You favorite tv series

Pawelk198604

I think it might be Babylon 5, particularly seasons 2-4. I watched it for the first time maybe 4 years ago, and I loved it. The episode Severed Dreams (third season) is particularly awesome.

More recently I've taken a real liking to iZombie and Dark Matter.

Edited by Randox

• 2 weeks later...

So many great ones that I just watch over and over (aka playing on second monitor while KSP is on my main)

Archer, Bob's Burgers, Futurama (The Fox ones, not the CC junk), Parks & Recreation, Doctor Who, Firefly, That 70s Show, Game Of Thrones, IT Crowd, All the completed Star Trek shows except Enterprise.

Edited by Geonovast
How did I forget Futurama?

On 03/10/2017 at 11:11 AM, Randox said:

Babylon 5 (...) for the first time maybe 4 years ago, and I loved it

What?? I mean, I loved it back when it was on, but I tried re-watching it lately, and even though I know the writing is very, very good, I couldn't stand the first episodes' acting and production...

But then again, my favorite TV show, all things considered, was The X-Files... and we all know how that turned out in the end, eh? In fact, I did re-watch it, entirely, twice in the last 5 years. The first time I did, I realized it got so bad near the end that, when it aired, I had completely given up on its last seasons, only watching the series finale, and really didn't miss much. And the reboot? Blech. 

20 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

That 70s Show

Hey, I am re-watching that currently, just got to the last season! It's so good!

20 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Doctor Who

That one, sadly, I'm too young to have watched it originally, then when I got interested I figured I had to watch from the beginning, and there's just too damn much so I never got around to it.

I tried once, but I don't think I started from a good place: Netflix had (or has?) one cycle of the series, which starts with a Space Titanic episode, the only one I've watched. Perhaps it's that particular Doctor (David Tennant, I like that actor!), or the storytelling of that particular episode, but I didn't like what I watched: from what I remember, it felt like a disconnected monster-of-the-week-or-whatever-it's-called-in-Doctor-Who-parlance, didn't really go anywhere, didn't seem to have meaningful character arcs, and concluded in an unhappy ending that didn't seem to leave much to segue into the next episodes.

I'm still interested in it, tho. Can anyone suggest some place in the timeline to start watching?

1 minute ago, monstah said:

That one, sadly, I'm too young to have watched it originally, then when I got interested I figured I had to watch from the beginning, and there's just too damn much so I never got around to it.

I tried once, but I don't think I started from a good place: Netflix had (or has?) one cycle of the series, which starts with a Space Titanic episode, the only one I've watched. Perhaps it's that particular Doctor (David Tennant, I like that actor!), or the storytelling of that particular episode, but I didn't like what I watched: from what I remember, it felt like a disconnected monster-of-the-week-or-whatever-it's-called-in-Doctor-Who-parlance, didn't really go anywhere, didn't seem to have meaningful character arcs, and concluded in an unhappy ending that didn't seem to leave much to segue into the next episodes.

I'm still interested in it, tho. Can anyone suggest some place in the timeline to start watching?

The Space Titanic episode was a Christmas special, which they are usually set slightly apart from the core series (Although there are some pretty subtle details in that episode that creep up later on)

It's weird that episode was the first one, as it is not the start of the reboot.  I don't know where you can go to view all the reboots without buying the show itself, as apparently Netflix no longer has them.  David Tennant is actually the second doctor of the reboot.  Christopher Eccleston was the first one (9th doctor)

The whole reboot is worth watching until you get to Clara as a companion.  She's pretty insufferable.  Although worth suffering through as Maisie Williams comes on for a few episodes.  Amy Pond is definitely my favorite companion, and I think Matt Smith's doctor has the best season-long arcs.

As for the original shows, you can't watch them all.  Even the BBC doesn't have all of them.  They got pretty excited when some of the lost episodes were found on VHS tapes in some off the wall TV station in (I wanna say Nigeria, but I'm likely wrong).

Well, I cannot choose just one. So here's my list... and they're in no sort of order...

• MASH
  • Star Trek: Original Series
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation
  • Star Trek: Voyager
  • Star Trek: Enterprise
  • Cheers
  • Carol Burnett Show
  • Phineas and Ferb
  • The X-Files
  • Millennium
  • Criminal Minds
  • Battlestar Galactica (both the original and remake)
  • Black Sheep Squadron
  • Babylon 5
Edited by adsii1970

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

Archer

I don't know about favorite show, but pouring three fingers of scotch and binge-watching Archer when my wife and kids are out of town is a favorite pastime. :)

Doctor Who

I must be the only science fiction fan on the planet who just doesn't get Doctor Who. I tried with the original series, I've tried with the reboot, it just isn't my cup of tea. To me it feels like there isn't any science to it at all. He just waves his magic wand and whatever the writers want to happen happens. I might as well be watching Harry Potter.

33 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:
  • MASH

I've still never seen the final episode of MASH. The night it aired I had a report due at school the next day, and as was my usual modus operandi I had left it to the last minute. So while everyone else was watching MASH I was in the dining room writing my report. And I've never managed to see it in reruns. I'm sure someone has it on streaming now, I should probably close the loop on that.

21 hours ago, monstah said:

What?? I mean, I loved it back when it was on, but I tried re-watching it lately, and even though I know the writing is very, very good, I couldn't stand the first episodes' acting and production...

Yeah, the first episode is...pretty bad. Frankly, I don't care a lot for the entire first season of Babylon 5. It has a lot of teething issues with the writing and acting, and it takes a very long time for the show to figure itself out and get a main plot going.

Most of the cast of B5 was horribly wooden and clunky. But the thing is, I have seen those people in other things where they were good, so I can only conclude that for some reason they were being told to act wodoenly and clunkily. 

On 10/11/2017 at 12:17 PM, TheSaint said:

I must be the only science fiction fan on the planet who just doesn't get Doctor Who. I tried with the original series, I've tried with the reboot, it just isn't my cup of tea. To me it feels like there isn't any science to it at all. He just waves his magic wand and whatever the writers want to happen happens. I might as well be watching Harry Potter.

TBH, isn't a lot of science in it (it at least being the reboot). I find it more interesting for the moral/character aspect of it (which is better done in some than others). The science is lacking.

However, avoid fan discussions. They can get kinda toxic.

On 10/11/2017 at 11:12 AM, monstah said:

I would say Season 3 First episode. Should be about space rhino police. You can also start from season one of the reboot, which is Ecclestone, but I'm not a particularly hardcore fan of him

They are on prime now, so that's good.

I'm gonna look like an old timer but... The Aeronauts, originally Les Chevalier du Ciel:

Following I would go for:

Starsky & Huch (yes, that's old too)

Pensacola Wings of Gold (less old, but still)

Airwolf

Wire in the Blood

Midsomer Murders

Wallander

Knight Rider

Drawn Together (just love the level of criticism)

Not the favorite, but currently I'm keeping a laboratory journal on "Inhumans" series, trying to ascertain, from which length will the redhead heroine's cut short hair start wiggling again.
I would presume that while being cut short. her hair would flicker like ciliated epithelium. But not yet.

Edited by kerbiloid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.