KSP for android

MrNigerstar

Actually since Android is basically a watered down linux (I have the terminal for my Android phone) it is possible, just not probable. I am certain that squad will make an android version once KSP is complete. They use the Unity engine which has Android and OSX api and players so the port wouldn't be too hard.

I think the speed of phones would be a problem. You would need to simplify matters quite a bit to get any decent performance, not to mention interface problems.

I really do not consider KSP to be a game that can be played well on phones. Maybe some KSP Light version, but it would be a significantly different game.

arm chips aren't nearly as fast as x86. yet. they might catch up to where x86 is now, but by then x86 will be even better. unless x86 hits the wall, then arm might eventually hit the same wall. by then everyone will be obsessed with mill architecture.

i should also point out that arm has its niche in the low power portable sector, and x86 is a purely performance sector chip. se even with both processors at there theoretical pentacle, x86 is still gonna be the more powerful cpu.

Edited by Nuke

KSP on android would be a terrible idea simply because of controls. You have to control engine throttle, roll, pitch, yaw, staging, RCS and SAS; do you seriously want to try that all on a touchscreen?

arm really needs better floating point performance. a modern i7 (haswell) can do about 177 gflops. with arm you are lucky if you get 10 gflops. enjoy doing physics with that.

• 2 years later...
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2014 at 6:10 AM, Camacha said:

I think the speed of phones would be a problem. You would need to simplify matters quite a bit to get any decent performance, not to mention interface problems.

I really do not consider KSP to be a game that can be played well on phones. Maybe some KSP Light version, but it would be a significantly different game.

i am workimg on ksp pocket edition

Honestly KSP just isn't a mobile game. It's too large, too complex and too difficult to create. Even with the tools of the PC we still struggle to make our creations work; so why should something on a phone work? Not to mention, KSP will continue to expand at the same speed phones do meaning you may be able to run the current version of KSP on a phone from 5 years from now, but by then the game will have grown continuously too large for the mobile phone.

Even then; the controls would be too simple and you wouldn't get the info or response you need. Probably what would work best, is to create a standalone in flight controllers for planes, EVA-ing Kerbals or creating/viewing vessels from the SPH/VAB. Or, lastly, view your current Tech Tree/Mission Control/Tracking Station, Administration Building and so on. It should work alongside with the real KSP as again, any mobile version would be significantly inferior. Just imagine the KSP console version, but worse.

i just got doom, the first 2 descents, and q3a working on my raspberry pi 3  + touchscreen. minecraft comes stock, and i got a lead on how to get starcraft to work. i think im good. ksp would be nice but i dont think it would work with the current art set. maybe something stripped down and with simplified collision data.

now to increase battery life, implement online charging, and add a sound system to the 3d printed case and im good. maybe some thumbsticks. parts in the mail.

Edited by Nuke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.