I'm afraid to launch my rocket

RocketBlam

I've been playing since .23. Usually I could launch any rocket, without concern. Now that contracts are in place (and I have disabled the "revert to" commands), I am under more pressure.

Now I've created a rocket that is so huge, of such massive hugosity, of such incredible Massivelyness, that I am actually afraid to launch it. What if something goes wrong?

It won't bankrupt me to lose this launch, even as big as it is, but.... it would hurt.

It's not a money thing, I don't think... I'm just really afraid that this monster will not fly.

I've been playing since .23. Usually I could launch any rocket, without concern. Now that contracts are in place (and I have disabled the "revert to" commands), I am under more pressure.

Now I've created a rocket that is so huge, of such massive hugosity, of such incredible Massivelyness, that I am actually afraid to launch it. What if something goes wrong?

It won't bankrupt me to lose this launch, even as big as it is, but.... it would hurt.

It's not a money thing, I don't think... I'm just really afraid that this monster will not fly.

Create craft in career

Save it

Copy/Paste the craft file from your career save folder into your sandbox save folder

Test in sandbox till comfortable..

Since you have disabled the revert to VAB, test in Sandbox as styckx has suggested. I did so to design a cheap SRB launcher for testing the TR-2V and LV-1 at Kerbal escape velocity. The design, a three stage probe rocket of five SRBs arranged as three full power, one full power, and the top stage at 50% power. The LV-1 had a note that says you have to select it to test while at escape. Just the Stayputnik SAS was sufficient stability for a straight up to escape flight. Not the most efficient, but the most cost effective for a no return mission.

As many have said before, remember, there's always the revert button.

I felt like you at one point, too. In my first career mun landing i spent almost 80% of my budget on a mun rocket (i didn't have that much money). But i just persevered and made it work, albeit with at least a dozen reverts. :)

Even if you don't want to use revert, just go for it. Maybe you could over engineer it even more so that you feel more confident that it can do what it needs to. :)

Experience and a proper TWR/dV breakdown are both great teachers for if a rocket is going to cut it or not. There's no mods for the former (for obvious reasons), but you can get a less takes-forever-and-a-day-to-hand-calculate solution to the latter with Kerbal Engineer Redux. It really does make a world of difference, actually knowing how far you can go and how well your rocket is going to perform in a given gravitational environment.

Tell the Kerbal public that the new big fancy and expensive rocket you designed can no longer be launched do to the lack of Krussian engines. Then make a proposal for a new "Safer" (something you feel better about launching) using 100% local parts!

As many have said before, remember, there's always the revert button.

I felt like you at one point, too. In my first career mun landing i spent almost 80% of my budget on a mun rocket (i didn't have that much money). But i just persevered and made it work, albeit with at least a dozen reverts. :)

Even if you don't want to use revert, just go for it. Maybe you could over engineer it even more so that you feel more confident that it can do what it needs to. :)

No, no there isn't the Revert Button - he disabled it, and is playing Hard-core mode. Revert to Launch/VAB isn't even presented as an option. Just BOOM ... recover, and hope for the best. One of my hard-core launches went badly due to a stating problem.

This isn't a game for pansies, for wimps. THIS IS A GAME FOR MEN! Look in your cockpit. LOOK IN IT! Look at Jebediah, is he afraid of the vast unknown, is he afraid to leave the *playground*? NO! He is putting his life on the line, and the only thing stopping him from strapping his arse on a 500 ton MISSILE OF DEATH is your...reluctance to let him live his dreams! You talk about the Kerbal Way? YOU KNOW NOTHING OF THE KERBAL WAY! You are a disgrace to those you claim to serve! DO you think the Nemesis was built out of safety and fear? NO, it took dozens of failed launches and hundreds of dead space marines to get it right! YOU ARE BUT *FINGERS* FROM *BELOW*, YET YOU FAIL TO LAUNCH EVEN THE MOST BASIC ROCKET! IF YOU CAN'T MAN UP ENOUGH TO LAUNCH THAT SHIP, I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN IN THESE FORUMS! What are you, Spathi?

If money would matter for you - stock game isn't ready for this sort of gameplay. There's just too few information to play like that (you even don't know DeltaV!)

If you don't care about money - just launch. It's as simple as that.

Just press the launch buton.

For us oldies who played KSP before there was a revert button, it was find out your carefully crafted ship did indeed have a major design flaw, and it showed

itself at 22 546m up while doing 700m/sec when the G load went beyond 2.879, if you were lucky the crew capsule would make it out of the fireball :cool:, if you were

unlucky it would make it out of the fireball without parachutes ;.;

Boris

This isn't a game for pansies, for wimps. THIS IS A GAME FOR MEN! Look in your cockpit. LOOK IN IT! Look at Jebediah, is he afraid of the vast unknown, is he afraid to leave the *playground*? NO! He is putting his life on the line, and the only thing stopping him from strapping his arse on a 500 ton MISSILE OF DEATH is your...reluctance to let him live his dreams! You talk about the Kerbal Way? YOU KNOW NOTHING OF THE KERBAL WAY! You are a disgrace to those you claim to serve! DO you think the Nemesis was built out of safety and fear? NO, it took dozens of failed launches and hundreds of dead space marines to get it right! YOU ARE BUT *FINGERS* FROM *BELOW*, YET YOU FAIL TO LAUNCH EVEN THE MOST BASIC ROCKET! IF YOU CAN'T MAN UP ENOUGH TO LAUNCH THAT SHIP, I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN IN THESE FORUMS! What are you, Spathi?

This reminds me, I must build an Eluder in KSP. Then go out and park it on Eeloo.

Do what i do. Verify the staging, verify the DeltaV stats, do a visual inspection on the whole rocket and make sure you don't forget anything, run through a simulation of the whole launch in your head, and even go as far as put it on the launchpad and fire the engines without releasing the clamps to test it. Then recover.

And make sure the right crew is on there.

I've been playing this game with no quicksave, no quickload, and no reverts for quite some time. That nervous feeling you've got? I've used it as a reason to strap on a few of those trash-bins full-o'-boom and a few more struts where I think weak points are, double-check my staging one last time, and then hit launch. Max your throttle, enable SAS, give yourself a count backwards from 10, and squish the staging key for all it's worth.

If you're really worried for your crew, set up a simple abort stage on an easily-reachable action group key. Decouple your uppermost stage, fire that engine, push you away from your debris. Get to a safe zone, dump your engine and pull your chutes. Just remember that at the first sign of stuff going boom, you NEED to hit that button. Keep your throttle up, smash that key, and ride off into the sunset, and remember to look at your cool explosions. After all, you paid for those fireworks.

In other words: If you're worried about losing Kerbals, set up proper ejection sequences.

Abort procedure? Once I've had to abort an ascending, due to fuel issues (in particular, forget fuel lines :D), and I managed to safely recover the whole rocket. I had not a procedure for that, everithing was improvisation.

So if I did it, why you not? Just strap chutes on every section and eventually a crew escape mechanism!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.