[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

Row #5, for sure. I can't write code, and don't the first thing about it, or I'd love to help. For now, all I can do is offer my moral support. :D At some point in the future, I'd love to see two resources. Could you imagine mining Ike and Duna, or Laythe and Vall? What a mission that would be!

Told you, orange and black look pimp ! :)

After seeing all these photos, why not stick with something closer to RoverDude's MKS Color scheme and palettes? It's pretty close to whats being suggested, and it would mesh better with both stock and MKS/OKS parts...

After seeing all these photos, why not stick with something closer to RoverDude's MKS Color scheme and palettes? It's pretty close to whats being suggested, and it would mesh better with both stock and MKS/OKS parts...

nah, I like these ;) And I like that it blends with both my mods as well as stock.

Since Kethane has the KH4 thing (I think that is the chemical recipe or somehting like that), what will karbonite have?

KH4 comes from the chemical formula CH4 (Methane), Majiir just changed the C to a K.

So if RoverDude just did the same as Majiir (change C to a K), then this is Carbonite. So the chemical formula should be [CO2]2-, then make it sound Kerbalish => [KO2]2-.

Carbonate has the chemical formula (CH3)-2, which means that it's a molecular ion; it forms ionic salts such as Ammonium Carbonate. "Carbonite" doesn't exist; it's a trademark for a backup company. Quite frankly, it won't make a fuel, although you could harvest other ions from Carbonate materials that are of various uses. (KH3)-2 would work, although it would make more sense to say that you're harvesting fuels from "Karbonite based salts/materials."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonate

It's Carbonite, and it exists as a gas. It makes Carbonate when oxygen is added.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydroxymethylidene

Working on some initial models!

On the left is a ventral drill piece. It could probably use some more detail around the inner ring to spruce it up, but I'm very happy about how it turned out. it folds up pretty nicely and could probably be wrangled to extend further down if needed.

On the right is a really basic 2.5m tank, I didn't want to go for anything really fancy or detailed like the NF tanks, so it has a very flat profile. The vents provide a little bit of visual detail.

What I'm wondering is what highlight colour to use? Kethane has a strong green/white vibe, and a lot of other stock fuel systems have particular colours. What should we use for Karbonite? I did some tests with a number of different colours and wasn't satisfied with them.

One word: BEAUTIFUL !!!

5, no doubt

Same opinion, last line !

Black plus another colour (orange seems to be a good choice)

For the carbon idea, as i was explaining, the Karbonite could be some clathrate hydrates, which would explain why we find the Karbonite under solid, liquid and gaseous forms.

I like this. I should use this one, as it also forms the [CO2]2- (Carbonite) and the CH4 (Methane) that I both mentioned above.

GitHub Repo is up:

http://GitHub.com/BobPalmer/Karbonite

For you awesome folks making models - if you're comfy with GitHub do a pull reqest with your model/texture and I will start making part configs. ORS maps are done as is ther Karbonite resource. I need to work on thresholds, etc. but this laptop is not the best platform for that ;)

Going to make a ton of test parts (no-texture stock parts) so I can work through the configs and keep ahead of the modelers ;)

This is awesome! I only recently installed kethane, and first thing I did was disable the data mining, this looks like it's going to blow methane out of the water!

I really wish I had some modding abilities, but I'm here if you need anything else!

Edited by mostlydave

This is awesome! I only recently installed kethane, and first thing I did was disable the data mining, this looks like it's going to blow methane out of the water!

I really wish I had some modding abilities, but I'm here if you need anything else!

We'll most definitely need testers here once things are a bit more solid. I'm going to see how many part configs I can crank out for the 'ugly white cylider' version, then swap in the pretty ones as people finish models.

And I may have to get in on the fun now that I'm seeing a style emerge ;) I have some absolutely ludicrous ideas, possibly bordering on perposterous.

We'll most definitely need testers here once things are a bit more solid. I'm going to see how many part configs I can crank out for the 'ugly white cylider' version, then swap in the pretty ones as people finish models.

And I may have to get in on the fun now that I'm seeing a style emerge ;) I have some absolutely ludicrous ideas, possibly bordering on perposterous.

I volunteer to be a tester!!!

tumblr_inline_n3lrn63F9v1rrlfdw.gif

Sign me up for testing duty.

Preposterous??? Preposterous is good..................

This is NOT Sparta, this is KERBAL......

Count me in for testing as well....IF you promise lots of Preposterous stuff.......

Are you actually asking for testers, or will you just put out a test build once ready and let all have at it?

There will be a test build and I will ask folks to join in and test :) Just bear in mind that by test build, I mean a build that has a lot of white cylinders until such time as models catch up.

There will be a test build and I will ask folks to join in and test :) Just bear in mind that by test build, I mean a build that has a lot of white cylinders until such time as models catch up.

I don't mind white cylinders. :P

When the time comes for testing, I'll be here for you!