[Early development, 0.24] Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier

Okay, I really hope these guys get back. NathanKell doesn't have the time to try to fix it, so if these guys don't return then Krag's gonna have to patch up his mod, which is really too buggy at this point to fix without re-writing everything.

Edited by _Augustus_

I'm glad to know "sorry I don't have time, I agree it would be great" gets turned into "I don't want to fix it."

I think there is some deep wisdom about the human condition you have there.

I'm glad to know "sorry I don't have time, I agree it would be great" gets turned into "I don't want to fix it."

I'm sorry. I'm trying to be persuasive.

That, and unless you know some, no one I know of on this forum but you, the Kopernicus devs, or Krag could fix this. Conveniently the last two have dissapeared.

PFREV will die without Kopernicus being fixed..

I'm sorry. I'm trying to be persuasive.

That, and unless you know some, no one I know of on this forum but you, the Kopernicus devs, or Krag could fix this. Conveniently the last two have dissapeared.

PFREV will die without Kopernicus being fixed..

Given that the code for Kopernicus is freely available, you could try to figure out the problem yourself you know.

By way of explanation, I started this project at a time when I was not busy at all. My initial work attracted a very talented developer, who did all the PQSmod stuff. I have no idea how it works, and as I'm pretty busy now again, I don't have the copious free time to figure it out.

I started Kopernicus because I really wanted it to run a particular outer planets mission in RSS/RO. But now I don't really have time to play KSP much either, so I don't daily feel "I wish I could do that mission that I can't do because RSS doesn't have enough planets."

To top it off, I've always felt some degree of mixed feelings writing code that improves a proprietary program for free in a programming language that, while ok, is certainly not my favorite, for a game engine that is really badly designed for this sort of game (Unity.) If KSP were open source, I'd probably have finished this off out of duty, but it isn't. I said I would watch for pull requests on the Kopernicus github, but no one seems to actually be making them. The only thing I've gotten on github are questions about how the PQSmods work, which I don't know the answers to.

I am really sorry, but I just haven't been able to find the time to work on KSP stuff much lately. To reiterate my earlier statement, though, if you want to fix Kopernicus, fork it on github; I will be watching for pull requests.

By way of explanation, I started this project at a time when I was not busy at all. My initial work attracted a very talented developer, who did all the PQSmod stuff. I have no idea how it works, and as I'm pretty busy now again, I don't have the copious free time to figure it out.

I started Kopernicus because I really wanted it to run a particular outer planets mission in RSS/RO. But now I don't really have time to play KSP much either, so I don't daily feel "I wish I could do that mission that I can't do because RSS doesn't have enough planets."

To top it off, I've always felt some degree of mixed feelings writing code that improves a proprietary program for free in a programming language that, while ok, is certainly not my favorite, for a game engine that is really badly designed for this sort of game (Unity.) If KSP were open source, I'd probably have finished this off out of duty, but it isn't. I said I would watch for pull requests on the Kopernicus github, but no one seems to actually be making them. The only thing I've gotten on github are questions about how the PQSmods work, which I don't know the answers to.

I am really sorry, but I just haven't been able to find the time to work on KSP stuff much lately. To reiterate my earlier statement, though, if you want to fix Kopernicus, fork it on github; I will be watching for pull requests.

All I need is a planet duper with the ability to edit everything non-PQS. RSS can do the rest.

I'm really sad that you just gave up on us. This mod was the future of planet creation...

I'm really sad that you just gave up on us. This mod was the future of planet creation...

Well, that's not exactly what he said so I've now forked it and will get it, at least, back to the state it was in in 0.25 and submit a pull request. Watch this space...

Well, that's not exactly what he said so I've now forked it and will get it, at least, back to the state it was in in 0.25 and submit a pull request. Watch this space...

Well, that wasn't very difficult. You can download a replacement Kopernicus.dll that "works" with KSP 0.90 from my dropbox.

Install the pre-alpha3 version as previously described and replace the dll in the GameData/Kopernicus/Plugins folder with the one from my zip.

License as original and source as pull request submitted to OPs github.

Notes:

There is currently a problem with the RedKerbin config (it gives an exception loading the Gradient node).

I haven't tried the EelooBiomes config because it already has biomes in 0.90.

Enjoy... ;)

I'm talking to Pashidar...

I currently know next to nothing about this mod, I just had a spare hour or two and thought I would help out by fixing the compilation problems. Other people in this thread have far more experience of the mod than I do so I would advise you to follow their advice and, at least, try defining a colour ramp if you haven't already. I believe the RedKerbin config did work at some point (I seem to remember a screenshot showing it) so I am a bit surprised that it doesn't now. I suspect something like the stock Kerbin definition's gradient is now conflicting with the new one in some way but without more time to investigate I can't be sure. There certainly doesn't look to be anything obviously wrong with the code that reads the gradient but I'll try to take a closer look when I have some more free time...

P.S. Oh, and it would be nice if you spelled my name right...

I currently know next to nothing about this mod, I just had a spare hour or two and thought I would help out by fixing the compilation problems. Other people in this thread have far more experience of the mod than I do so I would advise you to follow their advice and, at least, try defining a colour ramp if you haven't already. I believe the RedKerbin config did work at some point (I seem to remember a screenshot showing it) so I am a bit surprised that it doesn't now. I suspect something like the stock Kerbin definition's gradient is now conflicting with the new one in some way but without more time to investigate I can't be sure. There certainly doesn't look to be anything obviously wrong with the code that reads the gradient but I'll try to take a closer look when I have some more free time...

P.S. Oh, and it would be nice if you spelled my name right...

Yeah... not a big deal. I can fix it with KittopiaTech and RSS when they're updated, which will also allow me to make terrestrial bodies.

Wait... So I got told you can't add custom terrain with Kopernicus, but there is the Planet Factory Revived Mod and that config for Enceladus that both do... So I'm guessing you can?

Well, in that case, I refer back to my old question; What would I do to add the old planet Kopernicus back into the game exactly like it was? I understand how to make a Duna copy, then give it Laythe's Atmo, but what do I have to reference to give it Mars' Heightmap and terrain? Obviously you must be able to do it, but I'm just not sure exactly what you have to do...

Yeah... not a big deal. I can fix it with KittopiaTech and RSS when they're updated, which will also allow me to make terrestrial bodies.

You don't need to do that. See my example Gas Planet:

153a5470ff.jpg

@Kopernicus 
{
Body
{
name = Aha
flightGlobalsIndex = 31
Template
{
name = Jool
}
Properties
{
description = What?
radius = 5665800
mass = 4.73535382e+24
geeASL = 0.9
}
Orbit
{
referenceBody = Sun
color = 0,0,1,1
inclination = 2
eccentricity = 0.2
semiMajorAxis = 704000100092
longitudeOfAscendingNode = 0.6
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
epoch = 0
}
ScaledVersion
{
Material
{
texture = KopernicusExamples/Aha/Aha_mainTex
[B]rimColorRamp = KopernicusExamples/Aha/ramp_blue[/B]
rimPower = 2.06
rimBlend = 0.3
}
}
Atmosphere
{
lightColor = 0.788, 0.782, 0.705, 1.00
ambientColor = 0.106, 0.187, 0.335, 1.00
}
}
}

And the color ramp:

ramp_blue.png

And if you don't want a color ramp, you can use the config to define it. See the RedKerbin example.

Edited by Nutt007

Okay, no bugs with the color ramps so far. I figured out how to do it, nutt..

I also have now made the Kaiser system, but with Fearless and Hodor also added as moons of Kaiser. Everything works great except the biomes... and the fact that CZF30 and Fearless appear to have no land masses at all when you're close to them...

Remember to install the fixed version of Kopernicus for 0.90!

Step 1: Create a basic cfg for your planet. Copy Aha, Hodor, or Enceladus if you need to. Edit the mass, radius, template, gradients, biomes, etc.

Always use a new flightglobalsindex number for each planet!

Step 2: Install RealSolarSystem. Delete the "Compatibility" folder. Open up the config, delete everything but the REALSOLARSYSTEM and two brackets, and type the following:

SSBump = GameData/[Folder]/[Planet Name]_normal.png
PQS
{
[Planet Name]
{
PQSMod_VertexHeightMap
{
heightMap = GameData/[Folder]/[Planet Name]_height.png
}
Add
{
PQSMod_VertexColorMapBlend
{
vertexColorMap = GameData/[Folder]/[Planet Name]_color.png
blend = 1.0
order = 9999993
}
}
}
}
}
[Planet Name]{    

Do not add any of the normal or heightmap stuff for Gilly-based planets. Also, do not use RSS to add heightmaps, normal maps, or color maps to gas giants.

Planets without heightmaps do not need PQSMod_VertexHeightMaps.

Also, because this needs RSS you can also use RSS to edit atmo heights and stuff.

Step 3: Launch KSP.

Step 4: Enjoy! There may be some bugs.

Edited by _Augustus_