[1.8.x - 1.12.x] Soviet Probes & Soviet Rockets - R7/N1/Soyuz/Proton/Zenit/Dnepr/Kosmos/Tsiklon - 7-24-21

raidernick

Here are the finished sputniks 1-3 with payload base and fairings on the finished 8k71ps rocket. I am holding off releasing this until I get a response from Dtobi in regards to the gimbal plugin, otherwise I will have to release it as is with the full range gimbal on verniers instead of it being locked to a single axis.

p2EIdha.png

gcW4yAf.pngOM8sdkK.png

Even if you don't *include* the DLL, you can certainly include the settings and then ask people to download Space Shuttle Engines... ;)

(not that I think dtobi would refuse)

That's not what I mean. I can include the dll no problem it is in the license that you can redistribute in original form. The problem is that I can't get the configuration to work for the vernier gimbals properly because there is no documentation on how to implement the module. The issue I'm having is with the plugin not limiting the gimbal to a single axis despite changing the values for it to do so.

Should've asked me. This is how I do it:

MODULE

{

name = KM_Gimbal

gimbalTransformName = gimbal

yawGimbalRange = 8.5

pitchGimbalRange = 10.5

enableRoll = true

}

This should do. Just reduce the range of your choice to 0 to restrict gimballing in that plane. Simple enough.

Oh, and if the rocket is UVed, I might try to mess around with the maps, try to get it to appear more white and more realistic. Ideally, it'd have a normal map, but I guess I can work without it.

Also, can you make a Luna upper stage?

raketa-luna-english-text.jpg

It's identical to Vostok Blok E, except for the Vostok lower fairing:

vostok-3-(3ka)-stagea.jpg

Should've asked me. This is how I do it:

MODULE

{

name = KM_Gimbal

gimbalTransformName = gimbal

yawGimbalRange = 8.5

pitchGimbalRange = 10.5

enableRoll = true

}

This should do. Just reduce the range of your choice to 0 to restrict gimballing in that plane. Simple enough.

That would be nice if that worked but I already tried that. Reducing yaw to 0 does nothing and reducing pitch to 0 prevents the gimbal from moving at all in any direction. If you want to mess with the textures everything is UV'ed if it's good I can include it with the mod. I didn't make normal maps because I didn't see a reason to. It doesn't have the same surface details that newer soyuz rockets do it is just flat white. If you want to make a normal map I can add flat normal maps to the textures that way anyone can edit them to change surface detail. Although I might add a slight "ribbing" to the NRM like the newer rockets have along the first and second stages.

Also, I already have a block E and payload connector bases for the luna probes. I just haven't had time to work on them further yet. That will be done for a future release though not part of this one.

Edited by raidernick

Did you try changing the yaw gimbal range to something very small, but nonzero? If zero doesn't work, try that. Oddly, I remember it used to work. Ask Dtobi about that (post in a thread, not on PM), maybe something broke in 0.24. Anyway

Yes I tried a small nonzero number, it makes no difference. I am not sure how it is supposed to face in unity is the issue. It only works if the "blue" axis is facing down, same as a thrustTransform, but I don't know how it should be rotated otherwise.

Edited by raidernick

Here is a prerelease of v0.8 while I wait for dtobi to return from vacation to help with the gimbals. It includes sputnik1-3 and the R7 8k71ps rocket. I included craft files for each sputnik with the launcher.

This is for testing purposes only. I included blank normal maps for the main rocket bodies for anyone who wants to play around with that. If you make a good one and want me to include it with the mod let me know. I tried the ribbing in the normal maps myself and didn't like how it looked so I just left them blank.

NOTE: Don't complain about the gimbaling as I explicitly stated several times that I can't get it to limit to a single axis and the reason this is a prerelease is I am waiting for help from dtobi.

*link removed* please download prerelease 2 below.

Edited by raidernick

I'll take a look at it. Maybe I'll be able to get the gimbal to work. I already converted B9 engines (OK, that was in 0.23) to Dtobi's plugin instead of what they used before, so unless the plugin itself is broken, the method I used should work.

OK, it's been confirmed that there's a serious bug in Dtobi's gimbals. B9 guys also ran into it and are currently working on fixing it. You'll be able to do single-axis gimbaling really soon.

I am looking for constructive feedback on the sputnik probes and rocket in the prerelease. If anyone wants to give feedback please download the prerelease #2 on page 12 and PM me with feedback as I don't want to clutter up this thread with long essays/paragraphs.

OK, it's been confirmed that there's a serious bug in Dtobi's gimbals. B9 guys also ran into it and are currently working on fixing it. You'll be able to do single-axis gimbaling really soon.

I fixed it already on Saturday. The latest files from the Dropbox link should solve your problem.

KM gimbal has been updated so without further adieu V0.8

-Added Sputnik 1-3 probes

-Added Sputnik R7 8K71PS carrier rocket and craft files

-If you used the prerelease version you MUST delete that fully before installing this, that includes removing any in-flight crafts related to sputnik

OK, I've tested the mod.

Overall:

-The remodeled probes are a real improvement over what you used to have. Sputniks and early Lunas look good. The rocket looks good. Consider making a Vostok-style second stage for the Luna, complete with verniers.

-Good looks seem to have a price in your case, though. The UV mapping is very, very inefficient. You're using multiple 1024x1024 textures, where you should use only one. The general idea is, one map per probe, with all those small textures baked into it. The resulting quality loss will not be noticeable on probes that size.

-There are some weird black spots on Luna 2's "rim". Check it out, it's probably a small texturing error.

-Symmetry doesn't work on any of your parts. Try playing around with "stackSymmetry = 1", place it under attach rules and play around with the value until it's possible to attach 4 verniers using symmetry.

-Luna 9 airbag is the weirdest thing I've seen in KSP so far. Folded, it looks passable, it's only missing a normal map. I suggest you get it remodeled with Snjo's help, possibly around the time you get around to AO-baking/remodelling Luna 9. You also should research how exactly the airbag was deployed and jettisoned. It's though (little data is available), but not impossible. It appears that it consisted of two segments that inflated slightly, then was separated (not deflated "back") and jettisoned. It might be tricky to do in KSP, but should be possible.

landing_sequence_1.jpg

I know how the bag works. I had it working that way originally when it was the "yellow" bags. Unfortunately when it decoupled the bag colliders would either make the probe explode or they would explode when rolling away so I redid it this way to avoid that. You know this as you used the old version. As soon as a bounce collider touches a regular collider the entire ship explodes there is no way to cover the probe with bags and having the colliders intersect. Fixing luna 9 is at the bottom of my priority list right now though so don't hold your breath.

Edited by raidernick