[1.8.x - 1.12.x] Soviet Probes & Soviet Rockets - R7/N1/Soyuz/Proton/Zenit/Dnepr/Kosmos/Tsiklon - 7-24-21

raidernick

There does appear to be some confusion due to the number of mods by raidernick as there is some overlapping of parts, especially with the ferries pack.  When installing from CKAN, I did notice the exact problem that Jeb-head-mug-kerman experienced with regard to the under-powered booster and core stages.  It absolutely wasn't a matter of "doing it wrong", the TWR on kerbin was something like 0.6.  Also, the problem that wm1248 indicated was also present; the verniers weren't really working... the craft was stable while the boosters were attached, but only due to KSP applying differential thrusting to stabilize the craft.  As soon as the boosters were detached, the non-vectoring core engine was woefully incapable of maintaining stability.  

Both issues were corrected by burning down my entire KSP install and reinstalling from scratch.  I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the mods from CKAN, even after clearing cache, but it did not resolve the problem.   Unfortunately I didn't look into the problem too much to discover root cause.  I did, however, keep my old install by renaming the folder, so I can definitely look through the files and compare to find out WTF actually happened.   Also, curiously, I could no longer get the deploy/undeploy antennas or other dialogs while in space or within the VAB... so something serious must have happened to my installation.

The only real problem I have now is with the Vostok/Voskhod descent modules.   The ablator settings appear to be incorrect as the descent module will overheat regardless of the angle of entry.  I tested using a stock install of KSP with only raidernick's mods and the required dependencies installed.  I created a save using the Vostok configuration, created a save after creating a circularized 75km orbit, and tried a grand total of 40 different re-entry angles, all with the same outcome.  At shallow angles, the atmosphere seems to provide almost no braking force, but the heating is cumulative and eventually destroys the craft even when it is being subjected to less than 0.1G of deceleration.  :/   At steeper angles, the craft will plunge to about 40km and overheat well before G forces ever become dangerous to the kerbal within.  

I have made changes to my installation to deal with this, and it seems to be working more realistically.  The values that I am using are:

lossExp = -6000				[unchanged]
lossConst = 0.21			[changed from 0.007]
pyrolysisLossFactor = 20000	[doubled]
ablationTempThresh = 500	[unchanged]
reentryConductivity = 0.01	[unchanged]

I'm suspecting that maybe these parts were designed to be used with Realism Overhaul and are thus failing in stock KSP solar system.  I'll look into my old save if you'd like, but currently I am busy converting this mod to 1.1 since I enjoy it so much and I really can't go back to 1.0.5 after getting a taste of how well 1.1 runs...

Edited by zenmetsu

@zenmetsu Feel free to make a PR on the github repo so I can include your changes for 1.1. I've already fixed a bunch of things to convert my stuff to 1.1 but I am not releasing it until 1.1 really comes out.

On a side note, the verniers DO work but the effects for them are invisible. This was done because I was getting complaints from people about particle FX lag from them. This was back in .23 and I don't know if it's still the case, feel free to add that change back to the PR.

And yes my stuff is made for RO/RSS only, I don't use stock at all so the stock configs for the parts I threw together in a couple seconds from existing parts and stuff may or may not work but so far nobody has ever volunteered to fix them. I get the occasional nibble but people usually end up disappearing and not helping at all, then new people come and complain without offering anything. It doesn't make me want to help them.

Edited by raidernick

Thanks for the excellent mod, BTW, I really didn't want to come off sounding like a complainer on my last post.

I haven't been using RSS/RO recently, mainly because I want to explore the stock solar system and find easter eggs, etc.  Strangely enough, after doing the reinstall, your mod worked pretty well on the stock solar system.  The parts had just enough fuel and resources to get into orbit.  The issue with the vernier engines only happened prior to my reinstall, and it wasn't that there were not effects, it was simply the case that there was no force being applied at all.  Importing the exact same .craft file after doing a full reinstall, the problem was gone.  So something is likely odd with the way CKAN is pulling/installing the mods.

I'll make a pull request once I get a feel for what Squad broke (fixed) in 1.1.0-preview.  A fair number of the parts in your mod appear to be working, but some parts, such as the Vostok decoupler, Vostok service module, and the R7 core/booster engines don't appear to be recognized by the game as functional parts.  I get the animations as if the engines/RCS/decouplers are firing constantly while in the VAB, but the part is never shown on the staging menu on the right o_O)a     I've tried to find out what is amiss by looking at the config files, but I'm pretty close to tossing in the towel.  Also, none of the FSanimations appear to be working despite having the newest FireSpitter mod.  No antenna/radiator/etc options in the right-click menu.  

22 hours ago, zenmetsu said:

There does appear to be some confusion due to the number of mods by raidernick as there is some overlapping of parts, especially with the ferries pack.  When installing from CKAN, I did notice the exact problem that Jeb-head-mug-kerman experienced with regard to the under-powered booster and core stages.  It absolutely wasn't a matter of "doing it wrong", the TWR on kerbin was something like 0.6.  Also, the problem that wm1248 indicated was also present; the verniers weren't really working... the craft was stable while the boosters were attached, but only due to KSP applying differential thrusting to stabilize the craft.  As soon as the boosters were detached, the non-vectoring core engine was woefully incapable of maintaining stability.  

Both issues were corrected by burning down my entire KSP install and reinstalling from scratch.  I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the mods from CKAN, even after clearing cache, but it did not resolve the problem.   Unfortunately I didn't look into the problem too much to discover root cause.  I did, however, keep my old install by renaming the folder, so I can definitely look through the files and compare to find out WTF actually happened.   Also, curiously, I could no longer get the deploy/undeploy antennas or other dialogs while in space or within the VAB... so something serious must have happened to my installation.

The only real problem I have now is with the Vostok/Voskhod descent modules.   The ablator settings appear to be incorrect as the descent module will overheat regardless of the angle of entry.  I tested using a stock install of KSP with only raidernick's mods and the required dependencies installed.  I created a save using the Vostok configuration, created a save after creating a circularized 75km orbit, and tried a grand total of 40 different re-entry angles, all with the same outcome.  At shallow angles, the atmosphere seems to provide almost no braking force, but the heating is cumulative and eventually destroys the craft even when it is being subjected to less than 0.1G of deceleration.  :/   At steeper angles, the craft will plunge to about 40km and overheat well before G forces ever become dangerous to the kerbal within.  

I have made changes to my installation to deal with this, and it seems to be working more realistically.  The values that I am using are:

lossExp = -6000				[unchanged]
lossConst = 0.21			[changed from 0.007]
pyrolysisLossFactor = 20000	[doubled]
ablationTempThresh = 500	[unchanged]
reentryConductivity = 0.01	[unchanged]

I'm suspecting that maybe these parts were designed to be used with Realism Overhaul and are thus failing in stock KSP solar system.  I'll look into my old save if you'd like, but currently I am busy converting this mod to 1.1 since I enjoy it so much and I really can't go back to 1.0.5 after getting a taste of how well 1.1 runs...

Thank you! I was a pounding my head on the desk as I poured over all of the config files looking for possible answers. A few days ago, I uninstalled everything through ckan and reinstalled manually, as well with FAR installed manually. All is working thus far. I am no longer using ckan, as everything seems to be working better now. Wondering if it's because I'm running it through mono, I'm on OSX. Realism overhaul and real solar system really screw my game up no matter how it's installed. One issue still perplexing me, since removing RSS/RO, my spacecraft every so often will randomly explode to overheating.

13 hours ago, wm1248 said:

Thank you! I was a pounding my head on the desk as I poured over all of the config files looking for possible answers. A few days ago, I uninstalled everything through ckan and reinstalled manually, as well with FAR installed manually. All is working thus far. I am no longer using ckan, as everything seems to be working better now. Wondering if it's because I'm running it through mono, I'm on OSX. Realism overhaul and real solar system really screw my game up no matter how it's installed. One issue still perplexing me, since removing RSS/RO, my spacecraft every so often will randomly explode to overheating.

I don't understand how installing from ckan can possibly be affecting the engines at all. They all use the stock modules. If ckan was not installing the config files the engines would not be in the game at all. It can't "half" install a file and still have it show up, it just wouldn't be there. I looked at the ckan install script and there is nothing obviously wrong with it. I am going to have the ckan people take a look at it as well but I don't really expect them to find anything. If you guys could be more specific on exactly what is going wrong with it and check the difference between the manual install and the ckan one it would help. For instance, is there a size difference? Is it missing files? Are any files corrupt?

On a side note I HOPE you guys are using this in 1.0.5 and not the pre-release 1.1. The dependencies are NOT up to date for 1.1 yet, especially reflection plugin which causes gamebreaking issues right now. Also I can't be sure if the mods on ckan have been updated for 1.1 yet or not. If you are using 1.0.5 and the mod on ckan is updated for 1.1 it might break the game in 1.0.5 and vice-versa.

Edited by raidernick

I wish I knew the answer to ckan. I poured over all config files, cross referenced with the other files. I now believe it was with how FAR, RO, and RSS were installed. With FAR installed via ckan, the rockets would not do a gravity turn, straight up until out of the atmosphere, then I could turn. Cleared cache and installed FAR manually, works beautifully. RO just didn't do anything, manually or ckan installed. RSS screwed over my entire game. Maps were all out of wack, KSC was in the middle of the ocean for example. I'm an OS X user, still running 1.0.4, yes I confirmed the proper version of RO/RSS. No, I didn't use the highest resolution RSS terrain textures. With FAR properly working now, the latest updates of your mods are working with none of the previous issues I was having. Fantastic work mate. Also, I may have missed it, but how would I unhide the R7 vernier effects? I'm running in 64bit mode with plenty of CPU and RAM to negate negative particle lag. 

Edited by wm1248
Typo correction

@wm1248 contact the authors for those mods then in their threads to let them know ckan is failing to install the mods correctly.

To fix the vernier FX open r7_vernier_engine_v_fg.cfg and r7_vernier_blok_i_s_fg.cfg, remove the // from the fx definitions near the top of the config.

So if it says //fx_exhaustFlame_yellow_tiny = 0.0, -0.8, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running      change it to       fx_exhaustFlame_yellow_tiny = 0.0, -0.8, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running

27 minutes ago, raidernick said:

@wm1248 contact the authors for those mods then in their threads to let them know ckan is failing to install the mods correctly.

To fix the vernier FX open r7_vernier_engine_v_fg.cfg and r7_vernier_blok_i_s_fg.cfg, remove the // from the fx definitions near the top of the config.

So if it says //fx_exhaustFlame_yellow_tiny = 0.0, -0.8, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running      change it to       fx_exhaustFlame_yellow_tiny = 0.0, -0.8, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, running

OMG, I know I'm only an amateur programmer, but I'm still embarrassed I missed that. More coffee it is...thank you!

FYI, the link to my google drive, some screen shots of the RealPlume configurations I'm still tweaking them. 

What program are you using to do the modeling? Would love to help however I can. 

Just now, wm1248 said:

OMG, I know I'm only an amateur programmer, but I'm still embarrassed I missed that. More coffee it is...thank you!

FYI, the link to my google drive, some screen shots of the RealPlume configurations I'm still tweaking them. 

What program are you using to do the modeling? Would love to help however I can. 

I use a mix of blender and 3ds max but mostly blender.

raidernick, I'd really like to help troubleshoot this, and I might have time to do so later this week.  

What I *can* tell you is that I had a relatively functional KSP 1.0.5 installation, and then backed up my install directory, and upgraded to 1.1.0-preview via steam.  I launched CKAN and updated mods, obviously the R7 stuff was absent from the list.  I messed around with 1.1.0-preview for a while and then reverted to 1.0.5 by opting out of beta in steam, then after it did it's thing, I moved my old installation directory back to the original filename.  It was broken after doing so.

My guess is that somehow the files in that backed up directory were getting pooched by CKAN while parked with a .backup name, or something got hosed after unparking the directory.  Either way, I had to do a complete burndown/reinstall to fix.  

I tried this again last night and I could not replicate the missing right-click dialogs (antennae, radiators, etc), nor was I able to replicated the under-powered core/booster stages.  I did, however, run right smack into the very weak vernier issue.  They appear to be working, I think, but they are very weak.  In fact, it is possible that SAS is doing the work.  For reference, I launched at 90% throttle with my "D" key locked down via a weight.  At end of core burn out, well into space, the flight path was only 15% east of vertical. :(  Again, complete reinstall fixed.

31 minutes ago, zenmetsu said:

I tried this again last night and I could not replicate the missing right-click dialogs (antennae, radiators, etc), nor was I able to replicated the under-powered core/booster stages.  I did, however, run right smack into the very weak vernier issue.  They appear to be working, I think, but they are very weak.  In fact, it is possible that SAS is doing the work.  For reference, I launched at 90% throttle with my "D" key locked down via a weight.  At end of core burn out, well into space, the flight path was only 15% east of vertical. :(  Again, complete reinstall fixed.

There is nothing I can do about the vernier issue with turning. The verniers are already at a thrust WAY above what they should be to counteract air resistance(35kN or close instead of 3kN like IRL). The rocket is too aerodynamically stable so it is going to fight you if you try and move off of prograde. You need to set a proper flight azimuth immediately on launch and let gravity pull the rocket as the verniers are really only good for roll until the air is almost gone. This takes a lot of practice to get your starting angle just right. If they aren't providing any thrust at all though you have another issue.

Edited by raidernick

On 7 March 2016 at 3:08 PM, wm1248 said:

First and foremost, I love the Soviet mods. They look phenomenal, however, the main issue I have, is they all tumble or cartwheel out of control. I have tried many different angles of inclination, throttle settings, flight angles, mechjeb, manual, etc. The R7 does this after booster separation and the Proton does it upon gravity turn. This makes them unusable. Any ideas? Launch setting recommendations? Also, they Soyuz descent module starts flipping during reentry, despite the descent mode being toggled and/or SAS settings. These started about two updates ago I'm guessing. I had skipped a few updates and wish I had kept skipping. Any ideas?

ps, I have created RealPlume config files for these rockets...

Yes they normaly do (with this mod:wink:) my solution is yo turn when you half-way through the atmosphere.:wink:

UPDATE Soviet Probes v1.8, UPDATE Soviet Rockets v2.0

• Remove the old version completely including ALL MM CFG FILES before installing this! This means also remove any RN_.cfg files in the main gamedata folder!

• Update for KSP 1.1.2

• Remove km gimbal, uses stock gimbal now
  • Update dependencies
  • Switched to texture replacer for reflections since reflection plugin is not being updated
  • Update configs
  • Add new WORKING craft files

https://github.com/KSP-RO/SovietRockets/releases/tag/v1.8

https://github.com/KSP-RO/SovietProbes/releases/tag/v2.0

Edited by raidernick

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.