Launch Escape System Challenge!

Is this too challenging?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Is this too challenging?

This challenge requires that you make an entire spacecraft (aside from a capsule/probe to control it), from nothing from the new LESs. So try it out :) , I have seen this done, and tried it myself... but I know the harder modes, may be difficult, but it is very possible.

Conditions:

1. The only form of propellant or fuel source other than the stock onboard RCS/Energy, it to be the LESs' propellant.

2. Must start one the ground, if Launch Stabilizers are used to support it, then they may be used if the bottom is still in contact (or within 3 meters of the ground)

3. You may use construction materials, like struts and cubic struts.

4. You May have decouplers, radial and inline.

5. A SAS unit may be used.

6. The only form of thrust may be from a LES.

Challenge Difficulties:

Easy: 5,000 meters

Moderate: 15,000

Hard: Space, 70,000

Professional: Orbit, minimum Apo/Peri of 70km.

Manley: Land on the Mun, and return...

Leaderboard (in height):

-

-

-

Again, if you feel this is impossible, then keep trying I'm working on 45km atm. So it IS possible, just very very challenging...

Edited by ZooNamedGames

LES uses solid fuel? so what is to stop anyone using SRB's?

Just sayin', before you end up with entries with loads of SRB's strapped to the side! >.<

The heart of the challenge... Ill add that. But no, no SRBs allowed other than the LES itself.

This seems pretty interesting. Curiously, the LES engines have a very high Isp (320 sea level, 360 vacuum). But they have a horrible mass fraction, only 1.125, so each stage has at most about 350 m/s of delta-v. It would take a lot of stages to get into orbit...

This seems pretty interesting. Curiously, the LES engines have a very high Isp (320 sea level, 360 vacuum). But they have a horrible mass fraction, only 1.125, so each stage has at most about 350 m/s of delta-v. It would take a lot of stages to get into orbit...

Cue whackjob's computer-melting creation!

That's the idea... I'd recommend following Scott Manley's method of staging these suckers like his Sepotrons.

I expect all the people that voted "No" to land on the Mun and return. We can have a time challenge, who does it faster.

Possibly :) . The Mun challenge is only out there for those who spend 24/7+ on KSP alone and know the crazy mathematics. So that's only there for the Manley difficulty slot... Hey, at least it's better than land and return from Eve eh? :P

• 2 years later...
11 minutes ago, Codebreakerblue said:

Yeah! I'm gonna do a land and return from Jool!

Welcome to the forums ....

I love the enthusiasm, however, perhaps it would be a good idea to check the date of the last post in any thread you decide to post in as this thread died in the summer of 2014 (check the last posting date and that should help you ... if it's been over 4 or 5 months, best to let it be)

Look forward to your Kerbal shenanigans ... keep your stick on the ice :wink:

17 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Welcome to the forums ....

I love the enthusiasm, however, perhaps it would be a good idea to check the date of the last post in any thread you decide to post in as this thread died in the summer of 2014 (check the last posting date and that should help you ... if it's been over 4 or 5 months, best to let it be)

Look forward to your Kerbal shenanigans ... keep your stick on the ice :wink:

You know what, it's a cool challenge. I'm glad its back. It was highly underrated :wink: .

34 minutes ago, Codebreakerblue said:

Yeah! I'm gonna do a land and return from Jool!

Good luck :D !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.