The Elite: Dangerous thread

gmpd2000

Probably C++ like most AAA games. But I wouldn't be surprise if they also put a script language into it for scripting missions and events.

Ok, thanks. I'm programming a game similar, and was wondering what language I should learn to program it in.

• 3 weeks later...
Heading to imperial space to buy a clipper, I'll keep you informed!

Do you have the rank required?

I was going to do that but got sick of doing seemingly hundreds of tedious missions with virtually no rank progression at all.

If I'd carried on I estimate it would have taken around 2000 hours to get the ship, but as the game is mind numbingly dull I stopped and went back to KSP.

Do you have the rank required?

I was going to do that but got sick of doing seemingly hundreds of tedious missions with virtually no rank progression at all.

If I'd carried on I estimate it would have taken around 2000 hours to get the ship, but as the game is mind numbingly dull I stopped and went back to KSP.

rank 2 is the required rank now. the emperor woke up or something.

rank 2 is the required rank now. the emperor woke up or something.

Truth is I'm not sure how to rank up at all, I couldn't find any missions that seemed to be Imperial military so I just kept doing mission for anyone with Empire in their name but really wasn't making any progress after dozens of missions.

I swear the makers of this game don't want people to make any progress, to get any progress at all seems like it needs hundreds of hours investment and the game is 90% just sat there watching your ship trundle through space.

I just can't understand how Elite 2 twenty years ago was a really fun game and this one is nowhere near as good.

It's not just the lack of planetary landings, there are lots of reasons.

For example in elite 2 you can see a proper solar system view (with orbits) of any system from anywhere else and then target the planet or space station you want to get to, jump into the system and fly there in seconds using the autopilot.

Another thing is the awful external camera they finally put in, begrudgingly it seems as the only way to control it is with the same gamepad controls used to fly the ship.

every time I try to get a look at my ship flying past a station or star I fail because by the time I've got the camera in the right position the object I wanted to look at is half a light year behind me. :mad:

Why won't they let me use the mouse to move the camera?

and nothing says "We don't want you to use this feature" more than a debug message when you activate the external camera.

frankly if they don't add in an autopilot that let's me get where I want to go in seconds and fix the external camera, I just can't be bothered

there are so many other games that are much more fun to play that I don't see the point in investing the time required to make any progress.

Edited by MartGonzo

Hmm, what did I do today?

I went on a nice little vacation to visit the solar system that had three black holes, and all sorts of crazy ..... Took screen shots and slapped some awesome captions - I felt like I was visiting some kind of spatial Grand Canyon.

I trafficked a few trade contracts to have the minimum of 100 required to keep my rank2 in the Alliance (Powerplay).. no time at the moment to do anything useful.

I have a nicely upgraded light weight cobra with a class A fuel scoop and advanced scanners. proper rig for exploration with an empty 12LY jumps capablity. or if required 16t cargo and still good enough for combating ASP's and alike with gymballed burst lasers, a gatling and a big canon to scare away the big badguys.

It's a good game if you consider it alpha state, however I am more looking forward to Star Citizen. All I need is a rig that can run the CRY engine..

back to Elite. I like the idea of powerplay, but it seriously lacks a social aspect. for example in WOW there where massive cities where people would just hang around and and browse auctions in the market. Then spend gold to buy fancy suits just to show off.

I would like to see something like that in the future of Elite. Walking around with my personal flight suit. big gun over my shoulder and a pet-R2D2 following me around.

:)

That looks cool. Is it going to be DLC?

It looks awesome! It is DLC, but there's been some confusion surrounding the whole thing. This FAQ clears it up quite nicely, though.

Some other links:

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/247

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=172379

Anyway, I got back from my exploration mission. Made ~56,000,000cr and got to Pioneer rank, plus there are 19 Earth-likes out there that have my name stamped on 'em, along with many other worlds :D

I went from blind fanboyism during the beta to almost not playing the game now. Non of the updates bring anything that I wanted to see in game (yes I`m one of those that took the part about SP offline content too serious).

I won't be buying this I think. The whole Elite went Mehhh for me. And no, I wont use "my imagination" (yes, I have the problem with Elite community too).

I`m a very bitter sad commander now.

I went from blind fanboyism during the beta to almost not playing the game now. Non of the updates bring anything that I wanted to see in game (yes I`m one of those that took the part about SP offline content too serious).

I won't be buying this I think. The whole Elite went Mehhh for me. And no, I wont use "my imagination" (yes, I have the problem with Elite community too).

I`m a very bitter sad commander now.

Developers often suffer from sudden death like this. Take Fishlabs as an example. They were the developers who created the "Galaxy on Fire" series on mobile devices. They made a meh first game, an absolutely awesome second game, and instead of making a third game in the series they put out some dumb MMO strategy game that NOBODY asked for and NOBODY liked. Now they have gone silent.

Looks like we are paying for landing on rocky barren bodies only - you want to land on the earth like world? Money up front for the next "pass". Correct me if i`m wrong but they are pulling Battlefield Premium here.

Looks like we are paying for landing on rocky barren bodies only - you want to land on the earth like world? Money up front for the next "pass". Correct me if i`m wrong but they are pulling Battlefield Premium here.

Well, that seems reasonable, but only if the expansion content is going to be of much higher quality and complexity than the base game. It's very likely that frontier is low on money due to the wobbly release of the game and the absence of a huge shirking hypewave.

Well, that seems reasonable, but only if the expansion content is going to be of much higher quality and complexity than the base game. It's very likely that frontier is low on money due to the wobbly release of the game and the absence of a huge shirking hypewave.

You forgot the fact that there are more games like Elite: Dangerous about to hit the market. I bet No Man's Sky has caused some damage to Elite: Dangerous' sales.

Well I'm really enjoying Elite at the moment. Have had a go at every career, done tons of exploring and am now back in the bubble do community goals, trading and bounty hunting. Sure sometimes it's a bit samey and grindy, but I have a spaceship which can explore the whole freaking galaxy!

Anyway, I thought the idea of landing on the planets and driving the Scarab looks so much fun I decided to try it for myself:

ilmo6Ja.jpg

Here's the whole mission:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by cptdavep

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.