Not New To The Forums or KSP But thought I'd say Hi

Commander Jebidiah

Ive been on the forums for about 10 months and ive been playing KSP for about 13 months.

So I'm Not new at either but I never actually said hello.

So... Hello, I guess.

Here's a bit about me.

I'm Scottish, I only have 6 close friends, I like physics, Astronomy, KSP, Skyrim, Mine Craft, Computer Aided design and Technical Drawings.

I used to play KSP extremely modded but ive scince managed to play stock with the exception of RT2, TAC LS, EVE and texture Replacer.

This brings me on to my first official Question.

Would it beallowed for me to change nearly every part in the games ISP, Mass, Cost, etc. And then distribute it in a mod giving credit to Squad for the parts etc?

Thanks In Advance

Commander Jebidiah

P.S. My Dad Set up my account so thats why Jeb's name is wrong.

Edited by Commander Jebidiah

I'm not sure about wether what you're saying is allowed, however, have a look here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219

Its a special mod, or well, its an API, called Modulemanager. Its use is fairly widespread, and many major mods rely on it for compatibility with ther other mods, as you might have noticed while using said mods. It allows you to edit other parts at runtime, allowing you to change all kinds of properties for differente existing parts without needing to overwrite Squad's actual files.

This way you can make changes to the way other parts, stock and mod alike, behave, as long as you know how they are actually configured, without:

1. Making users go to the hassle of finding bits everywhere and, for example, replacing every part.cfg, instead allowing them to just post your mod in GameData and be done with it.

2. Kinda blends in with 1, it makes that your mod is easily installable and removable. Each part has its own part.cfg in a seperate folder, so if you replaced all those, getting the originals back without a full, clean install could be a pretty big hassle if not properly prepared. This way, people can easily place and remove your mod without altering anything related to the base game.

3. Make your mod change or combine with stock parts or other mods' parts, without having to redistribute any copyrighted content

Edited by Spyritdragon

ModuleManager doesn't have any requirements beyond a text editor (aka Notepad). So, all's you would need to distribute is ModuleManager and your own configuration file (which is allowed) as opposed to distributing all of Squad's parts (likely not allowed)

The redistributing would have minor changes like realistic isp, thrust, cost, mass.

Also I would give credit to squad for everything I haven't changed and could a mod move this to a more appropriate sub-forum.

Edited by Commander Jebidiah

The redistributing would have minor changes like realistic isp, thrust, cost, mass.

Also I would give credit to squad for everything I haven't changed and could a mod move this to a more appropriate sub-forum.

As said above, this is likely not allowed. Generally, distributing copyrighted material isn't allowed, wether or not you provide credit to the original author. You can always change them for yourself, but you aren't really allowed to redistribute entire part files mostly made by Squad. And as i mentioned above, you'll run into other problems, too.

But, to be honest, this is exactly what ModuleManager was made for. I don't really get what you mean by 'what program i need to use for it to work'. You just write your mod, using the ModuleManager API, then provide the ModuleManager files along with your mod (You can do this without problem since ModuleManager is Creative Commons, as far as i know), and then people can install your mod like any other mod and use KSP to run it :-). All you need is KSP and, at the basic level, a text editor, like notepad :-). So why redistribute Squads copyrighted content, when you can use this? It increases compatibility, too.