Drag modeling update?

I've noticed something weird when trying to build large vessels.

Drag is calculated in a really arbitrary and weird way in KSP, to conserve computing resources. Every part has its drag value utilized, regardless of aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, and the drag value is based on mass.

The ration is 0.008 m2 kg-1, which, simply put, means that for every kilogram of mass, an object is said to have a certain amount of set drag.

I know there are various mods which better simulate the way drag is calculated, such as FAR, but I've never heard from SQUAD as to whether they were going to make a better drag model in the future.

An improved drag model would make planes fly more realistically which means that it's more difficult to build them, much less actually fly them. Rockets also become more difficult to fly, as you can only turn several degrees at a time. Because KSP calculates gravity in the same way it's done in the real world, this means that the most efficient fashion to make orbit is the same way NASA does it: in small but constant incremental course changes using computers. MechJeb does this, but causes KSP to lose some of its loveable haphazardness in both engineering and piloting.

SQUAD used to list on its wiki that it intends to eventually automate crew functions, but this has now been removed. This, interestingly enough, does not have a citation to it- which means that there's some reasonable doubt as to whether they want it or not.

The Pros

-Automated control would make realistic aerodynamics feasible

-KSP tends to get routine after awhile, as doing rendezvouses over and over feels like a grind

-Towards the endgame, this means that modules which required a lot of launches, like warp drive and interstellar implementation, would take on more of a RTS style as you use these ships to build colonies piece-by-piece

The Cons

-KSP is fun because you fly the rockets, and bad piloting is a constant source of explosions and other hilarious yet perilous situations

-The endlessly customizable KSP engineering would take on more of a constrained, modular approach: think how colonies would be built, requiring a certain ratio of habs to electrical power and other resource drain mechanics

What do you think the endgame of KSP's physics will be?

I think they've made it pretty clear more than once that if you want a more realistic atmosphere then feel free to load FAR. Kerbin isn't supposed to have an Earth like atmosphere.

And I think they've made it pretty clear that the stock atmosphere is exactly what they intended it to be, so if you want it to act like Earth atmosphere and you hold your breath waiting on them to change it you're going to be a very pretty shade of blue.

In short, Kerbin is not Earth. I personally prefer FAR, but thats the beauty of mods. My game is a little different from the devs vision, and that's ok.

I think they've made it pretty clear more than once that if you want a more realistic atmosphere then feel free to load FAR. Kerbin isn't supposed to have an Earth like atmosphere.

And I think they've made it pretty clear that the stock atmosphere is exactly what they intended it to be, so if you want it to act like Earth atmosphere and you hold your breath waiting on them to change it you're going to be a very pretty shade of blue.

In short, Kerbin is not Earth. I personally prefer FAR, but thats the beauty of mods. My game is a little different from the devs vision, and that's ok.

AFAIK Squad has actually said they want to implement better aerodynamics in the game.

Yeah they've never said that the stock atmosphere is anything but a placeholder until something better comes along.

But as of yet there is no disclosed timetable for when that model would be swapped out for another one.

While I expect they'd like to keep the simplified aero available, I think Squad are shooting themselves in the foot if they don't include something like FAR as at least a switchable option in the stock game. Ditto for at least the flight instrumentation features of Mechjeb. When a very large proportion of your fanbase regard a mod as essential, it's time to start copying.

I can easily get to orbit manually using FAR in either stock or using Real Solar System; Mechjeb or any other autopilot is not needed.

It is also not, in any way, harder to make planes or rockets under FAR (or a more realistic drag model) because the craft will behave correctly and you can use real world examples to guide you.

I agree with regex. FAR takes some getting used to, but I'd say it is neither harder nor easier than the stock atmospheric model. I've also never heard squad say they were planning on keeping the current model indefinitely, and considering the state of other aero-related things in KSP (*cough* spaceplane parts *cough*), I'd say they simply haven't gotten around to it yet.