).

I never experienced this with my other mods.

It also seems to happen when extending the ventral drill (when it's retracted it runs fine). I didn't test yet with others parts.

I'm going to update my video card drivers (who knows).

EDIT: My drivers are already up to date (340.52)

This message is posted nonstop when you (alt) tab out of KSP (I honestly don't know why SQUAD thinks thats useful, but they may have reasons. I don't know since I'm not a game dev). If you actually have an error message you'll have to scroll up to the beginning of this messages and look there.

I just installed Karbonite ... and it crashed the game on startup. Of course, I'm not quite positive I'm doing this right, and I find myself wondering what Firespitter has to do with anything (in the folders I copied over to GameData).

Just removed all mods (which was only KAC 2.7.3.0 and KER 0.6.2.5) and it loaded, no idea what's with this.

Testing sequence:

add KAC 2.7.3.0 - PASS

add KER 0.6.2.5 - FAIL

change to KER 0.6.2.10 - FAIL

remove KER, change KAC to 2.7.8.2, add Mechjeb2 2.3.1.0 - PASS

Further note: went to contracts, the Kerbal looked VERY strange, went to VAB, controls missing, tried to quit and crashed ... how large is Karbonite?

First off... everything is in there for a reason ;) Karbonite is maybe 40mb including ORS.

The Karbonite generator seems to behave strangely for me.

It seems to scale up power production as it's being drawn, however it never seem to produce enough to keep my batteries charged. Even though it still has headroom, it wont quite scale up meeting 100% of the demand. If i use solar panels to "help" it then the reactor just scales down some more, giving the same result. When i then turn off all the power draw, it does seem to keep generating electric charge at load it was last operating on, until the battery is charged.

Also the reactor puts out 1/1000 of it's listed power (100kw, as opposed to 100mw).

Is this by design or is something going on? Couldn't find the info on the wiki so i thought i'd ask here.

Ok so here's a pastebin of my flight log.

http://pastebin.com/bH7Dk9Aa

In this log my vessel is just a "Karbonite detection array" which I then launched. It started lagging even before I could see anything (the loading animation was slow as hell). When I could see the launchpad (still lagging) I alt-tabbed out and copied the flight log.

In a test in Kerbins atmosphere, Karbonite seems like it is much more efficient as a stand alone fuel with a Karbonite engine than refined into traditional fuel. Is this as intended?

afaik: yes, but it's less efficient

Things that cause this: Bad version of ORS (most common), sometimes also TextureReplacer and ATM. What KSP version? Do you use KSPI? Do you use SCANSat? Do you use ATM or TR?

I think my KSP version is 24.0 something, Ive got SCANSat, KAS, MechJeb2, and Karbonite 0.3.2.1

Do I need to get ORS or is it bundled in Karbonite?

Not at home atm so I'm not sure of any other versions.

The Karbonite generator seems to behave strangely for me.

It seems to scale up power production as it's being drawn, however it never seem to produce enough to keep my batteries charged. Even though it still has headroom, it wont quite scale up meeting 100% of the demand. If i use solar panels to "help" it then the reactor just scales down some more, giving the same result. When i then turn off all the power draw, it does seem to keep generating electric charge at load it was last operating on, until the battery is charged.

Also the reactor puts out 1/1000 of it's listed power (100kw, as opposed to 100mw).

Is this by design or is something going on? Couldn't find the info on the wiki so i thought i'd ask here.

By design - it does dynamic power generation which is very efficient.

Ok so here's a pastebin of my flight log.

http://pastebin.com/bH7Dk9Aa

In this log my vessel is just a "Karbonite detection array" which I then launched. It started lagging even before I could see anything (the loading animation was slow as hell). When I could see the launchpad (still lagging) I alt-tabbed out and copied the flight log.

You have duplicate ORS planetary resource definitions in your GameData somewhere - either an old MKS OKS version or the EL-> Karbonite mod or an old Karbonite version.

Someone mentioned earlier adding a kethane to karbonite converter. What about a khemistry lab that converts equal parts kethane and karbonite into science to be transmitted or recovered?

Folks are free to make whatever they will like, but any Kethane related stuff will never be part of the core mod due to licensing reasons, support reasons (Kethane's author is MIA and licensing prevents a torch-transfer), etc.

In a test in Kerbins atmosphere, Karbonite seems like it is much more efficient as a stand alone fuel with a Karbonite engine than refined into traditional fuel. Is this as intended?
afaik: yes, but it's less efficient

It's more a case of tradeoffs. Karbonite engines are high thrust low efficiency engines, and prone to overheat. So if anything, I'd see them as a peer to LFO with different characteristics.

Is there away to add the scanner to other dishes or scanners ? I added And that works for the ORS GumDrops but not for scansat.

There's a different set of configs for SCANSat.

Do Karbonite locations change each time you got to a planet?

I'm looking to scan for a landing site for a base, then land there later. but i'm unsure if the Karbonite locations change.

No they are static.

Do Karbonite locations change each time you got to a planet?

I'm looking to scan for a landing site for a base, then land there later. but i'm unsure if the Karbonite locations change.

No. Resource abundance maps in ORS are static PNG textures. For the foreseeable future, any good spot you find will be the same not only throughout your game, but in every game you play.

There's a different set of configs for SCANSat.

No they are static.

Sorry didn't say that right but can add the Karbonite scanner to anything but it's not showing on the scanscat maps the gumdrops still show trying to added the Karbonite scanner to a scanscat part.

Karbonum = much better engine fuel, possibly other uses (talking to another modder at the moment). And so far, Eve SSTO has been a bear - it will likely be Karbonium engines that do it.

I'm very new to KSP, so I'm not sure what all those mean. My KSP version is 0.24.2.559 and I use Mechjeb, Karbonite, and the unofficial B9 Aerospace repack. I may have downloaded one or two other mods but I don't remember what they were exactly, I just know they were ship parts. What is ORS?

Hey RoverDude, don't know if this was mentioned, but, besides supposed high concentrations of Karbonite in the air on other planets... are the hotspots on Kerbin for drilling only?

I one flied over and through the hotspot with 3 to 5 air scoops for my hybrid jet, and it's so slow to store 'em up, in flight. I mean, I'm not expecting a HUGE boost, when doing so, but something minor to make the science of air sampling a bit easier, to understand and experiment with (until I can figure out how to transport a jet/spaceplane/vehicle onto Eve; most likely with super-heavy Rockets... or just heavy rockets... either which in asparagus formation).

I'm very new to KSP, so I'm not sure what all those mean. My KSP version is 0.24.2.559 and I use Mechjeb, Karbonite, and the unofficial B9 Aerospace repack. I may have downloaded one or two other mods but I don't remember what they were exactly, I just know they were ship parts. What is ORS?

ORS is Open Resource System, a plugin to define and distribute resources around Kerbol system, designed to be extensible by anyone. originally was used in KSPI.

Hey RoverDude, don't know if this was mentioned, but, besides supposed high concentrations of Karbonite in the air on other planets... are the hotspots on Kerbin for drilling only?

I one flied over and through the hotspot with 3 to 5 air scoops for my hybrid jet, and it's so slow to store 'em up, in flight. I mean, I'm not expecting a HUGE boost, when doing so, but something minor to make the science of air sampling a bit easier, to understand and experiment with (until I can figure out how to transport a jet/spaceplane/vehicle onto Eve; most likely with super-heavy Rockets... or just heavy rockets... either which in asparagus formation).

Concentrations are planetary crust only - oceanic and atmospheric are absolute.

Could we get Karbonite on Eeloo? I have a brave crew that spent 24 years flying and managed to land on fumes only to discover there is no Karbonite to be had for refueling. Same ship refueled just fine on Pol on the way out so I know its working, just not on Eeloo. Latest version, no other mods.

RoverDude -

Raptor 831 and I are working on creating an integration config for RealFuels and Karbonite. One issue I've noticed that we have is with the way that atmospheric resources are defined. All atmospheric resources in your config take the form of:

ATMOSPHERIC_RESOURCE_DEFINITION

{

name = AtmosphericKarbonite

guiName = Karbonite

resourceName = Karbonite

celestialBodyName = Planet

abundance = 0.XXXX

}

All of them have the same name field which, afaik, makes it impossible to adjust the relative abundance on a specific planet using module manager. Is there a chance that the definitions could be renamed so that the planet's name is included in the resource definition's name?

Edit: also, is that abundance a ratio, or a percent? i.e. does Jool's abndance of .7217 mean it is is 72.17% Karbonite, or .7217% Karbonite?

Edited by lordkrike