[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

I've been reading this thread with much eagerness. I've got a point and a question:

The economics of Karbonite: it should be cheaper than what you convert it into. Nobody's going to buy expensive crude oil, refine it, and sell it for cheaper gasoline.

Replenishing deposits: Has there been any thought to replenishing deposits? One of the things I didn't like about Kethane was that deposits could dry up. I can understand making them dry up, but I'd like them to replenish with time so I could revisit a field and get more out of it. Plus, if they replenished with time you could make them dry up faster. Or is the whole concept of a field drying up not going to be in this mod, and fields will just "always work"?

Karbonite uses ORS, which is basically the KSPI ressource system. Fields do not dry up, they are infinite afaik, but you have to find a good spot to harvest it, because concentrations are different all over the planet (and the lower the concentration, the lower the extraction rate).

SCANsat has been updated with Karbonite support for ORS overlays: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80661?p=1301456&viewfull=1#post1301456

Attach this module to whatever part you want to act as the scanner, or change the bitmask to the proper value to combine it with other resource types.

@PART[*your_part_name*]:FOR[Karbonite]:NEEDS[SCANsat]
{
MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 262144
fov = 4
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 750000
best_alt = 100000
scanName = Karbonite Scan
power = 0.5
}
}

Thanks! Adding now.

Nothing saying you couldn't create a new, valuable resource whose purpose is to be returned to Kerbin for mad stacks of cash. Perhaps the elusive element, hemhemjamib.

At least, I assume that's how moddable Karbonite will be. If I can add or edit resources just by editing some text files I will be one happy customer.

It's still ORS, so you can happily add away using that. But the nice bit is that all code, models, etc. are CC 4.0 so there are no license issues when people want to extend it. So less a matter of it being buit for moddability, and more a case of it being built to be modder friendly.

I've been reading this thread with much eagerness. I've got a point and a question:

The economics of Karbonite: it should be cheaper than what you convert it into. Nobody's going to buy expensive crude oil, refine it, and sell it for cheaper gasoline.

Replenishing deposits: Has there been any thought to replenishing deposits? One of the things I didn't like about Kethane was that deposits could dry up. I can understand making them dry up, but I'd like them to replenish with time so I could revisit a field and get more out of it. Plus, if they replenished with time you could make them dry up faster. Or is the whole concept of a field drying up not going to be in this mod, and fields will just "always work"?

Concur on price, and folks can always play with values and extend the mod.

Karbonite uses ORS, which is basically the KSPI ressource system. Fields do not dry up, they are infinite afaik, but you have to find a good spot to harvest it, because concentrations are different all over the planet (and the lower the concentration, the lower the extraction rate).

What this guy said.

Highly interested, and willing to try and do things that require a limited understanding of KSP.

Also, has this already been released in dev?

Soon. Just coded auto-generator shutoff, so the generators are done. The tank is already done. A detector is worked into the stock antenna so that is done. I just need to start working the code for the drill, then we're on the cusp of a first VERY rough alpha.

Could we possibly make it so that Karbonite collection takes place in the background?

Not sure the game engine permits that but I'm guessing its possible with .... programming.

Model is looking awesome. :)

Not sure the game engine permits that but I'm guessing its possible with .... programming.

Definitely doable. When the vessel comes into focus, the mod would need to retrieve the last time it was in focus as well as the current time, then compute the difference between the two. by knowing the extraction rates, you'll know how much karbonite you've pulled from the environment.

Was not thinking in those terms, but I expect it's only a matter of time before someone adds spice as a resource.

And only found on Duna I suspect.

More serious note, was thinking of using the mouth of the worms as a model for the big ram-scoop. Opens up and looks like row upon concentric row of teeth inside it.

Pretty much finished the ram scoop! Still need to mess around with the scale, something odd happened and it grew on the way from Max to KSP.

http://imgur.com/a/BLaE6

Awesome looking!! .... animation man!

Suggestion I know that electromagnetic fields are invisible (generally) but for coolness factor what about some fx in the center for the field generation? :)

I would love some faint streaks of ionizing particles flying into it when active. No idea how to do that though.

I'll send RoverDude the model once I fix the scale and add a little more detail to the outside (a couple access covers near the bottom)

I might make a radial mount scoop to match next.

And only found on Duna I suspect.

More serious note, was thinking of using the mouth of the worms as a model for the big ram-scoop. Opens up and looks like row upon concentric row of teeth inside it.

or maybe make it more like the bardings of a whale (think that's the right word?), to filter the karbonite particles out.

I am thinking of adding alternate forms of karbonite, and possible some rare form of 'spice'. Don't think I know enough modding to make it so that the presence of spice in a ship with kerbals makes it 'drain' in a tiny tiny way, and reduces the smarts of kerbals as long as they're on that ship. but that'd be cool. For now, I'll stick to different forms of Karbonite.

I really wish that we had a prerelease. I am actually getting really tired of Kethane and would love to be able to replace it. I was thinking of trying to re-engineer all of the Kethane parts into ORS parts, but this would be able to do it for me. I really am trying to use MKS and EPL to set up permenant resupply and for profit harvesting bases around the Kerbol system, and beyond once the other plugins for new solar systems are more complete. I am already going to be using asteroids as my base hubs and storage thanks to Hollow Asteroids. This would be a godsend. Please get an Alpha Prerelease up so I can play with it.

I really wish that we had a prerelease. I am actually getting really tired of Kethane and would love to be able to replace it. I was thinking of trying to re-engineer all of the Kethane parts into ORS parts, but this would be able to do it for me. I really am trying to use MKS and EPL to set up permenant resupply and for profit harvesting bases around the Kerbol system, and beyond once the other plugins for new solar systems are more complete. I am already going to be using asteroids as my base hubs and storage thanks to Hollow Asteroids. This would be a godsend. Please get an Alpha Prerelease up so I can play with it.

RoverDude is almost done with coding for a first release, but this will be a very early alpha.

Could we possibly make it so that Karbonite collection takes place in the background?

Yes, in the works. Not for alpha - I want to get folks gathering and testing as fast as possible - but definitely on the books. The rub is making sure people do not game the system by going on rails with insufficient power to run their extractor and excavator. And that gets tricky with solar panels, etc. so I need to noodle over something that's nice and abstract.

Agreed, I love this!

Definitely doable. When the vessel comes into focus, the mod would need to retrieve the last time it was in focus as well as the current time, then compute the difference between the two. by knowing the extraction rates, you'll know how much karbonite you've pulled from the environment.

Oh - handling rates is the easy bit. Handling resource drain/sufficient EC is more entertaining.

I would love some faint streaks of ionizing particles flying into it when active. No idea how to do that though.

I'll send RoverDude the model once I fix the scale and add a little more detail to the outside (a couple access covers near the bottom)

I might make a radial mount scoop to match next.

If you can get me the FBX and textures (vs a mu) I can add particle effects in unity ;)

This weekend. I'm on a plane today, most of the core parts are done, just handling the extractor and it's animations (resolving a collider issue, need a texture). Initial parts pack is just going to be the 2.5m set - extractor, tank, and converter. I'll whip up a truss platform for the belly extractor, and that will pretty much be it. But enough for people to test the core mechanics, then we add in new parts as folks get me stuff.

You're using the EPL drills for this mod right? would it be possible to retexture it so it's more in line with the other parts for this mod?

Also that scoop is looking real nice, could you give it some huge drag coefficient when active?

You're using the EPL drills for this mod right? would it be possible to retexture it so it's more in line with the other parts for this mod?

Also that scoop is looking real nice, could you give it some huge drag coefficient when active?

I have a lovely belly-slung drill from nertea that I just need some collider work on. I'll look at the EPL drills and see if I can fiddle with textures :) Fortunately I have PSP and I have nertea's pallete to go off of.

If you're looking to continue with rocket part production without kethane, I've gotten a module manager file that adds the ability to make rocketparts out of metal to 3 MKS structures. that being said, the production is VERY slow, as I've stuck quite closely to the amount of metal used for the MKS production processes (so a harvester can keep up with demand I thought; haven't had the time to test this at high ore concentrations yet). so either I need to add a few tags allowing more rocketparts per unit of metal to be build and a module manager patch to reduce the value of rocketparts in line with that (which feels cheaty)

Edited by Carcharhinidae