[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

EDIT: ok i figured out whats going on its the conversion rates, the build up is so slow it looks like its doing nothing because it instantly converts whatever its trying to make but its not enough for the value to actually be visable, even at higher time warp it still looks like its doing nothing.

can i make a suggestion for better clarity, can you leave the collection rate the same for karbonite but change the conversion rate so that it doesn't use the karbonite until it can make 1 useable unit of whatever this would help trouble shooting design problems much better.

Not sure I understand the request tbh - for troubleshooting, just turn the converter off :)

RoverDude can you roll into Karbonite your mini-drill? Karbonite really should have as default parts for all standard scale sizes.

I'll probably do a parts reorg down the road and move some of the K+ bits around. The main reason the newer bits are in K+ is because of part count pressure.

Not sure I understand the request tbh - for troubleshooting, just turn the converter off :)

change the converter so that it doesnt start using the karbonite until it can make 1 unit of mono,liquid, or oxi etc. this way if you have less then the required amount of karbnoite it wont use it to make 0 amount of "resource" when in reality its making a fractional amount which is not indicated because its below the value thresh hold of the tank. this would let the karbonite tank fill up with some karbonite so that you know its working and the converter is just taking a long time.

change the converter so that it doesnt start using the karbonite until it can make 1 unit of mono,liquid, or oxi etc. this way if you have less then the required amount of karbnoite it wont use it to make 0 amount of "resource" when in reality its making a fractional amount which is not indicated because its below the value thresh hold of the tank. this would let the karbonite tank fill up with some karbonite so that you know its working and the converter is just taking a long time.

Also depends on tank size, since in some cases you would be that fractional increase. No offense, but I just don't see the value in this. If you are troubleshooting, turn the converter off. For normal play, it's a lot of coding and testing for a net zero gain.

Why Duna? Also what Karbonite version? And are you using a particle collector and an atmospheric scopp?

And I'd say less about being 'hard' and more about having some variety :)

Latest version, particle collector with enough energy in 52km orbit around duna.

About "why duna?".. ok, lets see. Since Duna isnt real its hard to make a scientific case, but Duna has a strong resemblance to Mars. On Mars (and Duna with the EVE Pack) huge sandstorms are covering large parts of the planet regularely. According to curiosity rover there are carbon based compounds found on mars, and i wouldnt see it much of a stretch to say that these are blown up into the athmosphere in smallish amounts. Very smallish maybe. Off course that could be yesterdays science tomorrow, and Duna isnt Mars 1:1. But from this (my) point of view this speaks for small amounts of karbonite to collect around duna orbit at 50-55km or so.

As from the gameplay perspective... it depends how much you want to challenge (maybe frustrate) the player, in this case me again. From the planets we got, and if youre leaving the kerbin/mun system at all, duna seems to be one of the planets where a lot of gameplay happens. This is the place to be for bases, stations, supporting ressource networks and so on. And collectors imho. I had longtime bases on all capable planets, and there is imho only far away laythe as a close second for this kind of gameplay. With new biomes this will enhance a lot more of course. Eeloo as prime spot for K+ stuff..? Ok, makes sense. No karbonite out of the upper atmosphere, low orbit of duna? Seems a artificial decision to me.

Right now for example i play career ksp with far, dr, esld jump beacons, kspi, tac ls and without excessive timewarping plus alarm clock. My choice, each to his own playstyle. But i dont really see the need to remove ressources in places where they are to be expected just for some unnecessary hardship. Its hard enough. Hell, even with small amounts of "realism" (not my agenda at all) water should be reaaaally rare, not some carbonbased stuff.

Ok, these are my arguments for the case. I think it makes sense and is open for debate if you like :) Since i cannot expect to see you include "duna orbital karbonite" in vanilla karbonite just because of me, again some details how to include this in configs by myself would be highly appreciated. My experiments up until now were fruitless ;)

Latest version, particle collector with enough energy in 52km orbit around duna.

About "why duna?".. ok, lets see. Since Duna isnt real its hard to make a scientific case, but Duna has a strong resemblance to Mars. On Mars (and Duna with the EVE Pack) huge sandstorms are covering large parts of the planet regularely. According to curiosity rover there are carbon based compounds found on mars, and i wouldnt see it much of a stretch to say that these are blown up into the athmosphere in smallish amounts. Very smallish maybe. Off course that could be yesterdays science tomorrow, and Duna isnt Mars 1:1. But from this (my) point of view this speaks for small amounts of karbonite to collect around duna orbit at 50-55km or so.

As from the gameplay perspective... it depends how much you want to challenge (maybe frustrate) the player, in this case me again. From the planets we got, and if youre leaving the kerbin/mun system at all, duna seems to be one of the planets where a lot of gameplay happens. This is the place to be for bases, stations, supporting ressource networks and so on. And collectors imho. I had longtime bases on all capable planets, and there is imho only far away laythe as a close second for this kind of gameplay. With new biomes this will enhance a lot more of course. Eeloo as prime spot for K+ stuff..? Ok, makes sense. No karbonite out of the upper atmosphere, low orbit of duna? Seems a artificial decision to me.

Right now for example i play career ksp with far, dr, esld jump beacons, kspi, tac ls and without excessive timewarping plus alarm clock. My choice, each to his own playstyle. But i dont really see the need to remove ressources in places where they are to be expected just for some unnecessary hardship. Its hard enough. Hell, even with small amounts of "realism" (not my agenda at all) water should be reaaaally rare, not some carbonbased stuff.

Ok, these are my arguments for the case. I think it makes sense and is open for debate if you like :) Since i cannot expect to see you include "duna orbital karbonite" in vanilla karbonite just because of me, again some details how to include this in configs by myself would be highly appreciated. My experiments up until now were fruitless ;)

Gotcha :)

What I would say is that every planet with atmospheric karbonite also had moisture of some kind, and oceanic karbonite, so the logic was that it would go in with the clouds.

In any case, look at the K+ particle collector - there's a parameter there that is essentially an atmo bonus. Odds are Duna's atmo is too thin and you have a very narrow band to be in (52K seems high).

Gotcha :)

What I would say is that every planet with atmospheric karbonite also had moisture of some kind, and oceanic karbonite, so the logic was that it would go in with the clouds.

In any case, look at the K+ particle collector - there's a parameter there that is essentially an atmo bonus. Odds are Duna's atmo is too thin and you have a very narrow band to be in (52K seems high).

Since i want to continue transforming karbonite into karbonium (?) i still stand a bit aside from k+. Maybe after 2.5 (and some editing). And your logic is of course sound, but since sand from the sahara on earth travels all the way over the atlantic (and in parts into the upper athmosphere) i would say mine has its merits too. Gotcha :)

Anyway, thanks for the great work and to be so near to your communitybase!

Hi I am having trouble getting the low altitude scoops to work.

I have them connected directly to a Karbonite tank with the filter deployed, but on a flight from the pad to orbit they collect nothing. I do notice that the flow rate is always 0 even when in flight if that helps?

I have in my Gamedata folder....

ORSX

OpenResourceSystem

UmbraSpaceIndustries

CommunityResourcePack

TextureReplacer

FireSpitter

MechJeb2

StationScience

NavyFish

and two ModuleManager dll's

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I can mine Karbonite whilst on the pad via the drills.

I've connected a Karbonite drill rig to a convertor rig and a convertor rig to a stock jumbo fuel tank rig and the fuel tank rig to a command pod rig. The connections are made via KAS fuel pipes. I am able to fill up on monoprop in the command pod, but the jumbo orange tank is not filling up. The convertor says it sees the whole system at 100% full, but the jumbo tank is empty. Thoughts?

Edit: nevermind. "Pump here" is what I needed to set a port to.

Hi I am having trouble getting the low altitude scoops to work.

I have them connected directly to a Karbonite tank with the filter deployed, but on a flight from the pad to orbit they collect nothing. I do notice that the flow rate is always 0 even when in flight if that helps?

I have in my Gamedata folder....

ORSX

OpenResourceSystem

UmbraSpaceIndustries

CommunityResourcePack

TextureReplacer

FireSpitter

MechJeb2

StationScience

NavyFish

and two ModuleManager dll's

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I can mine Karbonite whilst on the pad via the drills.

Versions and screenshot please. Bear in mind collection is REALLY slow on Kerbin (It's just there for testing). Also there are two flows... IntakeAtm for flying Karbonite engines, the resource collection flow (after you have swapped the resource to Karbonite).

Just curious on how the procedural PNG maps are coming along (or is this a question I need to ask in the ORS thread?). Basically once you guys get that done I'm ditching kethane entirely for this. Its a far more complete mod IMHO and does everything I've ever wanted to see from kethane.

Just curious on how the procedural PNG maps are coming along (or is this a question I need to ask in the ORS thread?). Basically once you guys get that done I'm ditching kethane entirely for this. Its a far more complete mod IMHO and does everything I've ever wanted to see from kethane.

This is the right thread as we've forked ORS.

Oh and have I got some spectacular surprises in store if you dig mining stuff ;)

quick question; I don't use Interstellar, so there are no MW units in my game. I tested a drill and found that it worked without drawing any electric charge.

Is this the way you want things to work?

• 2 weeks later...

If changes are to happen to collection can I request that the particle collector remains `click and forget` as I use it to fill my orbital fuel depots automatically and it would be a pain to have to control them manually and do stuff for them to work.

Would be awesome if you guys kept compiled versions available for download, like on kerbalstuff. Kind of wanted to add this mod to my 24.2 game!

The current version of Karbonite (and all USI mods) will still work on .24.2 I know because I'm using them .24.2 and have no problems lol:wink:

If changes are to happen to collection can I request that the particle collector remains `click and forget` as I use it to fill my orbital fuel depots automatically and it would be a pain to have to control them manually and do stuff for them to work.

No changes to Karbonite collection that would impact that are on the books, so you're fine. Granted, other mods that use or extend karbonite (MKS, etc.) may change that, but not the base project.

Would be awesome if you guys kept compiled versions available for download, like on kerbalstuff. Kind of wanted to add this mod to my 24.2 game!

See below ;) In those cases where we have version incompatabilities I do keep the latest stable version for each KSP release. But Karbonite works just fine on 0.24 and up (side note, I don't host on Kerbalstuff, just GitHub).

The current version of Karbonite (and all USI mods) will still work on .24.2 I know because I'm using them .24.2 and have no problems lol:wink:

Hmm, well, I installed only Karbonite 0.4.2 and when I load up KSP 24.2, there are no parts in the VAB.

NM. Would help if I had the "Squad" folder in Gamedata, eh?

EDIT: Wow, this is a pretty sweet mod. Really liking the propfan parts! So much better than the KAX and Firespitter propeller parts... just need an electric version for Eve now. :D

Edited by zilfondel

I'm baffled by karbonite. I have the latest version and have it installed with KSP 0.24.

I landed a module with a karbonite generator, two karbonite drills, a half-full karbonite tank, and a few 1k batteries on Munmis (in a karbonite hotspot). I can't for the life of me get the drills to actually get karbonite. I've deployed/enabled drilling and tried with the generator both on and off. Time warping (with the generator on) just destroys my reservoir of karbonite that I landed with.

Does the generator use karbonite infinitely faster than the drills mine it? I would think that the drills should be faster, since I would guess that karbonite is an efficient combustible resource, and thus would be capable of producing more energy than it takes to extract. I've tried peering through the forum here, but at 213 pages it's starting to make War and Peace look like a short story.