[1.8.x - 1.12.x] Soviet Probes & Soviet Rockets - R7/N1/Soyuz/Proton/Zenit/Dnepr/Kosmos/Tsiklon - 7-24-21

raidernick

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

first of all thank you for a beautiful mod. I love the R7!!!

I have been using the mod for a while now (KSP version 1.2.2) and I realized that there is an issue with the Fregat module. It works as it should (thust and fuel is there RCS works as well). It just does not make any sounds nor are there any exhaust plumes for the main engine (the ones for the RCS are there).

I am using a ton of mods, Among others RealPlume and Realism Overhaul.

Does anyone have an idea where I might start looking for a fix for this?

• 3 weeks later...

Soviet Probes RELEASE v2.4 for KSP 1.2.2, 1.3.x

Changelog:

• Update for KSP 1.2.2/1.3.x release
  • Remove dependencies which are now stored in a different file. Dropbox links are available in forum OP or readme here.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/SovietProbes/releases/tag/v2.4

Removed the 1.3 releases due to bugs in plugins causing crashes. Dependencies have been removed from all of my mods now. You now download them as a separate package. These links are listed in the OP or below.

Dependencies_KSP_v1.2.x OR Dependencies_KSP_v1.3.x

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soviet Rockets RELEASE v2.6 for KSP 1.2.2, 1.3.x

Changelog:

• Update for KSP 1.2.2/1.3.x release
  • Remove dependencies which are now stored in a different file. Dropbox links are available in forum OP or readme here.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/SovietRockets/releases/tag/v2.6

Removed the 1.3 releases due to bugs in plugins causing crashes. Dependencies have been removed from all of my mods now. You now download them as a separate package. These links are listed in the OP or below.

Dependencies_KSP_v1.2.x OR Dependencies_KSP_v1.3.x

• 1 month later...

Quick Question ? erm how do i get the Solarpanels to open ?

i've downloaded everything including the Dependencies

When i right click on the panels , theres nothing ?

KSP ver 1.3

Also tried Action Groups , also nothing , i'm confused lol .

worked perfectly in previous installs .

• 5 weeks later...

Awesome!

I was looking to re-create the Soviet side of the moon race and this mod is great for that.
Such great looking models!

I only had to tweak the configs a bit since I'm running a quarter size real solar system and this mod seems to be configured/tweaked for a stock size system?... hence an R7 with only sputnik 1 could not achieve orbit in my setup :-)

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU.

• 3 months later...

This mod brutally crashes a test install I made just to isolate the failure here. I have a gonzo huge modpack that also crashes with this. I wanted to check out your space stations and it seems that your rockets pack are required to view the prefabs... (yeah, kerbal needs a better way of designating things as launchers or payloads...). But when I installed this, the pack died. On my test install, i have virtually no parts mods except mechjeb and only a few quality of life mods, I'm sure I have version 2.6 of just the "soviet rockets" mod.

Mod manager is 3.01, 

The failure is a hard abort during game loading. There is no interesting information in the logs, it just ends. using 64 bit build, texture replacer hasn't been updated since 1.1 and doesn't work as far as I know.

Game version is 64 bit on Linux. 

I seem to be having an issue with the Proton and Soyuz rockets. As i usually do (and probably most people) at the 10km mark my gimble should be a 45 degrees, however whenever i try to get to that point, the Proton just flips end over end and the R7, after decoupling the boosters, keeps yawing left and right and i have to try and spin stabilise the rocket which doesn't work. Is this a problem with the rocket or am i doing something wrong?

2 hours ago, ChickenBot448 said:

I seem to be having an issue with the Proton and Soyuz rockets. As i usually do (and probably most people) at the 10km mark my gimble should be a 45 degrees, however whenever i try to get to that point, the Proton just flips end over end and the R7, after decoupling the boosters, keeps yawing left and right and i have to try and spin stabilise the rocket which doesn't work. Is this a problem with the rocket or am i doing something wrong?

Launch either manually(trial and error) or use “gravity turn” mod. Mechjeb gives me hell on this mod, have had no issues using gravity turn.

Edited by wm1248

7 minutes ago, wm1248 said:

Launch either manually(trial and error) or use “gravity turn” mod. Mechjeb gives me hell on this mod, have had no issues using gravity turn.

The this is, i'm not using Mechjeb, i'm just flying it manually, although it only seems to be affecting the Almaz station and the Soyuz

10 hours ago, ChickenBot448 said:

The this is, i'm not using Mechjeb, i'm just flying it manually, although it only seems to be affecting the Almaz station and the Soyuz

There’s no one right time to start a gravity turn, it varies based on rocket design, weight and payload size and weight. If you don’t have enough speed when you your gravity turn, it’ll flip out of control. Took me a long to understand this. Gravity turn mod is very nice as it makes a guess based on game physics, rocket design, weight and payload dimensions. It’s very worth while to check it out, as it saves a lot of guess work and reverts to figure it out.

23 hours ago, ChickenBot448 said:

If you read the part description of the verniers it says: Attach in 2x symmetry. So the way they are set up is as in real life: The Verniers don't allow for 360° gimballing, they are set up for their respective position at the booster.
I know that two sides of the core need to have the vernier "flipped" by Q or E in the VAB prior to attaching. The easiest way to determine which one to attach in what way (if you don't use the craft files) is to build a Soyuz, attach your engines and verniers and put them on clamps. Stage your engine but don't throttle up and don't release the clamps, zoom in on under your rocket and check their gimballing directions, take note of that and revert to the VAB and correct the wrong ones.

yecvQZZ.pngI was calculating the Proton's payload performance and decided to plot the results, so the community can use it. You can approximate the available delta v for a given payload (or the payload available for a given mission profile).

It show the results for 4 versions:

• UR 500; just the first stage as a sad 'SSTO'
  • 8K82; two stage version used early in the Proton development.
  • 8K82K; three stage version, used to launch the Salyut space stations, aka Proton-K
  • 8K82K-D, four stage version with Blok-D upper stage, used to launch the Zond spacecraft.

The calculations where made using conservative assumptions in order to leave a delta v margin for corrections and final orbit tuning.

Edited by Marcelo Silveira

21 hours ago, Marcelo Silveira said:

yecvQZZ.pngI was calculating the Proton's payload performance and decided to plot the results, so the community can use it. You can approximate the available delta v for a given payload (or the payload available for a given mission profile).

It show the results for 4 versions:

• UR 500; just the first stage as a sad 'SSTO'
  • 8K82; two stage version used early in the Proton development.
  • 8K82K; three stage version, used to launch the Salyut space stations, aka Proton-K
  • 8K82K-D, four stage version with Blok-D upper stage, used to launch the Zond spacecraft.

The calculations where made using conservative assumptions in order to leave a delta v margin for corrections and final orbit tuning.

r/theydidthemath

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.