Thanks for the part, Gene! I ain't gonna test it though... =3

Col_Jessep

I got a nice contract to test the RAPIER engine. Already fulfilled all requirements but did not run the test. Why? Because having access to the RAPIER saves me a lot of science and I can use a really cheap (I can easily recover all the parts near KSC) and lazy design to pick up Kerbals in orbit:

8fLuofEl.png

What's better than somebody giving you stuff for free?

Not to mention that the RAPIER would be a great asset for small to medium-sized lifters. I just accepted another contract for the Toroidal Aerospike. Both of them will get me 400 science so I might do that soonish, get the roots, science and reputation but for now... :cool:

What parts do you use extensively before you turn in the contract?

Planning to use the Kerbodyne 4-engine cluster contract to put up a few nuclear engine modules in orbit (also an experimental part). I have to test that in Kerbin orbit, so I want to get some good use out of it. I tend to test them when I send them up, but I'm planning to use those drive units modularly for future interplanetary missions.

Edited by Concentric

You could feasibly unlock a lot of the tech tree temporarily with contracts like that. Sure, you have to finish them eventually before they get removed from your parts list, but the time you're given is absurdly generous. I'd say it would let you master the tech tree faster, but it's already perfectly feasible to max the tech tree in two launches even with Funds in play, so yeah. Mostly it's just really convenient.

Yeah, the time you're allowed to have those test parts is way too long, and I think it ruins the fun of unlocking parts in the tech tree.

I don't really try to use test parts extensively because of this.

I could see that you get a certain number of parts to test. Say 4 rocket engines, 2 jets, 8 decouplers, 4 wings, 16 winglets... and you only get them back if you recover the prototype parts. This would make it even more important not to accidentally crash a plane or lander. Might have the only engine of that type on it that you have left...

It's a very fine thing to have a part that's a step or two ahead in the tech tree, that's for sure!

Edited by Col_Jessep

The difficulty would largely depend on the cost of the tech nodes. If early access is a main part of the game, the tech tree would become more expensive. So where you have unlimited access now you would only get a few prototypes instead.

Heh, this seems like a bit of an exploit to me. I would prefer the part test contracts just come with a limited "one time only" use. If you fail, you lose money AND rep.

Even this doesn't take into consideration if you build a reusable rocket with the experimental part and simply park it next to the launch pad for later refueling/use. Would never need to complete the contract, and even if it expires what're they gonna do? Come collecting the part?

Well I guess my recommendation would be yeah, have them tear the part off your parked rocket and dock you funds/rep.

I was about to write a thread on this "buying parts on Finance". I kinda like it, just simply cos its a different approach.

So I take contracts for things like the TurboJet engine and the LV-N and as I have over a year to complete the contract, I have no plans to do the contact anytime soon. Instead I'm slapping LV-Ns onto loads of things and sending them off to the far reaches. Buy the time the LV-N contract is due, those investments will have matured and I'll be able to afford the sci-points to buy it propperly.

The more I think about it the more I like it. It provides a non-linear and slightly unpredictable approach to the tech tree. With each career you won't get the same contracts in the same order, I've been lucky this time and got an LV-N contract very early on, maybe on a different career that option won't popup quite so soon so I'll hvae to re-think. It means that I'm less likely to do the same standard "quick-get-my-tree-unlocked" missions in each career.

[edit] WOOOT! 1000th post! [/edit]

I don't usually do that, I consider it cheating.

Plus it's extremely easy to stack up on science with contracts.

I've nearly completed the whole tech tree just 4 days after 0.24 was release, by going no farther than the mun.

I was tempted to keep the LV-N indefinitely for interplanetary missions after I got an early contract to test it. However, I unlocked it via the tech tree before using it on any of my rockets since I felt it would be a bit exploitative otherwise. :)

What would you think to have a limited Number of parts, instead of a limited testing time?

This suggestion above --

I'm pretty sure that it was said in a squadcast or something that that was how it was going to be... I guess they changed their mind.

-- is this.

People may recall from older versions of KSP (before the part inventory UI change), there was this:

022-Stock.jpg

Squad did indeed say you'd have a limited number, and I was certain it was going to involve that inventory system.

I know they don't want randomness in the game, but I'd love if every time you use a part you've not unlocked from the tech tree, there's a small chance it exploded. Then you still get the credit for the contract but can't use the parts.

Well, you CAN. If you're a gambling man.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.