[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

About the drill, can we have a bottom attach node for it with some sort of fairing around it? I was thinking a simple skeletal fairing would look awesome.

Otherwise hauling a rig out on a rocket would be a major headache. Unless you flip it, that is.

Regarding magnetic lines for the air scoop: who says the karbonite has to be pure? Perhaps it is an "ore" in the atmoshpere that is combined with something else. That something else refletcs sunlight, so at least during the day you should be able to see something. The particles could then show the mag lines like iron filings does when sprinkled around magnets. :)

If you're looking to continue with rocket part production without kethane, I've gotten a module manager file that adds the ability to make rocketparts out of metal to 3 MKS structures. that being said, the production is VERY slow, as I've stuck quite closely to the amount of metal used for the MKS production processes (so a harvester can keep up with demand I thought; haven't had the time to test this at high ore concentrations yet). so either I need to add a few tags allowing more rocketparts per unit of metal to be build and a module manager patch to reduce the value of rocketparts in line with that (which feels cheaty)

Excellent - licensing wise you're fine with MKS, and I believe the EL license is even more permissive (but please check). Once you have balance sorted out let me know and I can make this a permanent part of the MKS mod.

About the drill, can we have a bottom attach node for it with some sort of fairing around it? I was thinking a simple skeletal fairing would look awesome.

Otherwise hauling a rig out on a rocket would be a major headache. Unless you flip it, that is.

Building this :) It will be a cage that covers the drill in closed-mode with integrated landing struts.

Regarding magnetic lines for the air scoop: who says the karbonite has to be pure? Perhaps it is an "ore" in the atmoshpere that is combined with something else. That something else refletcs sunlight, so at least during the day you should be able to see something. The particles could then show the mag lines like iron filings does when sprinkled around magnets. :)

Plus particles are cool.

Sent you a PM with the files.

Thank you for being awesome!

Oh - handling rates is the easy bit. Handling resource drain/sufficient EC is more entertaining.

Maybe that can be extrapolated. I'm just brainstorming here... You know the total EC capacity, I guess the real problem is knowing exactly what produces the EC. If it's all solar, then half the time you'd be in darkness so you'd have to look at batteries. Heck, maybe the way around the issue is to require that MKS power plant to be part of the vessel/base, and make sure it has enough EC to run the equipment. That way, you know the source and the EC production rate.

Maybe that can be extrapolated. I'm just brainstorming here... You know the total EC capacity, I guess the real problem is knowing exactly what produces the EC. If it's all solar, then half the time you'd be in darkness so you'd have to look at batteries. Heck, maybe the way around the issue is to require that MKS power plant to be part of the vessel/base, and make sure it has enough EC to run the equipment. That way, you know the source and the EC production rate.

I was looking at the former. Or allow a drill already operational and 'primed' to burn off a portion of it's fuel during rails operations, thus if it sees a Karbonite generator on the ship, it will switch to rails mode, using that to power generators, converters, etc. - or just warp with solar power. Dunno, I am open to ideas. But want something nice and simple to plug in :)

you could even add a tag of this form to the parts (say.. Karbonite_Power = x, with x in EC/s) that way people like me could with even just module manager easily hook into the system. and it'd make it independant of MKS or anything.

Excellent - licensing wise you're fine with MKS, and I believe the EL license is even more permissive (but please check). Once you have balance sorted out let me know and I can make this a permanent part of the MKS mod.

erm. I just don't know what this'd fall under. since I'm not using anything from EL, it's just a seperate file that allows you to make rocketparts in the MKS/OKS workshops. which reminds me. I should look into those requirement conditions for MM, since we don't want to have a redundant option in MKS that only produces recycleable materials from metal (and only a fraction at that. XD)

as for balance. it uses the efficiency of EL (with one step cut out. because I figured that was really simple to do in EL as well given enough power), so I just took a proces of yours that takes metal, and adjusted the produced rocketparts to fit that amount of metal, minus a fraction into recycleable material. so because I'm not using crazy amounts of metal, I'd say it's a little underproducing compared to EL+Kethane. (I'm not entirely sure how your speeds are handled. but you seem to use no more then 0.051 metal, so production is set at 0.050 for now. I'm guessing with 3 modules working at 100% that would mean 0.15 production per second? I personally feel that is low. very low, but...)

Edited by Carcharhinidae

Well, I've just finished up the texture and animations for the drill :). Not completely happy with it yet, but it'll do for a first pass!

And here's the cage and landing gear module to hold it - all a single part, and you can even slap stuff on the cages outside. A 2.5m part fits exactly inside with a few cm to spare before it hits the cage trusses or landing gear.

93yi9em.png

We're almost at first release!

So here's the deal. There will be a first cut of this tomorrow. Would be sooner, but I will be in the air. Rest assured, I'll be testing this while flying ;)

Anyone who has any tanks, I'll take those (textured please). Otherwise, we launch with one.

We have a drill.

We have a landing system.

We have a converter (operational, animated, and doesn't waste resources)

and we have a tank.

ORS is set up with some default maps, and detection is handled with stock parts. The resource is created, so really we're pretty much at go time.

Oceanic and atmospheric will come next, plus tons of balancing, tweaks, random maps, etc. - this will be a dev cut, with the intent of getting our scrappy startup release out to the world (hopefully) by Sunday as an alpha preview.

Once this hits, I will toss an open call for testers, and release everyone to have fun :)

Out for now, gotta go work on setting up the plugin for this drill ;)

Not that I don't think it looks darn spiffy but for the sake of part catalog clutter why give the drill a whole dedicated fairing/landing leg part? why not just give it a hidden jettisonable fairing like they do for engines?

Still need landing legs, and those were kinda a pain when I was doing some playtesting. Plus, less parts, it's a bit people have asked me for in the past anyway, and it comes with a wide track (those pistons stick out about half a meter each) because landing heavy mining rigs is a pain. Plus I had to get in at least one part in all of this other awesomeness ;)

True, but still not a reason to not give the drill a bottom node and its own jettisonable fairing. Its a simple addition that adds to how the part can be used. Also it would be a bit of a nightmare if the dedicated landing gear and drill were on separate tech nodes (or a nightmare for the OCD if they were on the same tech node)

We're almost at first release!

So here's the deal. There will be a first cut of this tomorrow. Would be sooner, but I will be in the air. Rest assured, I'll be testing this while flying ;)

Sounds awesome. I've also KSP'd while flying. It's fun :)

We have a drill.

We have a landing system.

We have a converter (operational, animated, and doesn't waste resources)

and we have a tank.

Yeah, well we have a Hulk.

Sorry, just one of the best quotes from that very quotable movie.

ORS is set up with some default maps, and detection is handled with stock parts. The resource is created, so really we're pretty much at go time.

Once this hits, I will toss an open call for testers, and release everyone to have fun :)

Can't wait! Well, I can wait, obviously. But still. You know what I mean.

Anyone who has any tanks, I'll take those (textured please). Otherwise, we launch with one.

Sent a VTS tank for Karbonite. For anyone who hasn't used VTS, its a small container mod configured for use with KAS features.

AUP0gud.png

Here is a first pass texture.

http://i.imgur.com/gKDGhHO.png

Any ideas on how to make it fit in better with Nertea's and Nli2Work's parts?

Looking good! You could make the intake grilles dark grey - we seem to be doing that with out stuff. You could also change the stripe up top to red/black rather than red/light grey - again, that's the trim colours we seem to be using.

Aside from that, you could try putting some caution tape around the intake itself, and maybe drawing a maintenance hatch or similar on the back area to flesh it out some.

because landing heavy mining rigs is a pain

First off, many thanks for this mod!

Secondly, if I may be so bold - landing heavy rigs is half the fun!

screenshot24.png?psid=1

Once Karboniteâ„¢ is fleshed out, I want to use your parts to make even more monster rigs! :confused::D

Not that I don't think it looks darn spiffy but for the sake of part catalog clutter why give the drill a whole dedicated fairing/landing leg part? why not just give it a hidden jettisonable fairing like they do for engines?

Plus you can use the legs om other parts.

I've used the mks legs for an easy connection point for my refueller rigs for testing.

Pretty much finished the ram scoop! Still need to mess around with the scale, something odd happened and it grew on the way from Max to KSP.

http://imgur.com/a/BLaE6

Any chance this could have dual intake duties, for either air or kerbonite?, with the open/extended variety adding large amounts of drag?

Check your PM RoverDude. :D

http://i.imgur.com/yqOtQFU.png

Wowsers! Neato burrito!

Okay, I read this thread front to back in about 3 hours. I'm super impressed and happy for all involved. Very good start to a great project.

Edited by Wren

True, but still not a reason to not give the drill a bottom node and its own jettisonable fairing. Its a simple addition that adds to how the part can be used. Also it would be a bit of a nightmare if the dedicated landing gear and drill were on separate tech nodes (or a nightmare for the OCD if they were on the same tech node)

Fairings are part of the model. so for now no fairings. I don't understand what's OCD about having a drill and it's sister part on the same node, but guess I will find out at release ;) And anyone is free to add more drills and other goodies - wide open CC type stuff. I love contributions, sharing is good!

Sent a VTS tank for Karbonite. For anyone who hasn't used VTS, its a small container mod configured for use with KAS features.

Thank you sir :) I may also borrow these as little radial tanks for micro miners. Did you send via PM?

http://i.imgur.com/AUP0gud.png

First off, many thanks for this mod!

Secondly, if I may be so bold - landing heavy rigs is half the fun!

https://4q2bdq.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pzR4BYCaqsi0D2x7Qy4j0zlymkfVAdFDYqbUGkOb_6aG2VKQ5et7csH2bP2R3P5poQ8_54adzgjUFevFf_1PacfraZqAuWG8pCgrtt9qR9S4/screenshot24.png?psid=1

Once Karboniteâ„¢ is fleshed out, I want to use your parts to make even more monster rigs! :confused::D

Lovely stuff!

Check your PM RoverDude. :D

http://i.imgur.com/yqOtQFU.png

Thank you! Going to get these snuck into pre-release (which I can now focus on as I am back home, despite a delayed flight)

Any chance this could have dual intake duties, for either air or kerbonite?, with the open/extended variety adding large amounts of drag?

Wowsers! Neato burrito!

Okay, I read this thread front to back in about 3 hours. I'm super impressed and happy for all involved. Very good start to a great project.

I'll see :) Worst case, just pull request an alternate config. Changing the drag model would be a plugin then you get into fun stuff like FAR/etc...