[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

Hey all, this is progressing splendidly! I've got an off day tomorrow, plan to catch up on some KSP bits, and now that I have an extra KSP folder on my PC, I'll be able to test this stuff out and see what I can break. ;)

A question about atmospheric mining, specifically Jool. How do you propose to gather karbonite in Jools atmosphere? I'll confess that I've never had a ship that far away from Kerbin, so my knowledge is limited, but I was under the impression that it's not exactly a place you can stick around in. I recently read a book where ships dove down into a gas giant to gather reaction mass for their reactors. Basic principle was the deeper you go, faster you fill, but the more dangerous it is. I was imagining something like this would work for karbonite. High Ap, with a Pe dipping into the atmosphere and you skim draw materials out of the air as you scream through it. Have some random variation to represent thicker clouds of goods, and a formula to gather resources faster the lower you dip into atmosphere. That could represent the resources being in tighter concentrations the closer to the core you get.

Just my $.02, not sure if that was the route your going, but I thought that'd be pretty fun.

i'm happy about this... but also scared that this WILL be better than kethane and majir will just give up on it then i'll be without a mod that i practicly grew up (in KSP) with...

oh well all worries aside i wish you all the luck and hope one day i'll find this good enough to download :P right now i think it's still undergoing alot of part additions and implementations to it so i'll hang back and see what this turns into. hopefully it turns into something grand... i don't like to see mods going down the drain :(

but, judging from your D.E.R.P. pod i think it's safe to say this mod is in the right hands.

so once again good work so far and keep cracking on!

(i don't mean any disrespect if i offened anyone with this post. i'm not a ver good conversationalist)

Hey all, this is progressing splendidly! I've got an off day tomorrow, plan to catch up on some KSP bits, and now that I have an extra KSP folder on my PC, I'll be able to test this stuff out and see what I can break. ;)

A question about atmospheric mining, specifically Jool. How do you propose to gather karbonite in Jools atmosphere? I'll confess that I've never had a ship that far away from Kerbin, so my knowledge is limited, but I was under the impression that it's not exactly a place you can stick around in. I recently read a book where ships dove down into a gas giant to gather reaction mass for their reactors. Basic principle was the deeper you go, faster you fill, but the more dangerous it is. I was imagining something like this would work for karbonite. High Ap, with a Pe dipping into the atmosphere and you skim draw materials out of the air as you scream through it. Have some random variation to represent thicker clouds of goods, and a formula to gather resources faster the lower you dip into atmosphere. That could represent the resources being in tighter concentrations the closer to the core you get.

Just my $.02, not sure if that was the route your going, but I thought that'd be pretty fun.

I'm pretty sure you have answered your own question, as earlier in the thread it was said that you would have karbonite intakes and you would divebomb the atmosphere to collect karbonite from the atmosphere.

That's pretty much exactly how it works:)

i'm happy about this... but also scared that this WILL be better than kethane and majir will just give up on it then i'll be without a mod that i practicly grew up (in KSP) with...

oh well all worries aside i wish you all the luck and hope one day i'll find this good enough to download :P right now i think it's still undergoing alot of part additions and implementations to it so i'll hang back and see what this turns into. hopefully it turns into something grand... i don't like to see mods going down the drain :(

but, judging from your D.E.R.P. pod i think it's safe to say this mod is in the right hands.

so once again good work so far and keep cracking on!

(i don't mean any disrespect if i offened anyone with this post. i'm not a ver good conversationalist)

No worries, and I think we're simmering to a point where the core mechanics are soon to be knocked out. My goal is first release this weekend.

Is this 0.23.5 compatible?

Probably not because they changed some stuff in 0.24.x that affected resource flow. Haven't tried tho.

Damn. Part of me was hoping that there'd be an easy way to get set up permanent floating mining platforms in Jool's clouds.

You can try it, by using this in conjunction with other mods. I can't imagine Karbonite would actually require you to be in an atmospheric-passthrough-orbit. And I can't imagine that Karbonite would be incompatible with, say, HooliganLabs. So you could use the blimp parts to create an aerostatic platform permanently hanging out mining Karbonite from Jool.

You can try it, by using this in conjunction with other mods. I can't imagine Karbonite would actually require you to be in an atmospheric-passthrough-orbit. And I can't imagine that Karbonite would be incompatible with, say, HooliganLabs. So you could use the blimp parts to create an aerostatic platform permanently hanging out mining Karbonite from Jool.

The only rub is that the game will not let you save with a suborbital trajectory, so your best bet is cloud diving, or at the very least, pulling out of the atmosphere to save.

Side note - front page updated (less controversy, and an Imgur album)

HL airships needs a stationkeeping feature. Slow to a stop, hit a switch, and if you can keep it powered with EC for a minute or so it assumes you've got the power to consistently run stationkeeping fans and creates an invisible joint linking all airship envelopes to the ground like a launch clamp and marks the ship landed.

How epic a karbonite harvesting cloud city would be...

The augers happily extract ore now, which is cool. They don't animate in any way, which is somewhat less cool. Someone else might need to take the wheel on that one, I know diddly about animation.

The augers never animated. Long ago I made a MM config that created sparks when the auger was extracting ore, but it uses the KethaneParticleEmitter module so that wouldn't work in this situation.

HL airships needs a stationkeeping feature. Slow to a stop, hit a switch, and if you can keep it powered with EC for a minute or so it assumes you've got the power to consistently run stationkeeping fans and creates an invisible joint linking all airship envelopes to the ground like a launch clamp and marks the ship landed.

How epic a karbonite harvesting cloud city would be...

hmm is posible to throw something like insane long anchor(like from KAS) to " simulate" landing on the surface of jool? or is posible to land with ANYTHHINK on jool?

Edited by sober667

So for Karbonite scanning, you just place the detector on any ship and you can instantly see all the hotspots on the map? Is this the final plan for resource scanning, or just a placeholder until a more realistic scanning option (like SCANsat) can be implemented?

Note that since SCANsat has ModStatistics included I assumed that Karbonite wouldn't want to rely on that mod as a resource scanning option...

The augers never animated. Long ago I made a MM config that created sparks when the auger was extracting ore, but it uses the KethaneParticleEmitter module so that wouldn't work in this situation.

Aha! I suck less than I thought! =P

Any thoughts re: the OMD doing its deployment animation before being told to? Cuz it's doing that, and I'm like 90% sure it does that in stick EPL as well...

That's pretty much exactly how it works:)

Cool, cool! I must've missed that farther back. I try to keep up to date with the progress here, but when the thread gain 5 pages each time I look at it, it's hard to absorb all of this awesome info! :)

If we have Xenon be, say, 0.001% of Karbonite or some such thing, we throw out a lot of good rock with fuel in it... but if we make it part of the same conversion, you have some unintended results like the unwanted filling of fuel tanks when you just want Xenon, or the aforementioned waste.

My proposal is that trace extraction has input of Karbonite, but kicks back.... Less Karbonite and your trace element. So it's very slow, very resource intensive, and you diminish what else you can pull from it. But it is doable, and isn't breaky.

Thoughts?

1) I prefer the idea of different converters for different resources. You use your extractor to extract Karbonite from the environment, and then use the different converters to create different resources. This is more realistic, and requires you to do more mission planning. Your ions ran out of Xenon and you forgot to put a Xenon converter on your ship? Too bad, shoulda thought of that.

2) I like the idea of trace element extraction returning a percentage of the Karbonite. You'd have to play with the numbers so that it's balanced, but again it's realistic and makes better use of the available resources.

Great mod BTW.

Having only read the first few pages and not tried the mod out yet, here are my immediate thoughts.

1. This is an awesome idea, and looks like it could potentially turn into the robust resource system that I always hoped Kethane would turn into.

2. I love the idea of basing it all on openness and interoperability. That's a major thing I haven't liked about Kethane, that it's its own separate thing and doesn't really integrate well with other mods.

3. I like the idea of requiring some kind of detection mechanic to find where the ore is before being able to mine it.

4. I don't like the idea of Karbonite existing as a solid, liquid, AND gas. I totally get it for reasons of simplicity, but I'd really love to see added realism/gameplay by splitting each form into different resources -- perhaps even having unique/multiple resources on each planet -- each having different efficiency, efficacy, and value. Granted, that's not particularly useful right now since there's basically only two fuel types in the game, but maybe that could change in the future...Or maybe at some point this could integrate with Real Fuels?

hmm is posible to throw something like insane long anchor(like from cas) to " simulate" landing on the surface of jool? or is posible to land with ANYTHHINK on jool?

Pretty sure internally Jool is an actual rocky planet, but only technically. IRRC the surface is invisible. However, I think you can force a landed state with both no ground and with ground.

hmm is posible to throw something like insane long anchor(like from cas) to " simulate" landing on the surface of jool? or is posible to land with ANYTHHINK on jool?

Physics range limit for one, auto-splode layer for another. I don't know if jool actually has a surface mesh but I know no parts can reach it if it does.

Aha! I suck less than I thought! =P

Any thoughts re: the OMD doing its deployment animation before being told to? Cuz it's doing that, and I'm like 90% sure it does that in stick EPL as well...

I remember there being a problem with continuously looping animations, but that was a long time back. This post talked about a fix, but that was way back in 2013 so I'm not sure if you're seeing the same issue...

In my EPL game I don't see anything deploying until they are told to. I have shrunk the OMD down because it's freakishly large, but the last time I put two in orbit they didn't deploy until I told them to. I'll re-run the save and see if that's correct...

It seems that the release planned for the weekend will add the ability to collect Karbonite from Jool's atmosphere, but is there any ETA on when it will be possible to collect karbonite from the ocean?

The only rub is that the game will not let you save with a suborbital trajectory,

Are you sure about that? I just did a quicksave while flying my plane and it worked fine. Crashed, hit quickload, and there was my plane flying again.