Project Blackfish: a huge VentureStar-like SSTO ship w/ custom plugin. Help wanted.

Oicani

Hey there.

Project Blackfish is a project started by CardboardBoxProcessor (cBBp, of Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau and Dragon Rider fame) to produce the Sunfish SSTO shuttle.

The Sunfish is heavily inspired in the VentureStar proposed single-stage-to-orbit reusable launch system and its prototype, the X-33. The Blackfish project's goal is being able to carry a full stock orange fuel tank to LKO.

Current implemented and working features include:

• The whole ship is a single part. No assembling, no PhysX lag

• A whole ton of custom animations

• Custom flaps

• Custom re-entry flaps; their lift gets turned off when not in use since they are streamlined to the body in that state

• Custom animated, powered and steerable landing gear and modified suspension system

• Spacious payload bay with animated doors

• Streamlined docking port with animated doors

• Custom aerospike engine based on the X-33's (fun fact! the whole engine was modeled, including the stuff inside the body of the sunfish! it has since been scrapped for performance reasons :()

We are currently looking for help with polishing, finishing and further developing this project. If you're a KSP modder with experience in plugin programming and/or part editing (eg cfg files) shoot me a PM. The project is currently not open to everyone, but it is planned if the community shows interest in the project.

Media:

These pictures in particular are from earlier versions of the Sunfish, so some changes are to be expected.

6ae3344608.jpg

21391d34a2.jpg

And here's a silly video with the latest development version of the Sunfish:

(sorry in advance for the lots of annoying mistakes - had to make the video in a rush and only noticed them a good while after the point of no return :( )

----------------------------------------------------

Source files:

Here's all the files related to this project. If you are interested in helping or just using it yourself as it is (not recommended!) go nuts.

License: do whatever you want as long as you give credit (to cBBp especially)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1417259/Project%20Blackfish%20stuff%20for%20public.rar

If you could keep discussion, updates or any development in this thread it would be nice, but not at all necessary.

Edited by Oicani

Probably because he's trying to combine too many parts into a single one, which is bound to cause problems. There's nothing in the feature list that would require a plugin besides the flaps, which can be done using Firespitter plugin just fine.

I'd request just one thing. At least split off the aerodynamic surfaces (wings and control surfaces). If you won't do that, there's no hope of your ship ever working with FAR.

Probably because he's trying to combine too many parts into a single one, which is bound to cause problems. There's nothing in the feature list that would require a plugin besides the flaps, which can be done using Firespitter plugin just fine.

I'd request just one thing. At least split off the aerodynamic surfaces (wings and control surfaces). If you won't do that, there's no hope of your ship ever working with FAR.

the current revision is compatible with far

"The project is currently not open to everyone, but it is planned if the community shows interest in the project."

I really hope you will make a public release for this project, because i fall il love with it.... i want it docked on my station:cool:

I'm a huge fan of near-future designs, even if they've been scrapped. I would definitely like to try flying one of these. You should release it.

but...

I agree with Dragon01. I would prefer the wings and vertical stabilisers to be separate. Also the nose looks like it might be useful on it's own if it's cross section is of standard with.

From memory cBBp wrote the plugin to allow features like emissive animation and FX on the integrated RCS ports

and since then there's a whole lot more, like the flaps and the dynamic lift simulation stuff

This is a beauty! I do so want to replace the KSO with this- I don't really like the shuttle even if this has far less payload capability.

Edit: Checking that, that's a goddamned red tank. Looks like around half the cargo bay would be filled by it. This is a behemoth, and I still love it. (Any word on whether 3 km ships can actually exist without much lag if it's 2 parts?)

Edited by Tangle

Cant wait to download it then put in my kerbal spase mods folder on my external hard drive and do not touch it anymore as it always happens))))) Actually great work and i agree with previous comments - could be better numerous parts not one - wings, nose etc.

This is a beauty! I do so want to replace the KSO with this- I don't really like the shuttle even if this has far less payload capability.

Edit: Checking that, that's a goddamned red tank. Looks like around half the cargo bay would be filled by it. This is a behemoth, and I still love it. (Any word on whether 3 km ships can actually exist without much lag if it's 2 parts?)

As big as this is it's not even close to being a 3km ship! The payload bay is a bit bigger than an orange tank.

and since then there's a whole lot more, like the flaps and the dynamic lift simulation stuff

You can use Firespitter and/or FAR, but you will have to split the wings off and have them as separate models. Those mods provide just what you want, but need parts set up in a specific way. In general, single-part ships are bad idea in KSP. Many of your problems would likely vanish if you cut the ship up a bit.

I was never interested in the little shuttle mod, but this looks very interesting. And it's already FAR compatible, you say? :)

No, it's not. In fact, it's impossible to make it FAR-compatible as it is (this is true for any single-part ship). It needs to have it's aerodynamic surfaces separated from the main body for FAR wing calculations to work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.