Something to think about, in the wake of Apollo 11's 45 anniversary..

Kurtvw

Damn, that's deep. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on, but then I realized that everyone except for him is in the picture, literally. No metaphoric mumbo jumbo or anything.

Glad you enjoyed it.

You could argue that those not yet born are not in it, but thats picking nits... Life has basically two states, they are alive, and not alive. I was born after the date this photo was taken. I was not alive. Not alive is dead for all intents and purposes.

Its a big photo, and only less than the 'Pale Blue Dot' photo by one man, who was kind enough to hold the camera.

For me Michael Collins represents the ultimate form of sacrifice in the modern era. Yes yes, i know, but listen a second, you don't always have to die to make it a sacrifice:

he had to go through all the training the others did, he took the same risk the others did, he participated in probably the most significant moment in history "yet", he KNEW he would not get recognition for it outside of the "in the know"-crowd...

BUT

without him the mission would not have happened. Sure other ppl where involved, but he actually took the risk to fly there, a step above someone in a control center.

Now, take that for what you will, but thats the form of collaboration that lets humans do extraordinary things, without ppl willing to step back to support others basically nothing happens on earth. There are alot of such figures in history we will never know about that made things possible. Thats also why Armstrong always refused to celebrate himself as a hero, it was a group effort and should be celebrated as such.

Interestingly enough we still live in a society that desperately searches for "celebities" all the time even creating them out of nothing doing nothing important at all. Shows me we arn't that evolved after all.

Edited by TNM

For me Michael Collins represents the ultimate form of sacrifice in the modern era. Yes yes, i know, but listen a second, you don't always have to die to make it a sacrifice:

he had to go through all the training the others did, he took the same risk the others did, he participated in probably the most significant moment in history "yet", he KNEW he would not get recognition for it outside of the "in the know"-crowd...

BUT

without him the mission would not have happened. Sure other ppl where involved, but he actually took the risk to fly there, a step above someone in a control center.

Now, take that for what you will, but thats the form of collaboration that lets humans do extraordinary things. There are alot of such figures in history we will never know about that made things possible. Thats also why Armstrong always refused to celebrate himself as a hero, it was a group effort and should be celebrated as such.

KSP needs a 'like' button. Well said. It would be hard to fly all the way out there and not get to go the last few feet. But someone had to tow that line and he did. Skillfully and without ever being anything other than purely professional.

Similarly, among Aldrin and Armstrong, one man was going to be first and Nasa decided Armstrong. Buzz never liked that decision, but he stayed cool and did the job.

One thing I've noticed about Apollo 11 in the past few days that I thought was pretty nice was that Jim Lovell's been turning up with Aldrin & Collins to the anniversary celebrations. Even after 45 years he's still fulfilling his role as backup commander to Armstrong.

For me Michael Collins represents the ultimate form of sacrifice in the modern era.

No. Nope. Nooooooop. :P

His willingness to take on such a demanding and dangerous job could be considered a sacrifice, but as for remaining in lunar orbit while others landed on the surface, definitely not. That was his job.

I don't know why the fact that he is less recognized or receives less credit even enters into this. That's superficial egoic nonsense that doesn't matter one tiny little bit.

He was fortunate enough to become an astronaut at an incredibly exciting time, flew on a Gemini mission, performed an EVA, and played a key role in the most famous Apollo mission.

Sure, he had to stay in orbit....boo-freaking-hoo.

That is not a sacrifice by any stretch of the imagination.

KSP needs a 'like' button. Well said. It would be hard to fly all the way out there and not get to go the last few feet.

You guys are crazy.

Why do the last few feet matter? He had a way better view and a unique experience all his own. You guys are thinking only in terms of loss as though somehow he missed out on something, but nobody lost or missed anything.

Did I mention that HE GOT TO GO TO THE FREAKING MOON!?!?!? =)

Who else can say that they were responsible for making sure Neal and buzz were able to get back from the moon. For my anniversary flight to the memorial, made sure to thank all three of them on my flag and not just buzz and neal

How do we know that pic wasn't taken after the ascent stage was jettisoned? Other then that.. uh.. I just wish that people would start getting interested in this stuff again. People these days need something to look up too. Something to look forward to when turning on the news.

His willingness to take on such a demanding and dangerous job could be considered a sacrifice, but as for remaining in lunar orbit while others landed on the surface, definitely not. That was his job.

Another thing few people consider is this: While he may have gone all the way to the Moon but not set foot on it (as did eleven other people not mentioned in this topic), he had one consolation - if something went wrong with the landing, he was the one who'd still make it home.

Another thing few people consider is this: While he may have gone all the way to the Moon but not set foot on it (as did eleven other people not mentioned in this topic), he had one consolation - if something went wrong with the landing, he was the one who'd still make it home.

I'd suggest you give this a read:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/jul/19/michael-collins-astronaut-apollo11

It seems the prospect of coming home alone, was not much of a consolation to him.

Great stuff here. Yep, Michael Collins was acutely aware of being the furthest human away...while Neil, Buzz and the rest of humanity were on the other side of the moon from him. See "Carrying the Fire," an excellent read, by Mike Collins himself.

Seriously folks, is there anybody here who wouldn't be willing to fly the command module even if it meant not walking on the moon?

Give me a break.

Seriously folks, is there anybody here who wouldn't be willing to fly the command module even if it meant not walking on the moon?

Bingo. It's still a heck of a lot closer to the moon than most of us are ever likely to get.

It seems the prospect of coming home alone, was not much of a consolation to him.

I've read his accounts before. I'll bet it would be more of a consolation than dying on the Moon, and his resolve to return alone if necessary confirms that.

I have a feeling you guys haven't thought this through. This is not person 200 climing mount everest and beeing happy to have tried and coming home alive.

This is one of these rare events that puts your name into popular AND sience history permanently. We humans have only one way to be immortal: remembrance. Beeing so close and giving that up at the same time is...yea well, something you never had to do right? It comes easy to discard it as "trivial". Remember what other ppl did in history to get such a status (killed, overthrown nations, ...)

Well, this guy stands for others in history that were soooo close, and as a human you can't give up more then this when your only consolation is that you helped another doing it. No, coming home alive does not recompensate for that (thats just a blue-colar feeling, if that would be the ultimate goal, why go in the first place, and we hear that sentiment often enough relating to space/extreme sports/ any risk untertaking).

No, for ppl who dare things, are willing to risk their lives to achieve incredible stuff, working years to reach a goal and THEN stepping back is a sacrifice. Nobody on that level ever starts out with "oh yea, i'm going for position 2 or 3".

Edited by TNM

Amazing how much the "Devil's Advocates" in this thread sound exactly like the interview in "From the Earth to the Moon" constantly prodding Buzz Aldrin and trying to invoke jealousy over not being the FIRST man to set foot on it.

Not everything is about recognition, you know. You think the experience alone wasn't anything? Just think about it. Being completely alone, looking down at an alien world. That's something that has only happened twice in human space history, unless I'm forgetting something and am having a complete mental hiccup.

Edited by vger

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.