[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

i screwed around with the distribution on github, added more planets.

not sure how to test it, or if it'll even work though.

Edit:

everything i did was useless and was deleted lol

Edited by lIAceI

i screwed around with the distribution on github, added more planets.

not sure how to test it, or if it'll even work though.

Edit:

everything i did was useless and was deleted lol

I closed the pull request because randomization is already built in, and for any given planet and any given biome, there's a fallback already. What you gave me would have made every biome on a planet the same, which kinda defeats the purpose of biome level resources.

Are you using SCANsat 8.1, the current stable version? If so, it has no Regolith support yet. Try the dev version, it's usually mostly stable, and it does have Regolith support. 9.4 or thereabouts at the time of this post.

Is it possible to transfer karbonite from tank to tank using KAS? If so could someone please explain how to. TY

Just like any other fuel, Click first tank, alt-click the second tank, click In or Out on the last tank.

Can anyone comment on which altitude I need to be parked at on Jool in order to get the Advanced Part. Collector to work? I guess I am a bit confused as to how these changed from .25 to 0.90.0 -- thanks in advance...donated to this mod over xmas because you guys are awesome! Thanks!

It looks really awesome, my problem is that you have to use specific engines. :(

Or take a converter with you to use whatever engine you like :)

Drilling up Liquid Fuel and Oxidiser on the Munar surface just seems... terribly, terribly wrong.

Is there any reason in particular why no parts are on the tech tree? If you'd like, I can go through all the .cfgs and add in a node. I have plenty of free time atm. :)

Interesting... I installed this via CKAN and none of the parts are on the tech tree. Whatever, this must be some weird conflict with one of the 39 mods I have installed.

Never mind me!

Edited by jandcando

Is there any reason in particular why no parts are on the tech tree? If you'd like, I can go through all the .cfgs and add in a node. I have plenty of free time atm. :)

Are you using TechManager, and another tree besides the Community Tech Tree? That will cause it if you have Community Tech Tree installed and are not using it.

If this is the case, then either use CTT or delete it, Parts will revert to default nodes.

If none of the above applies, you might have a bad install or have downloaded an old version.

latest versions are on Roverdudes dropbox, Here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1fsuzvl35s2gppt/AAD8kNgBm6rO9m4paXmwuqA0a

Scanning seeming to be working fine, its listing a concentration of Karbonite in the crust. And seeming you dont have the map open, that picture really doesnt say anything about whether its working or not.

Just in case, you know that the big orange balls indicating locations of karbonite have been taken out right?

It says I installed mods correctly.

Should have install the latest version of SCANsat as well, everything works now.

I am sorry.

Yes, I know about hotspots on new version of karbonite, but there are no information about them in MKS/OKS thread.

Edited by OTHOAB

I'm still playing in 0.25 so maybe this has been fixed. I'd like for the particle collector to show the power consumption in the VAB. When I lift 5 of these into orbit and start them the power consumption kills the satellite which funny enough still seems to then collect karbonite. The power usage is ~6 kW per collector or so I learned.

Are there any plans for Karbonite parts for the new spaceplane parts in the last two updates? I'm specifically thinking of things like drills rather than engines. A drill part that was fuselage shaped would be perfect, right now putting the drills in the cargo bays, especially for the smaller spaceplanes, is a bit awkward.

If we had that the potential would be amazing.

Could someone please direct me to somewhere I can read up on this mod a bit? I'm a bit lost on things like, how drills connect to tanks to store Karbonite.. How to set up a craft with gear on it to start mining on another planet.. that kind of stuff. :) thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

First and foremost, thanks a LOT for all your work on the mods RoverDude, it kicks some serious a$$ :D

I have a weird bug here however: I have looked everywhere in the parts and can't find the Atmosphere Scoops and the engines running on karbonite (rocket engines, radial engines, reactors, well none of them). I've looked for them in Sandbox Mode, so it's not a problem of not having done the research yet. I've also tried looking through the various filters (by tech level, by resource, by manufacturer etc) with no better luck. All the other karbonite parts appear I think (I've got various tanks, the karbonite drills, ocean extractor, the generator, the converter and the detector, all visible in the tech tree, the VAB and SPH and fully fonctional).

Any idea what goes wrong?

Maybe I need a special mod to activate them?

I'm using:

- Karbonite 0.5.1

- KSP 0.90.705

- ModuleManager.2.5.9.dll (did not work better with previous 2.5.4 version)

Just for your information (in case you see any possibility of compatibility issue), here are the other installed mods:

- KAS 0.4.10 (in which I can't find the Connector you put on a winch, neither can I find the hook storage parts)

- ScanSat v9rc4.1

- Kerbal Alarm Clock 3.1.2.0

- KerbalEngineer 1.0.14.1

- Procedural Fairings 3.11

- Transfer Window Planner 1.2.2.0

- no other mod installed, that's all.

Thanks in advance if you can help! If not, well, I'll have to try again with next the version :blush:

SnakyLeVrai

Hi,

First and foremost, thanks a LOT for all your work on the mods RoverDude, it kicks some serious a$$ :D

I have a weird bug here however: I have looked everywhere in the parts and can't find the Atmosphere Scoops and the engines running on karbonite (rocket engines, radial engines, reactors, well none of them). I've looked for them in Sandbox Mode, so it's not a problem of not having done the research yet. I've also tried looking through the various filters (by tech level, by resource, by manufacturer etc) with no better luck. All the other karbonite parts appear I think (I've got various tanks, the karbonite drills, ocean extractor, the generator, the converter and the detector, all visible in the tech tree, the VAB and SPH and fully fonctional).

Any idea what goes wrong?

Maybe I need a special mod to activate them?

I'm using:

- Karbonite 0.5.1

- KSP 0.90.705

- ModuleManager.2.5.9.dll (did not work better with previous 2.5.4 version)

Just for your information (in case you see any possibility of compatibility issue), here are the other installed mods:

- KAS 0.4.10 (in which I can't find the Connector you put on a winch, neither can I find the hook storage parts)

- ScanSat v9rc4.1

- Kerbal Alarm Clock 3.1.2.0

- KerbalEngineer 1.0.14.1

- Procedural Fairings 3.11

- Transfer Window Planner 1.2.2.0

- no other mod installed, that's all.

Thanks in advance if you can help! If not, well, I'll have to try again with next the version :blush:

SnakyLeVrai

Go to your GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\Karbonite\Parts folder, see if you have a folder called KA_AtmScoop_01 there.

If it does, then you should have it. Look carefully for the atmosphere scoop in Aero.

Otherwise, look for parts filter by modules. Search for Resource Intake module. It should have the scoops, since the scoops, along with a few other karbonite powered engines use that module for intake atm.

Edited by RainDreamer

Hi RainDreamer,

Thanks a lot for your answer!

Well, I guess I have found the problem. It was precisely located between the chair and the keyboard. Your message pointed me to the right direction.

When I installed Karbonite, I thought the /UmbraSpaceIndustries/ level was a mistake and put the /Karbonite/ folder directly into GameData (so I had a GameData/Karbonite/ structure). When I opened (for the 50th time this week) the KA_AtmScoop_125_01.cfg file, I noticed it was pointing to the model in GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karbonite/...etc instead of GameData/Karbonite/...etc. All the models that were not affected by the issue did not have this line, the model was affected by some other code somewhere. This is why it did not behave well.

Sooooooooo I put the /Karbonite/ folder into a nice, brand new and shiny /UmbraSpaceIndustries/ folder, added more boosters and poof! it all sorted itself out. Now I'm gonna celebrate my victory over a glass of brandy, looking at dawn and meditating about the the importance of being earnest.

Thanks again!

SnakyLeVrai

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am experiencing an issue with this mod. After installing it, the game loads but as soon as the game menu should appear, it crashes to windows.

Honestly, I did not read all the pages in this thread, too many. So far I couldn't find any help at all. Can some of you tell me what's wrong?

I do have already installed Scansat, KSP I, Kethane, and using windows 8.1 (fon't know if it may help, but those where the mods that may affect I think)

It was one of my very first thoughts, however, I have 8Gb of ram (I am running Star Citizen at full res, is this game that ram consuming?).

However you may be right, removing few random mods it makes the game ocassionally work. It now starts but it ctd very often

A) KSP is 32-bit unless otherwise specified (which should only be done on linux anyway...) which limits it to ~3-3.5GB

B) KSP's memory management is almost non-existent. Everything gets loaded at the start so adding a dozen parts increases memory usage even if you never use them.

C) v0.90 has developed or emphasised a rather alarming number of memory leaks.

Basically, monitoring and reducing memory usage is a rather large priority for modded KSP. Using Active Texture Management, forcing it to use OpenGL or Dx11 on windows and pruning unused parts from the GameData folder are all common ways to reduce memory footprint.

A) KSP is 32-bit unless otherwise specified (which should only be done on linux anyway...) which limits it to ~3-3.5GB

B) KSP's memory management is almost non-existent. Everything gets loaded at the start so adding a dozen parts increases memory usage even if you never use them.

C) v0.90 has developed or emphasised a rather alarming number of memory leaks.

Basically, monitoring and reducing memory usage is a rather large priority for modded KSP. Using Active Texture Management, forcing it to use OpenGL or Dx11 on windows and pruning unused parts from the GameData folder are all common ways to reduce memory footprint.

That explanins many things. Thank you very much. I will try Active Texture Management as soon as I can