[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

That's some gorgeous work :)

On my side I found out that ORS did not in fact actually have built in atmospheric support... so I've had to add it (mostly by pulling bits out of the KSPI side and refactoring them to work purely with ORS). Not as horrible as it sounds, but still a pain. Down to the very last bits, which is mostly debugging. Oceanic and Atmospheric will be in the next patch.

For those that missed it:

Atmospheric on Jool (lots), Laythe (trace), Kerbin (trace, just so people can test designs)

Oceanic on Eve (Lots), Laythe (trace), Kerbin (trace, see above).

That's some gorgeous work :)

On my side I found out that ORS did not in fact actually have built in atmospheric support... so I've had to add it (mostly by pulling bits out of the KSPI side and refactoring them to work purely with ORS). Not as horrible as it sounds, but still a pain. Down to the very last bits, which is mostly debugging. Oceanic and Atmospheric will be in the next patch.

For those that missed it:

Atmospheric on Jool (lots), Laythe (trace), Kerbin (trace, just so people can test designs)

YUM! Those models look amazing also. I had a couple of things about both topics I was curious about, figured its best to just go ahead and ask them cos I'm bound to not be the only one wondering.

First one, the karbonite engines being produced, are these likely to have fuel mode toggles or are they strictly karbonite engines? Those things look great and I'd be keen to use some of them with LF/LFO as well.

The other one was in terms of the atmospheric collection. Was curious how you were looking at dealing with the other gases that have been mentioned. Are you running with the concept of "collect Xenon from the atmosphere" with what is being collected as a toggle or "collect karbonite from the atmosphere and convert it" which means converters and toggles of what to convert to. I will say I personally favour the former but I'll work with what i get :)

YUM! Those models look amazing also. I had a couple of things about both topics I was curious about, figured its best to just go ahead and ask them cos I'm bound to not be the only one wondering.

First one, the karbonite engines being produced, are these likely to have fuel mode toggles or are they strictly karbonite engines? Those things look great and I'd be keen to use some of them with LF/LFO as well.

The other one was in terms of the atmospheric collection. Was curious how you were looking at dealing with the other gases that have been mentioned. Are you running with the concept of "collect Xenon from the atmosphere" with what is being collected as a toggle or "collect karbonite from the atmosphere and convert it" which means converters and toggles of what to convert to. I will say I personally favour the former but I'll work with what i get :)

Strictly Karbonite out of the box - especially since I have to handle air intake on Eve without making the whole thing totally breaky. But a multi-fuel or hybrid option would be interesting down the road.

Atmo will be the former as that's how KSPI works

Since Kethane has the KH4 thing (I think that is the chemical recipe or somehting like that), what will karbonite have?

karbonite .. maby some carbone? and hydrogen ( so we could extrackt fuel from it) and oxygen maby C2H5OH :P noo just kidding but not so much

This thread is going at break neck speed (which is awesome) so I may have missed the boat on this but with regards to modding this to work with other mods:

I have been creating add-ons for Kethane for a while now which add extra resources, changes the kethane balance to make it harder to use and adding tanks to the kethane converters (to get round the routing issue). This is all done with MM scripts and extra tanks so its a case of the player just picking a choosing which add-on they want and dropping its folder in the gamedata folder. I think this method would be ideal for this mod and I would be happy to help out in creating these if anyone is interested.

To give you an idea my add-ons are located here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/71140-WIP-KSP-0-24-Kethane-Plus-v0-3

This thread is going at break neck speed (which is awesome) so I may have missed the boat on this but with regards to modding this to work with other mods:

I have been creating add-ons for Kethane for a while now which add extra resources, changes the kethane balance to make it harder to use and adding tanks to the kethane converters (to get round the routing issue). This is all done with MM scripts and extra tanks so its a case of the player just picking a choosing which add-on they want and dropping its folder in the gamedata folder. I think this method would be ideal for this mod and I would be happy to help out in creating these if anyone is interested.

To give you an idea my add-ons are located here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/71140-WIP-KSP-0-24-Kethane-Plus-v0-3

100% totally support this, and no weird licensing issues with Karbonite.

Once we get this out the door (hopefully this week) there will be a portion of the thread specifically for community additions. I'd also like to maintain a standardized list of resources so there's minimal stomping. i.e. what you DO with the resources (different converters, etc.) is up to you, but we should not have five kinds of Hydrogen ;)

This is all well and good, but will Karbonite integrate with kethane?

Lol, jk =]

Seriously great work so far guys! Can't wait to build all of these new rigs I'm dreaming up. Gonna be fun for quite a while.

100% totally support this, and no weird licensing issues with Karbonite.

a-man to that!!

Once we get this out the door (hopefully this week) there will be a portion of the thread specifically for community additions. I'd also like to maintain a standardized list of resources so there's minimal stomping. i.e. what you DO with the resources (different converters, etc.) is up to you, but we should not have five kinds of Hydrogen ;)

Perhaps if we could list them on the front post or a separate thread might be better. I created a water resource which was the same weight as kethane so if you have both tanks on your craft it wouldn't become unbalanced but someone pointed out that LifeSupport mod had LiquidWater as a resource which was slightly heavy - so I made an add-on for that too - you could even install both and you could mine either water or liquidwater and convert between the two - it was stupid and confusing but it might end up being that Kerbonite will have different 'connections' between different mods so you can add to the specific mod you have installed without it being compromised by one that you don't have (if you get what I mean!)

And what about Duna? It also has an atmosphere.

Id imagine since there are only traces on Laythe and Kerbin, which have nice thick hearty atmospheres, that the thin atmo on duna would have such minuscule amounts that it wouldn't be worth it.

KaO3 :) Was a few pages back

No Kydrogen? That's going to be problematic for the fuel... OTOH, I'm proposing that we replace all the noble gases with one, and call it Keelium. Or Karrgon.

Id imagine since there are only traces on Laythe and Kerbin, which have nice thick hearty atmospheres, that the thin atmo on duna would have such minuscule amounts that it wouldn't be worth it.

yea, maybe

a-man to that!!

Perhaps if we could list them on the front post or a separate thread might be better. I created a water resource which was the same weight as kethane so if you have both tanks on your craft it wouldn't become unbalanced but someone pointed out that LifeSupport mod had LiquidWater as a resource which was slightly heavy - so I made an add-on for that too - you could even install both and you could mine either water or liquidwater and convert between the two - it was stupid and confusing but it might end up being that Kerbonite will have different 'connections' between different mods so you can add to the specific mod you have installed without it being compromised by one that you don't have (if you get what I mean!)

Done, there will also be a catalog of suggested resources (I hate the word 'official', but there has to be some cat herding). We'll start off by not conflicting with KSP-I, EL, and MKS/OKS. Something I need a volunteer for *hint hint* is to understand what atmospheric and oceanic resources of the default ORS are actually used... I'd like to propose deprecating that to a scaled down version because some are a bit silly, and it gives Karbonite more room to breath.

More for variety. Kerbin is for testing, Laythe is because it has minimal land area.

No Kydrogen? That's going to be problematic for the fuel... OTOH, I'm proposing that we replace all the noble gases with one, and call it Keelium. Or Karrgon.

Karbonite is more than explosive ;) Though personally I would like to stay away from too many K-things.

Dammit guys, wait for me! I can't model that fast ^^

Model faster ;)

Side note - First post has been edited to reflect what it will look like for release, feedback is good.

I want to keep the tagline for launch but will deprecate in favor of the usual version/date format post launch.

First post looks great. No pictures and no versions beside the compatible mods (just thinking ahead here - you just know they will break at some point ;) )

Some people are too darn hard to please huh. :)

This mod has come a long way in such a short time. Well done to the team!

Hey RoverDude, I like what I'm seeing here. Are there any callbacks for things like, when you acquire a resource, or when you start drilling? I ask because if there are I can easily make some contracts to use Karbonite.

Hey RoverDude, I like what I'm seeing here. Are there any callbacks for things like, when you acquire a resource, or when you start drilling? I ask because if there are I can easily make some contracts to use Karbonite.

Unsure, but you can look at the code and see. Would be a nice patch

There's more than the K to the Keelium :-)

Ug lets not bring in discussions of chemical compositions on this particular resource. That gets into the whole: "Is LiquidFuel LH2 or not" debate and trust me we don't want to get into that bag of wind.