[1.8.x - 1.12.x] Soviet Probes & Soviet Rockets - R7/N1/Soyuz/Proton/Zenit/Dnepr/Kosmos/Tsiklon - 7-24-21

raidernick

I am posting up a pre-release version of v0.61. This is the build I have been testing with and I am releasing this for testing by experienced modders who wish to give input, specifically on the airbag system. I am looking for help regarding the animation aspects of the airbag. Currently when you load up the ship the airbag animation starts halfway deployed instead of at frame 0. I can't determine why this is happening. To fix this simply hit the "1" key twice. The 1 key action group is set to deploy the air bags and shrink the brown covering. The "2" action key is set to shrink the air bags after landing. These animations must remain separate to work correctly or be replaced entirely.

Changes:

-Firespitter plugin added for animations

-Reflection plugin added to all luna 9 and 10 parts that need it

-fixed the hole in ktdu engine unit

-fixed ktdu ground sensor animation lag

-Airbag completely redone

Notes on luna 9:

-DO NOT deploy the airbag while it is still attached to the engine unit or your ship will explode because of the bounce module collisions

-Do not press action key 2 before 1 or it will screw up the animation sequence

Warning:

-You MUST remove any luna 9 objects that are in flight before installing this version

-This is a pre-release for experienced modders only, I will not support this or be responsible for any damages that occur because of it

DOWNLOAD

6miobtn.png

a8BBL6Y.png

Interesting, could you post more screenshots in better light. You and DennyTX are bringing the soviet space program back to life!

Exactly! I suppose bobcat left such a big hole it's only fitting that two great modders need to fill it.

Would you be interested in making more modern russian sats like Express or Fobos-Grunt?

I want to stick with the older stuff. Currently I'm taking a break on this until the time someone with plugin experience steps up to help with the luna 9 problem. I'm not a programmer and don't have the patience or time to learn just to fix the airbag problem. I will at some point bake ambient occlusion into the models to fix the flatness of the textures.

I am still working though, I'm actually switching over to US probes for a while. I'm thinking of starting on the mariner probes and I already have a vanguard-1 probe ready to go.

I'm also on break from working on the old soyuz crafts because they will require custom parachutes which I don't know how to do yet(I need to learn).

However if you or someone else wants to help I have a VERY crude Vanguard rocket mesh that could be used as the basis for a great finished product. It is in proper scale for the probe I am working on as are the parts scales relative to themselves. There are no textures or surface details and the engines are just placeholders but like I said it is a great starting point. I can provide the blend files for these to anyone who wants to work on it.

QR7Kw2o.png

Edited by raidernick

I want to stick with the older stuff. Currently I'm taking a break on this until the time someone with plugin experience steps up to help with the luna 9 problem. I'm not a programmer and don't have the patience or time to learn just to fix the airbag problem. I will at some point bake ambient occlusion into the models to fix the flatness of the textures.

I am still working though, I'm actually switching over to US probes for a while. I'm thinking of starting on the mariner probes and I already have a vanguard-1 probe ready to go.

I'm also on break from working on the old soyuz crafts because they will require custom parachutes which I don't know how to do yet(I need to learn).

However if you or someone else wants to help I have a VERY crude Vanguard rocket mesh that could be used as the basis for a great finished product. It is in proper scale for the probe I am working on as are the parts scales relative to themselves. There are no textures or surface details and the engines are just placeholders but like I said it is a great starting point. I can provide the blend files for these to anyone who wants to work on it.

http://i.imgur.com/QR7Kw2o.png

Maybe see if you can get in touch with dtobi? He has a pack with inflatables that work quite nicely. They even make the ships float. Also what about Pork Jet and his habitat pack it seems like he has quite a handle on inflatables. Even roverdude, his MKS mod has quite a few inflatables in it.

Here's an example of baked ambient occlusion on Luna 2. The textures need some touching up to remove the black "tips" on the antennas and weird black mark on the center antenna.

I plan to rework all of the probes like this eventually. I won't release it until all are done though. The good news is instead of tiling the probes will have actual textures on ALL parts now making personal edits or reworks much easier.

nO9BEyo.png

Here's an example of baked ambient occlusion on Luna 2. The textures need some touching up to remove the black "tips" on the antennas and weird black mark on the center antenna.

I plan to rework all of the probes like this eventually. I won't release it until all are done though. The good news is instead of tiling the probes will have actual textures on ALL parts now making personal edits or reworks much easier.

http://i.imgur.com/nO9BEyo.png

WHOA!! :0.0: That is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! Keep up the fantastic work!

Now this is what I call an improvement. Keep it up, that's exactly what I meant with my rant. :) The airbag on Luna 9 seems fine, aside from the bug, of course. You could try using Nertea's Near Future Solar plugin for Luna 3. It allows you to use multiple solar panel transforms, which in turn allows curved panels and other such shenanigans. Are you also going to give the KDTU a makeover? Even if it's just an AO bake, it could improve it's looks a lot.

I'm trying to keep dependencies to a minimum so I would rather not use any more plugins. I will probably do the same thing I did for the old luna 3, an invisible rotating panel inside the probe. This allows it to collect light from any direction like it's supposed to without having to use another plugin.

Updated to V0.7

-Replaced Luna 2 and 3 with new meshes and textures.

-Replaced Luna 9 airbag - WARNING: READ THE "IMPORTANT READ FIRST" README BEFORE USING LUNA 9!

WARNINGS!!!! READ THIS!:

-Currently when you load up the ship the airbag animation starts halfway deployed instead of at frame 0. I can't determine why this is happening. To fix this simply hit the "1" key twice. The 1 key action group is set to deploy the air bags and shrink the brown covering. The "2" action key is set to shrink the air bags after landing.

-DO NOT deploy the airbag while it is still attached to the engine unit or your ship will explode because of the bounce module collisions

-Do not press action key 2 before 1 or it will screw up the animation sequence

Edited by raidernick

So you didn't find the solution for the animation yet? Did you check Firespitter and other animation plugins? KSP animation system is known to be very sensitive to various things being set up wrong.

I am using firespitter as it wouldn't work at all with the stock animation system. I asked for a more experienced modders help on this as I spent hours redoing the parts and animations over and over and it won't start at frame 0 with a part that has multiple animations, but I never got any, so this is what you get until the time I do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.