[1.8.x - 1.12.x] Soviet Probes & Soviet Rockets - R7/N1/Soyuz/Proton/Zenit/Dnepr/Kosmos/Tsiklon - 7-24-21

raidernick

Well, it says so in the first post... The alterations and quality improvements are his, though. Orbiter addons are a mixed bunch, and the original models are of rather lacking quality. That said, it looks like this is being corrected.

The only complaint for Luna 3 is that the panels could use a better specular and a normal map. Or perhaps you could use BobCat's solar panel texture, or even the stock one.

As for animations, you use Firespitter, so you could PM Snjo after this. Also, if the animation doesn't work with stock module, then something isn't set up quite right. Snjo would likely be able to help, animations in Unity are generally problematic (the dreaded "animation lag" for example...).

I just noticed that most of your models in all your threads aren't actually made by you. Is that right?

This is right. I played orbiter for a long time before moving to this game. All of the mods I used for that I have contacted the original authors and received permission to redo them for ksp. However, I ONLY have the base models. I had to make the textures myself and very often have to redo most of the model from scratch because msh to blend conversions cause a lot of problems(basically it converts EVERYTHING to to planes and as it's own separate object, which is horrible). I also do the animations as animations in orbiter are done by custom plugin not baked into the mesh file. Though I don't see why this matters.

Edited by raidernick

Here is Sputnik 2. This probe stays attached to the soyuz 2nd stage(I used third stage for pic because this isn't compatible with the molniya 8k78 and I don't have the sputnik r7 installed). Comes with Laika the dog!

CzF1kGC.png

rsaR7VK.png

Edited by raidernick

This looks nifty. Does it come with the fairing? One thing, though. The Sputnik rocket had no 3rd stage. As such, it'd be better if it could snugly attach to 2nd one.

It comes with the fairing. I know the sputnik had no third stage but I didn't have bobcat's installed and my molniya one has pipes that stick up and would've made for an ugly screen shot so I used the third stage for the picture. It does fit snugly with the 2nd stage for the pic I added some spacers inside to keep it from clipping with the 3rd stage. I guess every time I post a screen shot from now on I have to leave a paragraph explaining why I took it the way I did. But just for you I added a note to the previous post.

And for your satisfaction:

J405pLQ.png

Edited by raidernick

OK so I decided to work on a rocket specifically for the sputniks, which is the R7 8K71PS.

I know the rocket was white, but since there are virtually no reference pictures in existence for it I decided to use reference from the vostok rocket.

Here is what I was trying to model:

D36bSovietR7Rocket.jpg

Here is what I have so far on the second stage:

uxSgfNL.png

Here is the finished R7 8k71PS with sputnik 2 and nosecone on top. I'm going to try and get it more white. The textures are fairly white but in game they show up more grey(I think it's a lighting trick because the textures are most certainly already white), I don't know why and I don't want to brighten them up too much or you'll lose the texture and ambient occlusion.

ozCsxia.png

Edited by raidernick

I have no control over the separation. The colliders are done correctly as is the balance and COM of the parts. It uses the stock decouplers and if they don't work properly that isn't my problem and there is nothing I can do it is something squad still needs to fix. Proof of this is evident on bobcat's soyuz. The boosters used to decouple in a nice korolyov cross now they either fall straight down or eject into the center stage and blow up. I'll point to this thread yet again showing this has nothing to do with my mod but a problem with the game.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/88026-Radial-Decouplers-3-75m-Decoupler-Issues-%28Return-of-the-Kraken-0-24-2%29

Edited by raidernick

Yeah, but Soyuz does not use separation motors. It actually has spring-loaded clamps which, along with aerodynamic forces, ensure a clean separation. Squad needs to get the decouplers in order, they're not always working as intended now.

KM Gimbal will work well for verniers; if you were doing independently-gimbaling thrust chambers, you'd want to use the stock gimbal (it gimbals each thrustTransform independently).

Dragon01: I'm well aware. I'm suggesting solutions for the now, not "best possible option regardless of KSP's current reality"

I'm not quite sure about this kerfuffle over the stage 1 sep on the Soyuz. I did a Sputnik 1 launch a couple days ago using Bobcat's Soyuz launcher and Lando's Sputnik, and got a perfect Korolev Cross. I'll see if I can reproduce and get a screen capture.

It sometimes works, some people report no problems at all, while some get it consistently... Dunno what might be happening. It's not like the Cross doesn't happen at all, it merely doesn't happen consistently (like it used to).

That's a good point. I abandoned the 64-bit client because of stability problems I simply got tired of fiddling with. The 32-bit client is working fine, though I have to be choosy as to the mods I use.

Verniers are finished but I can't seem to get the gimbal to limit the movement to a single axis. I sent dtobi a message about this hopefully he can help resolve it.

EDIT: Just finished the winglets too. They have a control surface module and rotate to aide in turning.

Edited by raidernick