The Great Controversy

DuoDex

But the initial distribution *is* generally within a mod folder, instead of in its own folder (compare to how, say, Firespitter is distributed, which is in a separate Firespitter folder under GameData, making it easier to find all copies).

Well, that's something you have to discuss with the ones who are redistributing it. I am not, and if I was, I would give it its own folder, so I can't answer about this.

It isn't - modstatistics could very well have its own directory in game data. In fact, it does: after the first run it will create its own folder and always run from there.

So the million dollar question, why was it bundled in other mods gamedata directories in the first place? The only reason I can think of is to deceptive/hide from the users, which are hostile actions and helped contribute to this fiasco.

So the million dollar question, why was it bundled in other mods gamedata directories in the first place? The only reason I can think of is to deceptive/hide from the users, which are hostile actions and helped contribute to this fiasco.

Personally, I think it's because it can be distributed like this. Module Manager, for example, causes issues if you have multiple copies, while mod statistics doesn't: therefore there is no need to put it outside the main folder.

That being said: I really don't see why I should defend a mod I don't even approve myself. While all you guys get a grip about this mess, I'll be at the beach. C ya.

Personally, I think it's because it can be distributed like this. Module Manager, for example, causes issues if you have multiple copies, while mod statistics doesn't: therefore there is no need to put it outside the main folder.

That being said: I really don't see why I should defend a mod I don't even approve myself. While all you guys get a grip about this mess, I'll be at the beach. C ya.

Modulemanager, while not as sophisticated as compatibilitychecker, does implement code to ensure only a single instance is running so it doesn't cause issues.

Why is it even necessary to have multiple copies of Modstatistics outside of its own gamedata directory? What makes it so much more of a special snowflake than firespitter or modmanager which are distributed in the gamedata root, or their own gamedata folder?

I believe this is intended to prevent unintentional downgrades when the user installs a mod with an older version of ModStatistics, which is a flaw which is present in Firespitter, though bypassed by MM using a different file name per version (which has its own flaws (requiring user intervention to curate installed versions)).

I believe this is intended to prevent unintentional downgrades when the user installs a mod with an older version of ModStatistics, which is a flaw which is present in Firespitter, though bypassed by MM using a different file name per version (which has its own flaws (requiring user intervention to curate installed versions)).

Adopting the compatibilitychecker style version check would solve that problem, and allow for all DLLs to be in the same location (making it easy for the user to manage). I believe that code's available under BSD 2-clause.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.