}
Atmosphere
{
lightColor = 0.109,0.108,0.643,0
ambientColor = 0.106,0.107,0.335,1
}
}
}

I cant seem to get textures to work at all. When I try to set them up, Kopernicus refuses to load all of the new planets.

What format must the textures be in? .png? .bmp? .jpeg?

i havnt looked at this thread for a while, how much progress has been made? can we make full blown planets yet?

Wondering the same thing

Maybe one day Squad will add custom/random systems. They claim it would take away from the community experience ('Hey guys look I finally landed on Duna!') since planets wouldn't be the same for everyone, but this can easily be fixed by having a manual seed so you could share it.

Wondering the same thing

Maybe one day Squad will add custom/random systems. They claim it would take away from the community experience ('Hey guys look I finally landed on Duna!') since planets wouldn't be the same for everyone, but this can easily be fixed by having a manual seed so you could share it.

Or making it so that planets are procedurally generated beyond the Kerbol system, but everybody shares the same seed. I don't care much for such a feature, but having PlanetFactory/Kopernikus functionality (creating planets with cfg files) in the stock game would be awesome.

Planets are procedurally generated *in* the Kerbol system, but everyone shares the same seed. There are a number of planets that have no heightmap, and thus their terrain is *entirely* procedurally generated. Minmus is an example. It's just that the seed is kept constant, so everyone gets the same Minmus.

Planets are procedurally generated *in* the Kerbol system, but everyone shares the same seed. There are a number of planets that have no heightmap, and thus their terrain is *entirely* procedurally generated. Minmus is an example. It's just that the seed is kept constant, so everyone gets the same Minmus.

One smallish question Is jools texture procedural otherwise My life is easier when i recreate my planet pack.

My basic idea is that as a long term project, is to create a galactic center with stars orbiting it. These stars will have procedural solar systems in a similar manner to asteroids. Now obviously if gas giants can't have procedural textures, I'd have to either store a texture for each of the thousands of possibilities of gas giants, or I could reuse textures. I was asking if this is the best solution.

braininator: ah. *No* planets get procedural textures in scaled space; the only procedural part of planets is the PQS (the terrain you see when close up). Gas giants don't have PQS (i.e. only have scaled space models) and thus have no procedural component. The way things normally work is, for non-gas-giant planets, you create the terrain via PQSMods and then export maps to be used in scaled space (and possibly touch them up manually, too). You could of course automate that process, although the rendering is quite expensive (IIRC it took me about 11 minutes for a 4096x2048 map for Kerbin)....as for gas giants, you could write, either in Cg as a shader or via C# and render to texture, a gas giant texture generator.

braininator: ah. *No* planets get procedural textures in scaled space; the only procedural part of planets is the PQS (the terrain you see when close up). Gas giants don't have PQS (i.e. only have scaled space models) and thus have no procedural component. The way things normally work is, for non-gas-giant planets, you create the terrain via PQSMods and then export maps to be used in scaled space (and possibly touch them up manually, too). You could of course automate that process, although the rendering is quite expensive (IIRC it took me about 11 minutes for a 4096x2048 map for Kerbin)....as for gas giants, you could write, either in Cg as a shader or via C# and render to texture, a gas giant texture generator.

I would recommend doing this in a shader. Doing the math and then writing the texture in the CPU would take ages.

EDIT:

If you get this working, I'd like to talk. I haven't been able to find good planet-wide noise generation mechanisms.

I am aware that PQS is the main way of doing things procedurally, which is why I am trying to make my current short term project AlternisSolar, completely procedurally generated. I am under the hope, and impression, that if I can produce procedural planets by hand like clockwork, automating the process will be trivial ( I Hope) for my large project. In regards to creating a texture generator for gas giants... I almost certainly won't be able to do it TBH, I expect that 90% of the project is going to be the learning curve :P

Also, am I missing something with texture exporting... Mine takes a lot less time to do even an 8k texture. Admittedly I can't get them to work(land of water planets is white) so I am probably missing something..

Ah, it may be that KSP is much faster doing it these days. Last time I tried was in .22 or so!

As for land being white, that's because you're seeing the alpha channel. Load the image in an image editor, you should see normal colors in RGB, and land/ocean in Alpha. If you're using Photoshop, get SuperPNG and have it load PNG alpha as alpha, not transparency (PS has problems with PNG files...)

Do you mean I need to convert it into RGB for in-game use or do I just need a special way of viewing for PS/gimp?

Edit:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry... I found out what my problem was. My landclass coverage frequency for tundra and ice caps was out by a factor of like 5.... I'd guess 98% of the land is pure ice...Now I feel like a complete moron....

Edited by braininator

No, I just mean that an image where all the land is white might be because it's showing the land as transparent (because that area will be black on the alpha channel). But I guess what you describe could cause that too. Don't sweat it, it happens. :]

I've discovered something strange that happens when you press Ctrl-S. It makes a bunch of green lines appear out from the terrain of every planet/moon. Here's a few pictures:

WgU29MY.jpg

Wkgsrfr.jpg

I cant seem to figure out a key combo to make them disappear, and the only way to get rid of them is to exit the game and restart.

Is this an intentional function of the mod? If so, how do I make them go away if that button combo is pressed? It tends to happen quite frequently when landing a ship since it involved the throttle and movement keys.

Thanks.

I cant seem to figure out a key combo to make them disappear, and the only way to get rid of them is to exit the game and restart.

Is this an intentional function of the mod? If so, how do I make them go away if that button combo is pressed? It tends to happen quite frequently when landing a ship since it involved the throttle and movement keys.

I've already posted this in your other thread, but Ctrl-C should get rid of them...

Thanks.

Pressing Ctrl+C will turn them off, according to line 184 in RuntimeUtility.cs in the source code.

Edit: Ninja'd...

Edited by &Josh
Fixed link

Its been awhile since I or Bryce posted, but I wanted to give a bit of an update to the project. Bryce and I are going to try to finish up at least a beta version over our thanksgiving breaks, and also create a wiki on GitHub about using Kopernicus.

School is a lot of work...