Lost my rocket, it was totally worth it.

Mayday

Ok, so I didn't know if this was the most fitting prefix for this post but I'm sure it's fine.

So I just got back home from the park! I left the house with two model rockets(one was my younger brothers) and came back with none.

I had an Estes Alpha III rocket that I had already launched a few times, so i decided it was time for something bigger than an A8-3 engine.

Well I go down to the hobby store and pick up a pack of C6-5 engines and go on my merry way.

Now we get to the park and I let my brother launch first, he does.. Right when it came off the launch pad it left a trail of smoke and disappeared(It took no more than 1 second for us to completely lose track of it), ....ing awesome right. So we search for I'd say about 40 minutes with no luck, now i decide to launch my rocket because I am determined to show my brother who's the better rocket builder. I launch my rocket and SWOOSH, it climbs to the sky at a slight angle right above my head and then cuts to the left until it's almost out of sight. AT LEAST I CAN STILL SEE IT:sticktongue:

Wait for it... Wait for it.. aaanndd POP! The parachute deploys(I'm always afraid it won't).

So I'm watching it go down and it literally disappeared RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY EYES, Just staring right at it and then all of a sudden, GONE!

The rocket must have been alot farther away than it looked.

I know it had to have landed in someones yard because it was in the direction of most of the houses in my neighborhood.

Now I have a "Lost Rocket" post on facebook and still not a single regret.

Worth it.

A few years ago I launched an Alpha-3 with a C6-5. I lost it, but not because I couldn't find it: the parachute charge exploded the rocket body.

I'm always afraid of stuff like that happening. Also, my rocket was found by someone on facebook about half a mile away from where I launched! My brothers was not found.

Are C6-x Rockets considered large in Pre-made motors? My only experience with rockets is KSP and a few videos from real life and a couple model rockets I got for my birthday. One day I decided i would make my own rocket and I figured an Airhogs Titan glider would be a good body. I went out and I wasn't really up to date with the rocket sizing and grabbed a pack with the highest letter and number. Some tape and wires later I launched a rocket with two c6-5s on it. I had always figured they were still pretty small. One of the model rockets I got was actually an Alpha 3 and I've recovered it a few times after launching it from an acreage. I enjoy the stuff you can buy and throw together in a few hours but I don't think any will come close to modifying a 10$ foam plane into a rocket that flies over 300m powered.

I believe that locally you are obliged to put your name and address on your rocket when launching it. That way you can track it when it is lost, or you can be tracked when you damage something.

I ran a few rocketry classes earlier this summer, graduates flew their rockets at the end and received astronaut pins from me.

Only two rockets got lost; they flew too high and got blown into tall trees. Which were they? Both were Alpha IIIs. Man, do these fly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.