[1.8.x - 1.12.x] Soviet Probes & Soviet Rockets - R7/N1/Soyuz/Proton/Zenit/Dnepr/Kosmos/Tsiklon - 7-24-21

raidernick

That's great. BTW, since you're doing the Polyot, you might want to take look at this: http://www.russianspaceweb.com/is.html

It was a part of a larger "Istrebitel-Sputnik" project. You could try modelling the additional hardware (there isn't a whole lot of it) and an alternate "front plate" (without the writing) to allow making the IS spacecraft. It's basically Polyot with a bunch of antennae (including two folding ones on the side) and a big wire dish on the front.

Updated V0.96

- Fixed Luna 9 airbag issue starting half deployed, separated into 2 pieces

- Removed firespitter dependency

- Fixed R7 rocket engine fx for 0.25 fx changes

- Updated molniya-1 textures

- Fixed block L mass value

- Updated craft files

- PLEASE REMOVE OLD VERSION BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONE!

I finally fixed the airbag half deployed issue by separating the airbags and cover into 2 pieces. The airbags are very small in the vab and difficult to hotkey as you must angle the camera inside the ALS to see in order to select them. In my opinion this is the lesser of two evils and is worlds better than the screwed up animation before. The Luna 9 craft file already has this action keyed for you so I recommend using that.

Firespitter is no longer a dependency.

Edited by raidernick

Just noticed today that the R7 rockets seems to be very overpowered. I don't know if it has always been like this or is a product of the 0.25 update. I don't test the rocket as a whole very often I usually test parts on the pad or hyper edited to orbit. I was able to stack 2 salyut stations on top of eachother and launch them to orbit on a regular soyuz fg. I have been messing around with the engine ISP's to see if I can fix this. If anyone wants to mess with theirs and comes up with some good numbers for the soyuz 1st 2nd and 3rd stages let me know. The rocket should be able to launch a (15 ton payload? scaled) to LKO with barely any fuel left in the tanks. Currently I can launch luna9 directly to the Mun and land using the 3rd stage without using block L or the luna 9 engines at all(obviously this is an issue).

Just noticed today that the R7 rockets seems to be very overpowered. I don't know if it has always been like this or is a product of the 0.25 update. I don't test the rocket as a whole very often I usually test parts on the pad or hyper edited to orbit. I was able to stack 2 salyut stations on top of eachother and launch them to orbit on a regular soyuz fg. I have been messing around with the engine ISP's to see if I can fix this. If anyone wants to mess with theirs and comes up with some good numbers for the soyuz 1st 2nd and 3rd stages let me know. The rocket should be able to launch a (15 ton payload? scaled) to LKO with barely any fuel left in the tanks. Currently I can launch luna9 directly to the Mun and land using the 3rd stage without using block L or the luna 9 engines at all(obviously this is an issue).

I think its because of .25. I mentioned this Frizz about the Saturn V being over powered. His Saturn V seems to just leap off of the launchpad now instead of slowly like I did before .25. So I think it might be a .25 thing. Also i love the new textures as well.

I think its because of .25. I mentioned this Frizz about the Saturn V being over powered. His Saturn V seems to just leap off of the launchpad now instead of slowly like I did before .25. So I think it might be a .25 thing. Also i love the new textures as well.

If this is the case I am reluctant to release an update with the ISP's changed. I don't want to do that then have them fix it and have the rockets not lift anything. Not sure if this is an actual change or a bug.

I had notice similar overpowered launchers with the 24.2 64, but had always attributed it to my use of FAR or NEAR. I had to reduce thrust to as much as 70% so I did not flip out and usually was able to retain first stage to apoapsis with the Sputnik 1 Launch Assembly and had more than enough Delta V to complete circulation on the second stage. I agree that you should probably wait until 25 gets sorted further before investing energy into solving this.

On another note it would be nice to see the Venus probes for both packs, just the model looks great at this point. Also have you considered doing any of other the early Mars/Venus probes? Vangaurd, Ariel, Kosmos, Lunar Impactors, etc. I am not being greedy at all.... :D

Well apparently I'm an idiot who doesn't test stuff and the rocket has always been overpowered and I didn't notice. I'm very surprised nobody ever told me though. I am obviously not good at doing cfg's so I'll be looking for people to contribute to this. Anyone who makes a good cfg edit to the soyuz rockets that works as they are intended too(i.e. not able to reach the mun using the third stage or launch two salyut stations to orbit at once) please feel free to post it up here and I'll include it in the mod. The third stage should have a small amount of fuel left once reaching orbit when carrying a payload the size of luna9/block l. The 1.0 release will be on hold until this is fixed.

EDIT: This is more of a plea for help as I SUCK at making cfg's and very often just copy stock ones or from other mods just based on whether the weight matches or not. This will likely never get finished if someone isn't kind enough to fix the giant mess that are the cfg files and I don't have the capacity to.

Edited by raidernick

You do great stuff, and I really hope someone steps up for this! I also just realized you might also consider posting a [Help Wanted] as its own thread, maybe in Addon General; unlike most such threads, you actually *will* be doing the harder part (modeling, texturing). :)

I didn't say anything due to the aforementioned use of FAR and more recently NEAR. Since most Mods are configured for the stock Kerbin soup atmosphere I have usually found myself with more DV than I should. Generally adjust thrust and decouple stages sooner so I can keep somewhat with realism.

I modify cfg's a lot for my own personal use so I can play my historical recreation of the space race in Career Mode using RSS. Although not the best I can certainly help in that regard.

Cutting the fuel in half you have to use just alittle of the third stage to complete orbit sounds like what you want but making the changes in the cfg works the save craft have to be rebuild, I'm sure there is away to write a MM to do it but the save craft is all that will be needed then.

V0.96.5

-Changed all textures to MBM format to fix tga and png loader issues

-Updated r7 rocket mass, thrust and fuel values so they aren't overpowered

-Updated craft files

-PLEASE REMOVE OLD VERSION COMPLETELY BEFORE INSTALLING NEW VERSION!

You must remove all old files before updating or you will end up with duplicate textures. Converte all files to mbm which will decrease RAM usage significantly because of a tga loading issue and the png mipmap issue.

I also copied bobcat's soyuz rocket part files for my cfg. This fixes the rocket being overpowered for now.

I tested this mod out yesterday, did a Monlnyia replica (had to build my own as the .craft wouldn't load in .24) also did Luna 1 and 3 impactor and orbiter replica missons. when do you plan on adding Fregat? you have all the other parts for Soyuz ST variant.

Edit: I would have to agree with others, it is over powered a bit.

I tested this mod out yesterday, did a Monlnyia replica (had to build my own as the .craft wouldn't load in .24) also did Luna 1 and 3 impactor and orbiter replica missons. when do you plan on adding Fregat? you have all the other parts for Soyuz ST variant.

Edit: I would have to agree with others, it is over powered a bit.

Look above I just updated it. Also, there is no reason why the craft files shouldn't work in 0.24. Can you please tell me which parts it says are missing? I built it using only my parts and the stock struts for the boosters.

Look above I just updated it. Also, there is no reason why the craft files shouldn't work in 0.24. Can you please tell me which parts it says are missing? I built it using only my parts and the stock struts for the boosters.

Sputnik 2 doens't have a decoupler and doesn't decouple from the rocket. Is this by design or is it just not finished yet? Right now I have dog and a r7 core floating in space.

Sputnik 2 doens't have a decoupler and doesn't decouple from the rocket. Is this by design or is it just not finished yet? Right now I have dog and a r7 core floating in space.

Sputnik 2 doesn't decouple. It stays attached to the soyuz center stage. That's the way it's supposed to be.

it didn't not load, it didn't even show up in the list of crafts to load. and fregat?

Updated V0.96.6

-Added separation motor for sputnik rocket to help with the radial decoupler issue. This will be removed once the issue is fixed

-Updated craft and subassembly files with separation motor

This is the same old separation motor I made for the original molniya rocket. I just replaced the textures and tweaked the twr values. I will eventually remove this again once the decouplers are fixed for good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.