The Elite: Dangerous Thread

Post here your E: D stuff.

What did you do today?

How much money you made?

Discovered a profitable trade route?

Post it all here!

Edited by gmpd2000
Better.

Premium Beta here. You'll love the full (-ish) galaxy we've got going on :sticktongue:

But seriously, it's fun. It does need more stuff to do, but it's a Beta, so we'll no doubt be getting much more stuff, and that's perfectly acceptable. And that full-ish galaxy will become a full galaxy eventually (although you probably already know that).

I've been playing the premium beta for a couple of weeks (got an unexpected royalty check from Amazon and splurged). Now I'm downloading the actual beta. Can't wait!

Seriously this is the most fun I've had in a space game with combat since....hmm...probably TIE Fighter.

Nice one ...

are there any buttons to raise/lower the landing gear and to communicate with the currently selected target in order to gain a landing permission, so that you don´t have to maneuver through the left/right screens?

(Tried the "2"-Key for communicating with a station and acquire docking clearance ... but somehow it treated the station like another player or NPC ships with regards to the options offered ... only got the option to apply or docking clearance in the Communicate tab of the lft screen)

Landing gear can be hooked up to a key or button, just tinker with the control settings in the pause menu. As for docking clearance, I'm fairly certain you can only do that through the menu.

Thanks ...

hooked it up to one of the buttons of my Saitek X52 HOTAS, as well as the Cargo Scoop.

Also had the dubios pleasure of getting shot by one notorious Playerkiller.

Well, I was in a Hauler, so no surprise ... hopefully, next time I´ll see him I will be in something that is vastly superior to his Viper :D

I've finally upgraded from my Sidewinder to an Eagle. I've had so much bad luck with money in Elite, it's unbelievable, but I did it. Now I've just got to go and get a load more money :P

You made a huge mistake. The eagle is the worst ship in the game. You should have saved up for a hauler instead!

You made a huge mistake. The eagle is the worst ship in the game. You should have saved up for a hauler instead!

I'll likely be grabbing a Hauler anyway to capitalise on some of the more lucrative missions available, but I don't think it's fair to say the Eagle is the worst ship; it's definitely fast and agile, and can mount 3 weapons over the Sidewinder's 2.

It just felt good to upgrade regardless of the ship :P

I'll likely be grabbing a Hauler anyway to capitalise on some of the more lucrative missions available, but I don't think it's fair to say the Eagle is the worst ship; it's definitely fast and agile, and can mount 3 weapons over the Sidewinder's 2.

It just felt good to upgrade regardless of the ship :P

The jump range of the eagle makes it worse than a sidewinder. The weapon mounts will decrease the already ridiculously small jump range, so the eagle often gets stuck inside a few connected systems. That never happened to me in a sidewinder. Plus, the sidewinder is FREE! Yay!

Well, after trapping myself with the Eagle somehow (I wanted to go from I Bootis to Eranin, a jump which I did once before, under the same conditions, but couldn't do this time :huh:), I suddenly found myself agreeing with you on that not-so-tiny fact :P

I do now own a Hauler and am trading between Eranin, I Bootis, and Aulin for the moment. Tea is a damn good way to make a profit from Eranin to I Bootis. Go figure :P

At least I can also explore more now, too :)

I to got myself an eagle as soon as i could afford one and screwed up real bad. I thought I'd fancy myself as a pirate and decided to attack some player sidewinder around Eranin starport (foolishly thinking the police would be OK with it as long as I was outside the no-fire zone). Needless to say I was lucky to escape with my life at 15% hp when i jumped to supercruise. Fearing a galactic-wide bounty i decided to jump to freeport, since it's an anarchy system. That should have been the end of it, but foolishly i decided to stop off at an unidentified signal in the system. I couldn't believe my eyes when I jumped in to find a field of gold cannisters floating in space! Unfortunately it was to good to be true, and whilst I was occupied operating the cargo scoop, 3 pirate vipers sneaked up on me. Before I knew it I had 3 heat-seekers (rather over kill at 15% hp) on my tail and I was blown to smithereens.

Without the 2000-odd credits to pay the insurance, I got dumped back at square 1 in a sidewinder with 1k credits... there goes 10 hours gameplay ;.;

The thing with the eagle is although it's a significantly better fighter than the sidewinder, since trading is the only real way to make money in the beta it's pretty much useless.

I wouldn't say trading is the only way to make decent money; I managed to get my Eagle purely through combat missions. Accept one of the contracts that wants you to kill Federation targets and head to the Federal Distress Signal at Eranin 2. Even with one pulse laser and a Sidewinder, the Federation Condor fighters are easy pickings and you soon rack up a good few thousand credits in bounty vouchers if you stick around long enough. It worked for me so it should work for anyone :)

It's a good use for the Eagle, seeing as it is pretty much a dedicated fighter, but it's not for me because of my itch to go and explore what we have :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think a few screenshots are in order, just because:P

NGl9aJm.jpg

Aulin Enterprise was surprisingly detailed when I got up close.

m9lSAFy.jpg

Somehow, I actually managed to get to Freeport without being interdicted...

ip0HH2v.jpg

Anacondas look good even sitting still.

3MSiWFN.jpg

THE COLOURS! THE PRETTY COLOURS :D

LKS6TTW.jpg

I was completely unaware of a new station type being added in until I got here. My exploration efforts were rewarded after all :)

I wouldn't say it's much of an O'Neill Cylinder, though...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.