Why is KSP So bad when it comes to cars?

Qwerty1999

The biggest problem with the stock rover wheels (and this has been an issue since they were added) is that their code is just a bit of a mess. When you switch to a new polygon in the terrain, the suspension spontaneously switches to stiff-as-a-board for a few seconds, and the vehicle will start shaking over the ground like it has no shocks at all. As well, handling on hills is inverted: super-steep slopes propel you upwards at absurd speed with perfect lateral handling (once you get out of stiff-as-a-board mode), while slopes with almost no inclination will slow your progress severely and cut your lateral handling to "turn and you flip" even when stiff-as-a-board mode ends. Fixing the handling on the rover wheels has been something of a long-time request, at least as far back as 0.20.

Yeah, exactly. The friction physics in KSP is a big mess right now. All terrain is basically a big sheet of ice, or glue, depending on the incline. I hope one day we see more realistic friction physics.

Yeah, the m/s thing is a big one. People complain about their rovers flipping out if they go above 20 m/s. There are no roads in KSP. Doing 45mph over rough ground is actually quite a risky endeavour!

That's definitely half of the issue. The other half is people don't know how to build proper rovers. It's basically the same issue as planes. If a plane can only fly once, it's probably that the CoM is behind the CoL. If a rover constantly tips over, it's probably because it is an obelisk built on a dime size wheel base.

It's complaining that their rover isn't an F1 car when it's built and weighs about as much as the massive earth movers uses for mining.

Yeah, exactly. The friction physics in KSP is a big mess right now. All terrain is basically a big sheet of ice, or glue, depending on the incline. I hope one day we see more realistic friction physics.

I'm not positive that the issue is in friction, specifically in the PhysX sense. If it was, that wouldn't be a hard mod to make since all that would have to be done is tweek the wheel rigidbody or the planet's physics material.

If you want a fast rover, build it light, not only speed but crash tolerance increases far more. I driven on mun Jeb style: two rules, 1 full throttle 2 crater rims are fun.

Just one damage to rover and that was then traveling slovenly: kerbal falling out and landing a kilometer away and poped tires don't count.

It should perhaps be possible to select tires for body, low gravity tires has extreme grip but pops very easy with lots of pressure, either heavy load or jumps. Heavy rovers should also have better grip balancing this out.

When your wheels are capable of operating anywhere from the freezing vacuum of Eeloo to the dusts of Duna to the 150 °C heat of Eve, and all the while sipping power from a few solar panels or the gentle warmth of decaying blutonium, I think a bit of iffy handling is a reasonable trade-off.

Design smart for a low center of gravity, a wide/long wheel base that will help you out by reducing your turning circle, which is good for speed runs. Also setting it up for safety (front wheel drive and steer) can help but it doesn't give you much grip.

The only thing I normally fall foul of in all of my worst best designs is the vibration caused by having too many cubic octagonal struts clipping together. Leads to strange antics like this:

gDnuR1H.jpg

The cubes would start to orbit each other faster and faster until it shot out in every direction, exploding into a million tiny pieces! It's only ever my ground vehicles that do it :(

Some areas in the mountains of Kerbin have localized mismatches of the direction gravity pulls, especially in highly jagged areas ( such as some peaks in the mountains west of KSC ). It is normally not enough to overpower "real" gravity ( sometimes is, though ), but there is a clear phantom force when you are near the junction of two surface polygons that have widely diferent inclinations ( like if the game was using the relative direction where gravity is pulling in one polygon in the other ). Depending of the junction in question, that force pulls sideways or even upwards ...

Like I say above, for experience that, you only need to build a rover and go treking the mountains west of KSC to see that, but you can see it in any place with highly jagged terrain. I definitely seen it in my Mun rover circumnavigation more than once ...

Edited by r_rolo1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.