[1.1.2] Rovers & Roadsters v0.7.2

AlphaAsh

kashcorpthread.png

randrheader.png

This pack is a collection of new parts for rovers and other ground vehicles and includes combustion engine technologies and two new hull standards, Mk1x05 and 1x1(BoxBase). Both standards easily adapt to 1.25 and 0.625 standards. Adapters included.

PARTS CATALOGUE

Download from SpaceDock.info

Requires Module Manager for khorsepowered wheels.

Say thanks by donating?

Want to say thanks for the mod with hard cash, wonga, dosh etc.? All donations go to the caffeine fund.

btn_donate_LG.gif

patreon.png

rr1.png

rr2.png

rr3.png

KAPheader.png

Download from SpaceDock.info

A letter to the few that use Kerbin's Age of Pioneers

Sorry chaps and chapesses but I am planning to discontinue public updates and releases of this mod, for many reasons. There's many excellent alternatives to the parts in this pack and I've not time to commit to improving on the parts in KAP. However, that's not to say that there aren't some elements of KAP's original concept that I won't explore in future. Thanks for using the mod.

KAP does have a restrictive licence on it, I know. If someone I trust wishes to take up the mantle of updating the configs for compatibility with future versions of KSP, drop me a line. However, I do not wish to release the artwork or assets for modification.

randrinstallation.jpg

Everything in the GameData folder in the zip goes in the GameData folder of KSP.

This is what your GameData/KashCorp folder should look like after installing both Rovers & Roadsters and KAP:

kashcorpinstall.jpg

randrcredits.jpg

* Inspiration for the Mk1x05 and 1x1(BoxBase) standard comes from Lack and LLL.

* Credit to my wife for the obssessive testing of colliders and the extra sound effects whilst doing it.

randrlicence.jpg

Spoiler

Copyright © 2014-2016, Ashley Hall and Alpha Strike Games

All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

3. Neither the name of the copyright holder nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Edited by AlphaAsh

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Updated to v0.2.

Changelog:

• Re-organised folder structure. Delete old version before installing the new.
  • Truck Cab and Vroomer hatch now work.
  • Added an air intake to the Truck Cab.
  • Optimised models.
  • Optimised and improved textures.
  • Improved colliders.
  • Placeholder wheels updated to KSP 0.25.
  • Added placeholder dune-buggy wheel.

What could be done is lower the crash tolerance, kinda looks weird when the car is stripped of everything but it's frame and 'cockpit', especially after going 200+km/h into the ground :P but other than that, it's doing okay. Maybe model the tires from the truck tires on the trucks already at KSC, so it looks like it could fit in more.

Care to be more specific? This forum is full of "space stuff". Help me out because this just looks like a thread dump.

Well, lets see. Something designed to be carried on another planet in a rocket. Various places to draw inspiration:

- I've had this image in my for a long time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Exploration_Vehicle

090108-space-rover-hmed-4p.grid-6x2.jpg

-The Lunar Rover from Apollo missions would also be nice to see. (Recovered Mün footage -video)

-And some rovers from all kind of scifi. Halo, Star Trek (Nemesis), Mass Effect (I am aware there are actually two or three mods to add a Mako analog.), Aliens, Prometheus

Also googling "nasa concept car" or "Science fiction rover" or "space rover" or something similar bring up wide selection of various concept vehicles

As doing little research for this post I fell in love with this one http://www.canstockphoto.com/images-photos/space-rover.html#file_view.php?id=16413918

This might become long post, but I'll just add some random photos to end this:

507a02ce94aae97a5125ec6e24c5be8e.jpg

MMSEV.jpg

NASA-Moonstream-rover-by-Anthony-Sims.jpg

Mars_rover__face_Variation_rerender_01_900.png

Some nice ideas there. Thing is, that's not really the scope of this particular project. My focus is more on logistical support for operations on Kerbin. Personnel, fuel and cargo ground transport. So more traditional cars, trucks, vans, buses and so forth. There's a few other projects working on off-world rovers that might be more like what you want.

EDIT - And I do have something more along the lines of what you might like, that's to extend another one of my other projects, the Octabase Hub, but that's very much work in progress and I'm not ready to show anything off from that yet.

What could be done is lower the crash tolerance, kinda looks weird when the car is stripped of everything but it's frame and 'cockpit', especially after going 200+km/h into the ground :P but other than that, it's doing okay. Maybe model the tires from the truck tires on the trucks already at KSC, so it looks like it could fit in more.

Agreed on the crash tolerances. I'm going to take a look at that and a few other stat tweaks. I'm not quite ready to take the plunge with making wheels but I'd be very surprised if Lack's 'KSC utility/service-vehicle' parts wouldn't work with what I'm doing.

Edited by AlphaAsh

Agreed on the crash tolerances. I'm going to take a look at that and a few other stat tweaks. I'm not quite ready to take the plunge with making wheels but I'd be very surprised if Lack's 'KSC utility/service-vehicle' parts wouldn't work with what I'm doing.

but those parts are yellow! :P

but those parts are yellow! :P

Honestly, I prefer to use the KSO vehicle pack (it seems that only the KSOS 1.8m Shuttle EFT and Boosters suffer from the white texture bug, but I don't use the shuttle so I have only the ground vehicles installed). I'm using this too though, as the KMW Vehicles have a tendency to have their chassis come off when hitting stuff at high speeds.

Honestly, I prefer to use the KSO vehicle pack (it seems that only the KSOS 1.8m Shuttle EFT and Boosters suffer from the white texture bug, but I don't use the shuttle so I have only the ground vehicles installed). I'm using this too though, as the KMW Vehicles have a tendency to have their chassis come off when hitting stuff at high speeds.

I've noticed that the breakingForce and breakingTorque of parts isn't always reliable. I suspect there's a bug somewhere in KSP which will set a part to default values (which is 22 IIRC), which is why you often find wheels just falling off vehicles. I haven't been able to reliably reproduce the issue though. I tend to strut wheels to the hull if I want a ground vehicle to be more resilient.

Next version of the mod nearly ready. Lots of new parts.

Any news? Been holding off downloading this for so long :D

EDIT: Also, can I recommend that you use pngs or mbms for the textures? KSP tga loader is bugged which means they use something ridiculous like 40 times as much memory or something. May be not that extreme, but they don't get compressed and 0.25 can just sometimes fail to load tgas entirely. Or even .dds and bundle DDSLoader with it, that would save on loading times.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.