The Elite: Dangerous thread

gmpd2000

I am considering buying The Elite: Dangerous but i am waiting until it is on steam first.....

If it was ever going to be on steam it would have been at launch.

If your like me and are obsessed with stats, there are plenty of small things out there you can download to record your play time.

Nice! I had my first recording in game. My skills are not as good as I recall in flight sims. For those on the fence...

I had an absolute blast

Nice flying, the dogfights in the asteroid fields are awesome in Elite - my fav part of this game so far.

I made it. After an epic trek, I finally made it.

b6rFgDZ.png

Earth. After going through hell with some bounty hunting, I'll be damned if it wasn't a sight for sore eyes. I'm sat in a station around Barnard's Star at the moment, but I'll be heading back to Sol to poke around a bit.

As for that bounty hunting, well, it was pretty horrific. I'd racked up around 120,000 credits (which made me happy), and I had a couple of pi**ed off Eagles shooting at me, plus some corrupt Federal Viper (which had no wanted tag on it). All in a days work for me, this stuff. I take out the Eagles after taking a bit of a hammering myself, especially to my thrusters. I could barely keep my ship flying straight at one point. Anyway, I'm just about to deal with some other wanted guy when that damn Fed comes back and completely knocks my thrusters out. To say I was annoyed would be an understatement. I had to self-destruct when I realised that the distress beacon option had been removed from the panel on the right. 140,000cr (insurance cost on my Viper plus that initial haul) down the drain :(

The Feds are a bit of a problem; pretty much every nav beacon I go to, one will decide to start shooting at me for a crime that I haven't done, a bounty that I don't have on my head. Normally, I can ignore them, but now I can't. I can't shoot them, though, otherwise I will get a bounty on my head. So what did I do to the next one that shot at me?

Rammed him. Four pips to Systems. Boost. Boom. I killed a Fed and got no bounty on my head. I was pretty happy with myself after that :P

I took the leap thinking it would run horribly on my rig (i7 2.8cpu, ati 5870 and 6gb ram), but it runs like a dream, even have some low level anti aliasing switched on.

The game is buggy as hell though, I've had a few bsod's, regular freezing and got hit by a trading bug that saw me loose my cargo. I really think having a persistent online commodity market was a big mistake, there's far too much reliance on servers for this game.

That being said, I've been playing space trucker non stop for 5 hours, and I've been involved in one battle where I was forced to defend myself. I can tell this game is going to be a ksp level time sync, it's really fantastically addictive. I wish I was playing it right now.

The game is buggy as hell though, I've had a few bsod's, regular freezing and got hit by a trading bug that saw me loose my cargo. I really think having a persistent online commodity market was a big mistake, there's far too much reliance on servers for this game.

Been playing since Beta 1, and I can honestly say that I have never had a BSOD playing elite. Had some freezes before, but not since gamma. The most severe thing I had since the game came out was dropping to desktop with an error maybe two times and a couple of times getting a message that the connection to server was lost, but never a freeze. It might be something with your computer. Try getting the latest drivers maybe?

Yeah I bumped up my drivers thinking it was a hardware issue. It's been a bit more stable since (one bsod in 4-5 hours) but still getting the occasional freeze. Also it's been pretty hot here, so the video card could be cracking up with the heat.

Edited by FlamedSteak

Some really disturbing things are going on at the moment with the servers - lots of people reporting weird bugs, money wiped etc. I`m lucky that I dont do trading and only bounty hunting- lots of glitches reported by harmed trades today :(

Where do you guys usually bounty hunt? I'm currently going around the Jen Ebalog system. Resource extraction sites less than 1 light-second away from the nearest station, makes retrieving bounties (and paying off bounties for accidentally hitting Feds) a lot less time consuming. I was previously in LTT 15574 running between RES and Haxel Port (~100 LS separation).

I prefer RES over Nav Beacons mainly because there's a lot more action. Smaller bounties, maybe, but a lot more bounties to go around. Making around 200k/hour in my Viper.

Where do you guys usually bounty hunt?

When I used to bounty hunt I'd pick my targets in supercruise and use a frame shift interdictor to pull them out of hyperspace. This way I could pick high bounty targets everytime. Systems vary on how good hunting they are, but I've had places that fairly regularly get hight bounty (~30k) smugglers in type-6's. With the right setup, you can take them down before they jump to hyperspace since they won't fight back or even evade your shots.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.