[21 Jul] KSP: First Contract (v0.24) Frequently Asked Questions

v0.24 KSP: First Contract FAQ

header.png

I'm trying to compile a list of Frequently Asked Gameplay Questions specific to v0.24 "KSP: First Contract." This isn't meant to be a tutorial or walkthrough (though I may link to those). It's meant to be a quick stop to get the basics of the common questions answered.

If you're having problems with the game itself, please check out my v0.24 Issues/Fixes Thread in the Support & Bugs Forum.

So think of this as a list of "How do I...?" type questions in regards to contracts.

UPDATES:

- 21 Jul: Initial Post

- 23 Jul: Added Contract Completion technique, Clarified Debris Recovery funds

Current List of Questions: (In This Post)

How do I...?

Complete a rescue contract?

Set the throttle default on launch to 0%?

Convert my 0.23.5 Career Save into a Science-Only Save?

Complete a contract (test a part) when all conditions are met?

Get all funds back for recovering debris?

Complete a rescue contract?

The first thing to note is that you cannot switch to a kerbal in need of rescue through the tracking station. This is by design since the point of the contract is to pilot the ship to the kerbal. Once you get within physics range (roughly 2.5km) you can switch to the stranded kerbal by pressing [ or ]. The keys to switch to the kerbal are the same as switching craft within physics range, so check your keybindings as they may be different. (Non U.S. keyboards may also be different.)

After switching to the stranded kerbal, you can activate the jetpack just like normal ® and fly to your rescue ship.

Set the throttle default on launch to 0%?

As of right now, you can't. In v0.24 the throttle defaults to 50% at launch time.

Convert my 0.23.5 Career Save into a Science-Only Save?

You can convert saves before loading in v0.24 (easiest) or after loading in v0.24. AlexinTokyo did a great job posting a how to here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86622-How-to-import-a-0-23-5-Career-save-into-0-24-Science-Mode

Complete a contract (test a part) when all conditions are met?

Meeting all conditions (all green checkmarks) is the first step. You must then activate the part under test while the conditions are green. You can either stage the item activate, or right click and activate it.

Also: In v0.24.0.459, using action groups does not count as "activating" for test contract purposes. So you can use action groups to activate the part, then stage (with spacebar) when conditions are met.

If you activate the item (with spacebar) BEFORE making all the conditions green, you will not complete the test.

Also, as silly as it sounds, make sure you are testing the correct part.

Get all funds back for recovering debris?

You receive funds back for recovering any items landed safely on Kerbin.

To recover items:

1) Either switch to them in flight and recover (move the mouse to the top of the screen)

or

2) Go to the item in the tracking center and recover

Items at KSC receive 100% of the invested funds, minus any fuel expended. The percentage drops the further from KSC the items are.

Currently there is a limitation in the game where recovering uncontrolled debris (with no probe core or pod) appears to return zero funds. However, if you check your funds counter the recovery funds should be awarded.

However, things that are jettisoned off of your ship that go outside of physics range (about 2.5km away from your ship in focus) and are below roughly 23km on Kerbin are automatically deleted. This is a separate thing from "Recovering Debris." Things that are deleted will not return funds. There are mods out there that can get around this problem if you want to be able to recover boosters and other items decoupled from your ships from higher altitudes. But with stock KSP, if you didn't "Recover" it, then you won't receive any funds for it.

If I am missing things, please feel free to ask. But please remember, this is not meant to be a "how do I get to orbit" or "how do I rendezvous" type of thread.

Good luck Kerbonauts,

~Claw

Edited by Claw

Glad I saw that post.

Here's the original link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86622-How-to-import-a-0-23-5-Career-save-into-0-24-Science-Mode

I guess Claw will edit it into the OP when he sees this.

Thank you - very useful. I have a feeling i'll be spending quite some time in science sandbox.

Adding the mode itself was a pretty nice idea, im glad its there.

Regarding aktivating through stageing: If you toggle an engine via an action-group it doesn't count as staged yet. So you can lift off the launchpad by setting throttle and toggleing the engine on AND stage the same engine when contract conditions are met.

I guess Claw will edit it into the OP when he sees this.

Edited. Sorry about the confusion.

Regarding aktivating through stageing: If you toggle an engine via an action-group it doesn't count as staged yet. So you can lift off the launchpad by setting throttle and toggleing the engine on AND stage the same engine when contract conditions are met.

Yes, this is also a valid technique. I'll add this too.

Thanks!

~Claw

very nice idea, thumbs up from me :)

Edited by Claw

"Currently there is a limitation in the game where recovering uncontrolled debris (with no probe core or pod) appears to return zero funds. However, if you check your funds counter the recovery funds should be awarded."

So this means all these boosters and stages i attach parachutes too i do get money back from afterall, even if it doesn't show it on the mission end screen?

Currently there is a limitation in the game where recovering uncontrolled debris (with no probe core or pod) appears to return zero funds. However, if you check your funds counter the recovery funds should be awarded.

I'm glad I read this one. I had given up putting chutes on boosters and the like since it appeared at first that there would be no funds recovered. CHUTES FOR EVERYTHING!

"Currently there is a limitation in the game where recovering uncontrolled debris (with no probe core or pod) appears to return zero funds. However, if you check your funds counter the recovery funds should be awarded."

So this means all these boosters and stages i attach parachutes too i do get money back from afterall, even if it doesn't show it on the mission end screen?

I'm glad I read this one. I had given up putting chutes on boosters and the like since it appeared at first that there would be no funds recovered. CHUTES FOR EVERYTHING!

There may be some misunderstanding with my statement.

Things that are jettisoned off of your ship that go outside of physics range (about 2.5km away from your ship in focus) and are below 0.1 atmospheres (roughly 23km on Kerbin) are automatically deleted. This is a separate thing from "Recovering Debris." Things that are deleted will not return funds. There are mods out there that can get around this problem if you want to be able to recover boosters and other items decoupled from your ships from higher altitudes.

Recovering debris (or anything else) is when you go to the tracking station and click on the yellow "Recover" button. OR when you go "fly" the item that is landed on Kerbin and select the green Recovery button at the top of the screen. When you do this for items that don't have a probe core or pod, you still get funds and science back.

Hope that clears it up,

~Claw

This occurred to me last night, and I haven't gotten to the point in the game where I can test it.

In 0.23.5, I brought an A-class rock down to Kerbin on parachutes and got no science for it. But if I recoup funds for returning parts, do I get funds for recovering landed asteroids?

That could make for a heck of a business model.

...do I get funds for recovering landed asteroids? That could make for a heck of a business model.

Interesting. I haven't heard yet but you can give it a try. :)

I have my doubts though since I don't think asteroids have a cost associated with them.

~Claw

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand what's going on with these contracts, I just built a ship to test one of the parachutes in flight.

I activated the parachute through the stages when all conditions were met, all the requirements had green ticks but the contract didn't show as complete.

then the green ticks disappeared again without meeting the contract.

is it a bug or am I missing something?

Did the contract require you to stage - as you did - or 'run test'? If the latter, you need to right-click the part and click the 'run test' button when all the test conditions are met. If the former, and you're sure ALL the conditions were met, then it could be a bug, yes.

Did the contract require you to stage - as you did - or 'run test'? If the latter, you need to right-click the part and click the 'run test' button when all the test conditions are met. If the former, and you're sure ALL the conditions were met, then it could be a bug, yes.

Thanks for the reply Pecan, yes the contract was to activate the parachute through staging, I think it might have just been a one off bug as it worked ok when I tried again later, it could be a mod issue as I'm running quite a heavily modded game and have had a few odd things happen in this latest save.

• 2 weeks later...

Look at the contract when building the test rocket or when ready to launch. if you see a Note, click on it for additional instructions. In the case of testing the escape tower, setting up the action group for abort will not complete the test. You will have to click on the tower and select Run Test when the test conditions are met.

Parts to test while on the launch pad can be attached to the back of the launch clamp and activated by staging before you actually launch your rocket for missions or further testing of other parts. I use this vehicle for most flight test, water landing, and even some sub orbital tests. It is designed to be 100% recoverable. This one was set up to test the turbojet in flight.

3DQliee.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
how to met the spalshed down condition?

You have to be in contact with the water to meet this condition. Most folks put the part they need to test on a simple chute-pod-small fuel tank-engine assembly, making sure the part to be tested is Stage 0 (i.e. the VERY last thing to be activated). Launch and immediately turn to head out to sea (090 heading) and keeping your ascent rate low; you're not heading into space on these trips. Once you're flying over the water, you kill the engine, pop the chutes, and float down to the water's surface. Then once your craft is in the water, stage to activate the part to fulfill your contract, then recover the craft.

If your contract is to test an engine in a splashed down state, I highly recommend setting the thrust limiter to zero. On a similar vein, you don't actually have to provide any fuel for a contract test; all that you MUST do in order to fulfill the contract is to use the staging controls to activate the part - whether you make it actually DO anything at that point is your own business.

I have the problem with "rescue XXX Kerman stuck in orbit" mission in 0.24.2: when i approach to <2 km and switch to Kerman - his RCS don't start, like his has no RCS at all (only lights on/off working). I tried to discard this mission and take again - with the same problem on another Kerman.

How can i fix this?

For while in flight testing, I use a liquid fueled rocket that can be fueled and controlled to reach the required speed and altitude for the test. The entire vehicle is recovered in a splashdown landing. Later testing has used a jet or turbojet design also fully recoverable at splashdown. The turbojet design is capable of suborbital flight with small test payloads.

Splashdown test only require a tweaked down SRB to send the payload to a water landing. The design is cheap and fully recoverable.

Most engine test don't require any fuel for the test themselves. I was able to do five orbital test contracts, including reach orbit, in one flight and recover all the tested items in a splash down near the launch pad.

Note, some test, such as test the abort escape system, require you to use the Run Test option instead of staging. There will be a note to inform you of such a requirement in the contract.

Edited by SRV Ron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.