[1.1.3] Punish The Lazy: A really simple reputation nibbler.

How punishing is this mod?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How punishing is this mod?

• Far too punishing. Stop hitting me!
    • It could be easier.
    • Just right.
    • A bit easy.
    • Far too easy! You call this punishment!?

Source code Available Here.

binaries [alternate]

Now on CKAN.

Old version:

Spoiler

Binaries here. [Alternate Download]

Tested on 32 bit. It's experimental, was done in about 5 minutes and isn't guaranteed not to turn your computer into smouldering scrap, and thoroughly shock your kittens. Feel free to play with it and let me know if you think it's too punishing or not punishing enough.

Update 24th July 2014: Reputation notice added.

Update 20th August 2014: Some startup-related bugs whacked. Thanks, stupid_chris.

Update 21st September 2016: Long-overdue maintenance update for 1.1.3

Ah, better explained in the links. It gives you a month of in-game grace-period during which time you can do nothing and just sit in time warp if you like. If however, you don't keep doing things, such as a staging event, doing science or a few other event types, it starts penalising you at the rate of 0.1 rep per hour.

Once you trigger a game event to prove you're not just being lazy, it stops punishing you for another month. The relevant code so far for the captured event types is here:

GameEvents.onStageActivate.Add(onStageActivate);
GameEvents.onVesselRecovered.Add(onVesselRecovered);
GameEvents.onCrewOnEva.Add(onCrewOnEVA);
GameEvents.onCrewBoardVessel.Add(onCrewBoardVessel);
GameEvents.OnProgressComplete.Add(onProgressComplete);
GameEvents.OnProgressAchieved.Add(onProgressAchieved);
GameEvents.OnTechnologyResearched.Add(onTechnologyResearched);

Edited by technicalfool
Clarification.

Just an idea, but you could also rebalance the game's reputation system. I'd like to do more than 2 or 3 successful missions before my rep is maxed, and failures could be a bit more punitive.

+1 for notification

Good concept, but here's a what if:

The player sends a really long term mission -- somewhere out to Jool maybe. There is nothing interesting left to do in Kerbin system, and no new Kerbin-local contracts either, so basically no reason to launch much of anything.

Should they be penalized for timewarping through the entire transfer to Jool?

So, if you are planning a trip to Jool... setup a maneuver node that is in 200+ days, then timewarp to it, you'll come back with zero reputation? Am I understanding that correctly?

Might want to suggest Kerbal Alarm Clock to those who use this.

So, if you are planning a trip to Jool... setup a maneuver node that is in 200+ days, then timewarp to it, you'll come back with zero reputation? Am I understanding that correctly?

At 0.1 rep per hour after the first Münar month and 6 hours per Kerbin day I don't know if you'll come back with 0, but yes, the idea is you can't just sit there time warping through a long mission without penalty. It's still a bit experimental, so the amounts and times involved might change in the future.

One thing I would like to do is break the numbers out into a text file and let you tweak how punishing it is, but eh, IR KSP modding noob. Yellow popup text notifications should be easy enough though, so watch this space.

So... you need to warp, stop, EVA out, EVA in, warp, stop, EVA out, EVA in....

no offence, but: that's idiotic.

Why the heck would anyone install a mod that adds more clickfest to already clickfest-rich game?

The relevant code so far for the captured event types is here:

GameEvents.onCrewOnEva.Add(onCrewOnEVA);
GameEvents.onCrewBoardVessel.Add(onCrewBoardVessel);

Well, that's what you could do, and if that's how you want to do it, then more power to you.

I'm more envisaging that people will take on multiple contracts and do multiple missions though. A few quick Mün or Minmus missions can be done while you're sending stuff out on an interplanetary mission, and it might encourage you to space your Münar science gathering out a little rather than doing some monstrous "2 ships 1 tree" mission attempt.

Bear in mind this mod is still very much WIP. The amount of time you get to be lazy in, and the amount (and types) of punishment you get for being lazy, may change.

no offence, but: that's idiotic.

Why the heck would anyone install a mod that adds more clickfest to already clickfest-rich game?

You don't "need" to do anything. If you're the sort of person who'd do that if they added this mod, you aren't the target audience. The target audience is presumably those who want to actually force themselves to *do* things, instead of letting themselves timewarp to launch windows and interplanetary arrivals.

Ahhh, so it stops you from timewarping 496 days into the future for that perfect Eeloo window while your poor Kerbals twiddle their thumbs. Brilliant!

I self-enforce a rule about not timewarping more than a Kerbal week at once, but I like that there's a mod to help other people do it.

I was thinking of doing something like this, but depleting funds rather than reputation - for rent,salaries, etc.

It really helps the immersion (for me) to have multiple missions going on at once, I like doing a launch one (real life) day, the mid-course burn a few days later, and arrival a few days after that. Just warping until the next bit of a one-and-only mission makes it feel less real and less of an achievement.

Thanks for the mod. :)

• 2 years later...

Not wanting to run afoul of the mod update rules here (especially as you are a moderator!) - but was wondering if you were planning on updating this to 1.1 at any point?

If not, would you mind if I ran with it? I would really like to use it as a companion mod for my MonthlyBudgets mod.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/09/2016 at 1:17 PM, severedsolo said:

Not wanting to run afoul of the mod update rules here (especially as you are a moderator!) - but was wondering if you were planning on updating this to 1.1 at any point?

If not, would you mind if I ran with it? I would really like to use it as a companion mod for my MonthlyBudgets mod.

Updating PunishTheLazy has been on the list of "things to do" ever since I made it. It's LGPL licensed (and pretty simple to figure out anyway), so feel free to fork if you want. I've actually not tested to see if it still works since 1.0!

Guess I should really go and do that...

2 hours ago, technicalfool said:

Updating PunishTheLazy has been on the list of "things to do" ever since I made it. It's LGPL licensed (and pretty simple to figure out anyway), so feel free to fork if you want. I've actually not tested to see if it still works since 1.0!

Guess I should really go and do that...

I know it doesn't work in 1.1.3 as is, but I fixed a transaction reasons error and recompiled it for myself and it worked ok.

I'll wait and see what happens in 1.2 and if you don't do anything with it I might fork it. Cheers for the permission, I know the license says I can, but I always like to check, sometimes "can do something" is not the same as "should do something".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.