[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

A) KSP is 32-bit unless otherwise specified (which should only be done on linux anyway...) which limits it to ~3-3.5GB

B) KSP's memory management is almost non-existent. Everything gets loaded at the start so adding a dozen parts increases memory usage even if you never use them.

C) v0.90 has developed or emphasised a rather alarming number of memory leaks.

Basically, monitoring and reducing memory usage is a rather large priority for modded KSP. Using Active Texture Management, forcing it to use OpenGL or Dx11 on windows and pruning unused parts from the GameData folder are all common ways to reduce memory footprint.

Even though the KSP Dev said not to support 64 bit, have they said anything about improved memory management, like only loading the parts you actualy use before loading an vessel and unloading after you no longer use it?

Edited by FreeThinker

Nothing at all, and I really doubt there will be anything like that at this stage. I think the best we can hope for is that they've really clamped down hard on the leaks.

I guess KSP was never ment to grow as it did. It was supposed to be a small indy game, fun for a while before being discarted. They never seem to have imagined the scale it could grow into, and therefore never anticipated that the 32bit memory limit would be a strain that would eventualy limit KSP.

Could someone please direct me to somewhere I can read up on this mod a bit? I'm a bit lost on things like, how drills connect to tanks to store Karbonite.. How to set up a craft with gear on it to start mining on another planet.. that kind of stuff. :) thanks in advance.

This. Maybe you could put a link to a guide in the OP?

- - - Updated - - -

If SCANsat is installed, the Karbonite Detection Array will have SCANsat functionality for detecting Karbonite. "Start resource scan" on the Karbonite sensor, then go into SCANsat settings and set the resource overlay to Karbonite.

What if Scansat isn't installed?

I've encountered a frustrating bug when using the small converter on a surface rover with the radial drill, which docks to a larger orbital shuttle using a KAS winch. I landed the two on Pol, as one ship, and was drilling and converting into the large LFO tank on the orbiter. Once I separated the two, and then docked again using the winch (which, fully retracted, was how they were connected when I was getting successful fuel conversion and transfer, as well as at launch) the converter now reports "no space", even though there is a large Kerbodine tank sitting at least partially empty. The ships are together and I can transfer Mono between the two vessels via the winch cable, so that's confirmed attachment. I've also tried connecting with the pipe connector, and same result. The rover has two Karry Kans, one with LF and the other Ox, but when I drill with the rover alone, I still get "no space" even though there are empty Karry Kans attached.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, since manual fuel transfer is successful when they're docked. Is this something with the way Karbonite recognizes tanks as part of a ship, or maybe with the way that KAS describes attachment? Either way this is frustrating since I spent millions setting up this operation at the edge of the solar system. The celestial bodies in Outer Planet Mod are waiting...

Tip: If your generator is over 1% load even when not needed, try flipping it upside-down. This way you can keep the generator on in sunlight and not worry about wasted Karbonite.

If you have a Karbonite drilling rig with a generator and a LFO converter, you can ensure the generator draws Karbonite first by placing it on the correct end of the generator. This is important if you don't have enough Karbonite coming in to satisfy the demand. This will keep the rig running electrically at night and use the surplus Karbonite to generate fuel.

• 2 weeks later...

Running into an odd issue: when I click on the "start scan" button on the detection array (and also on the resource scanner from MKS) it blinks then goes back to initial state. Anyone else run into this issue of not being able to start the scan?

Possibly connected: on SCANSat it doesn't show any of the resources, Karbonite, etc. I just downloaded the newest versions of SCANSat, Regolith, MKS, Karbonite, and Karbonite+.

• 2 weeks later...
Running into an odd issue: when I click on the "start scan" button on the detection array (and also on the resource scanner from MKS) it blinks then goes back to initial state. Anyone else run into this issue of not being able to start the scan?

Possibly connected: on SCANSat it doesn't show any of the resources, Karbonite, etc. I just downloaded the newest versions of SCANSat, Regolith, MKS, Karbonite, and Karbonite+.

Same problem here; SCANSat will scan but won't let me use the bigmap function in order to display Karbonite. (Bigmap button displays a 100x200 pixel grey rectangle, instead.)

Also same thing with the Karbonite and MKS scanner they don't start scanning.

:confused: