The Elite: Dangerous thread

gmpd2000

Oh, I'm hyped alright. I've admired the Courier since it was revealed, and I will probably come back from exploring uncharted worlds several hundred light years from home just to get one.

The Powerplay update can't come soon enough, really, and we've still got the main body of the update to be revealed to us yet :D

I am actually really disappointed with their final cockpit decision. The concept art picture looked much better, and it actually had a cockpit that made you feel exposed to space, but this one is just one of many frontal facing cockpits.

Commander's log:

I have arrived, ship is in perfect condition, made about 850k in profit.

In order to ensure mental health, I had to talk to my friend, mordin86:

mordin86: heh did you sell your last stuff?

2000gmod: No

2000gmod: Thats what im doing

mordin86: ah ok, goimg back home I see

2000gmod: Can't wait to fly the Vulture again

2000gmod: But the asp is good

2000gmod: I'll stick with the Asp

mordin86: how much ships you have stored around? I thnik I have like seven sidewinders serving as a map beacons lol

2000gmod: None, I wanted that fuels scoop real bad, you see

2000gmod: DO NOT READ THIS

2000gmod: What did you do?

2000gmod: That's what loneliness does to you

2000gmod: Oh hey it rhymed

mordin86: :D faith of the lonely explorer

2000gmod: "Explorer's Sickness"

2000gmod: Hyperspace Hyperspace, does whatever a hyperspider can

mordin86: remember guy in Interstellar movie - he had to wait alone for like 6 years while his friends spend like 1h on the planet - thats a problem lol

2000gmod: 23, actually

2000gmod: But let's face it, that idiot didn't went into hypersleep

2000gmod: or cryosleep

2000gmod: or whateversleep

mordin86: he was reserching the black hole or something, he shouold gone crazy to be honest

2000gmod: Crossing the brown dwarf ring now

2000gmod: 88 PERCENT HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2000gmod: Lalalala

2000gmod: Hyperspace is a tunnel

mordin86: pls dont blow up you will rage quit if you do I think ;)

2000gmod: We're all cruising in a yellow starship

2000gmod: yellow starship

2000gmod: 'Cause this is fuel

2000gmod: Fuel night!

2000gmod: Brown dwarfs gonna get ya and leave you cooooold

2000gmod: Whoooohoooohooo!

mordin86: you spending too much time alone in space dude! ;)

2000gmod: Enough to make songs

2000gmod: LALALALALALALALALAL

2000gmod: *guitar solo*

mordin86: :D

mordin86: talk to your imaginary co pilot - thats what I do

mordin86: empty seat i my cobra is scarying me

2000gmod: In soviet Asp, empty seat is BELOW you!

mordin86: lol

2000gmod: Doctor, how bad is it?

mordin86: you might have a small problem commander - try to find a friend to tgalk to ;)

2000gmod: Oh god

mordin86: we use to have bobbleheads in our ships - I miss those - it would help you in your travels I think. to have a davig braven bobblhead

mordin86: david braben, cant type sry

2000gmod: Who woudn't want that?

2000gmod: 24 jumps

2000gmod: To end of route

mordin86: almost home

2000gmod: Then 15 more to home

2000gmod: I feel like the system's name are trying to say something

2000gmod: They haev codes

2000gmod: first letteers

2000gmod: TH

2000gmod: then

2000gmod: AR

2000gmod: then

2000gmod: GO

2000gmod: what's next?

2000gmod: And then the fuel scoop is making creepy sounds

mordin86: IDS? oh no!

2000gmod: Damnit game

2000gmod: Elite dangerous is a horror game

2000gmod: Next up on ED: Stars dancing Thriller

mordin86: look at Elite main menu screen and than Alien: Isolation one - its almost the same lol

2000gmod: Yeah

mordin86: I love it

2000gmod: But the androids didn'd dance thriller and the alien as MJ

mordin86: yea :(

2000gmod: Ok, a system name has a code "ID"

2000gmod: Oh god

2000gmod: I'll tell you when i'm arriving, you can greet me on sol

mordin86: Thargoids are out there I`m sure David will includ them in game at some piont.

2000gmod: I will go to sol as last destination

2000gmod: And end of trip

2000gmod: 900 LY out

2000gmod: I'll tell you when I'm on human space

mordin86: I need to go to sleep now, good luck brave commander!

2000gmod: Good luck in your sleep to you!

2000gmod: Oh no

mordin86: ah thank you :D

2000gmod: AHHH

2000gmod: EXPLORERS SICKNESSSSSS

2000gmod: Thank you for making this trip a more confy experience

mordin86: imagine you have a robot friend - like interstellar guy robot :D

2000gmod: even though my explorer's sickness is still kicking hard

2000gmod: Let's make that humour 60

mordin86: agree, cu later

2000gmod: cya

2000gmod: Watch the fuel, TARS

mordin86: :)

2000gmod: TARS?

2000gmod: Oh come on, don't plot me a route to a brown dwarf

i know this is an old thread, but I've gotten a trade-modified Mk.III that does Leesti-39 Tauri runs. Quite profitable!

Old thread? It's still fairly active in here :)

Anyway, more exploration. After reaching that HIP 63835 system, I went a little beyond the Coal Sack but now I'm just sort of wandering around between systems, heading back in the general direction of civilisation. I changed my mind about which way I wanted to explore, and now I want to follow the spiral inwards instead of heading towards the end of the arm.

Nc94ZPC.png

wCuOIst.png

I found this sort of Duna and Ike analogue. Not exact, but fairly close:

B9POFMM.png

77c5EPK.png

oyF5UzU.png

Oh my god, the asp in front of the blue star, new desktop background!

I don't suppose you have a higher res version....

Alas, that 4K screenshot function doesn't work in Open Play (I believe), so I've only got the 1080p version :rolleyes:

I returned to 70 Virginis yesterday, completing my first bout of proper exploration.

FrEvpAL.png

xxz5MTf.png

Here's the first station I encountered on the way back, one of those adapted Coriolis starports. I actually passed through Jackson's Lighthouse on the way here (a neutron star system); a Federation system with absolutely zero stations.

5YbPpA5.png

I didn't sell my data here, though. I got my ship refuelled and repaired, but the data was going to the Alliance, not the Federation or the Empire. That's my allegiance (and I do hope the Alliance gets some attention soon).

So, back at 70 Virginis after fast-tracking through Federation space...

ogbFZiL.png

VSbCgZ3.png

To sum up, I made 1,979,126cr after travelling roughly 1100LY. 634 planets and stars were scanned (:confused:), around 40 or 50 of which now have my name stamped on 'em as the discoverer. And I went up to Trailblazer rank.

And that was all from a relatively short trip :D

I'll give exploration a little break and get some more bounty hunting done. Around the 1.3 update will be when I head back out, I think :)

• 3 weeks later...

So I've just had an interesting experience. I'd just docked at Fawcett Hub and some guy asked me what my business was in the system. I check to see who they are, and they're flying a Python. I just respond with 'bounty hunting at the RES's', to which they reply 'don't go hunting any alliance protectorate ships, wanted or not'. I, being a bounty hunter, don't care for political alignment of wanted ships; if they're wanted, they're fair game, so I tell them this and they go silent. I lifted off and they followed me out of the station. A quick check shows me they're clean (admittedly I was a little annoyed by that :rolleyes:), so I jumped out and headed for the nearest RES.

Then they interdicted me. Well, they tried, anyway. They got dropped out somehow, but I wasn't gonna let them get away with that, so I jumped in on their wake signal and started Kill Warrant scanning (it's worth mentioning at this point that I no longer have a Cobra but instead I'm flying a Vulture that's essentially fully upgraded within the bounds of the best power plant you can hook up to the ship). Annoyingly, the scan still brought the Python up as clean. We bumped into each other head-on, minor shield damage to both ships, and that caught my attention; their Python was about on-par with my Vulture in that area.

Naturally, the Python, being the decidedly hostile fellow in this encounter, then opened fire on me and got my shields down, and managed to breach my canopy, but oh man, they weren't expecting my class 3 burst lasers :wink:

I caused more hull damage to that Python than they did to me, and in less time, even with my canopy blown out. They ran away with their tail between their legs before I could finish them off. Got my Vulture patched up and I haven't seen them since :P

-----

Pretty picture from a quick trip out to Lave (even though that's not Lave, it's the Amadioha system):

in1ByKW.png

Edited by RogueMason

• 2 weeks later...

The Courier's a beauty and I want one, that's for sure, but no-one is sure what role it's meant to fill. It's about the size of a Viper, but at that size range we already have ships that fill each role; the Adder for exploration, the Viper for combat, and the Cobra is the all-rounder. So what will the Courier actually be for? Pure trading? I hope not. That's too slick a design to waste on trading, but the name could imply it.

People have also been suggesting it's meant to fill a gap between the Cobra and the Asp, otherwise it may well end up being a pretty useless ship. With the combat-explorer Diamondback coming too, though, the gap looks filled.

I think David Braben said it's only flyable once you hit a certain rank in the Imperial navy, so it could actually be a pretty good ship.

The Courier; one confusing son of a b****. At least the Diamondback already has its role revealed :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.