[Early development, 0.24] Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier

Yeah sorry. Work had piled up. I had a couple really difficult courses last semester and some other (work) projects that had piled up over the summer. I had to take a break from all my personal projects and get .... done. At this point I just have courses as all the backed up projects are completed (hopefully).

The only thing that comes to mind as far as incorrect lighting is that I had hard coded the shaders loaded for planet materials. It could be that the shaders I used have become deprecated in 0.9, but I'll check it out this week. The PQSMod loaders shouldn't be too complicated to write, there is just a lot of them TO write. And then there is the topic of documentation and tutorials ... I do honestly think that Bryce is done of this project at this point, I haven't heard from him since early November but he was swamped at school then. But again, *hopefully* we can wrap Kopernicus up within a month or so. Probably right in time to get broken by the next KSP update...

So to not swamp our planet packs again, could you make a converter from PFCE and KopernicusTech to Kopernicus once it's finished??

Well you did show us that RSS could be eliminated as a dependency. You added a lot of good stuff, so don't disappear from Kopernicus or Kittopia.

Yeah, he should keep working on it until Teknoman is done.

But again, *hopefully* we can wrap Kopernicus up within a month or so.

Wooooho! I hope we can have a "official" binary hosted on github, many pull requests for CKAN depend on Kopernicus...

Probably right in time to get broken by the next KSP update...

ah, that's a given... Any code is by definition broken half a second after being released :cool:

So to not swamp our planet packs again, could you make a converter from PFCE and KopernicusTech to Kopernicus once it's finished??

Uh, how much have the configuration files changed? As far as what I can see pushed to GitHub (or at least tracked forks of the source I should say), the configuration file really hasn't changed much right?

Well you did show us that RSS could be eliminated as a dependency. You added a lot of good stuff, so don't disappear from Kopernicus or Kittopia.

RSS was never a dependency, I just used a couple of textures from it as sample content. Which I provided in the Pre Alpha/ download...

But, I believe there is some scaling factor elsewhere for planets on R&D, because there are a few planets that has 100 unit sized scaled space

Jools small moons have the scaling of 100, I believe Gilly does as well.

Uh, how much have the configuration files changed? As far as what I can see pushed to GitHub (or at least tracked forks of the source I should say), the configuration file really hasn't changed much right?

RSS was never a dependency, I just used a couple of textures from it as sample content. Which I provided in the Pre Alpha/ download...

Jools small moons have the scaling of 100, I believe Gilly does as well.

The config files have changed in some ways, but all that really needs to happen is that they need to be re-written.

Kopernicus can't load PQS, so we need another plugin for that. RSS was used by the majority for a while, but Gravitasi modified or at least showed that Kittopia could be used for that.

Kopernicus can't load PQS, so we need another plugin for that. RSS was used by the majority for a while, but Gravitasi modified or at least showed that Kittopia could be used for that.

PQS loading is what Bryce and I were working on when we got tied up with real life. All the prerequisites were pretty much solved (spent a week making a generic reflection based config loader), we just didn't get around to writing the PQS mod loaders. It makes more technical sense to do it all as one mod - mainly because Kopernicus instantiates planets before PSystem loading (I've talked about this in detail in the past). I guess I'll check out this outer planets mod I see in the banner above this post and check out how things have changed.

Edit - Oh dear lord. The reason I made Kopernicus compatible with ModuleManager was so that everything didn't have to get shoved into System.cfg...

Edited by Teknoman117

Ideally I'd like to handle everything with one mod too, but as you said PQS wasn't fully available yet. If you get rings and PQS working in Kopernicus I wouldn't need Kittopia for anything at all.

OPM moves Eeloo to a custom planet. Moving the orbit of a stock body didn't work (at least not the last time I checked) with MM configs so I had to put into System.cfg to get it to work. If that is/can be fixed, then I'd happily move over to a MM config.

Don't know if you already noticed it, but one of the biggest issues with Kopernicus currently is its inability to correctly apply biomes to new bodies. At the moment it applies the new biome to both the new body and the template body. Might be another thing to look into.

Feel free to extract anything from KittopiaTech, such as its "unique" features: rings, the hacky "star fix", hazardous "oceans" and the cfg-based particle loading for scaledspace planets. I'm probably just going to (personally, feel free to do whatever with it.) discontinue it, as working on it became much to stressful due to how messy my code became. It would be nice to finally have a "one-stop shop" for planets, instead of a series of dependencies.

Good luck, you may or may not need it.

Feel free to extract anything from KittopiaTech, such as its "unique" features: rings, the hacky "star fix", hazardous "oceans" and the cfg-based particle loading for scaledspace planets. I'm probably just going to (personally, feel free to do whatever with it.) discontinue it, as working on it became much to stressful due to how messy my code became. It would be nice to finally have a "one-stop shop" for planets, instead of a series of dependencies.

Good luck, you may or may not need it.

Yeah, good luck.

Maybe he can fix the issues with starfix such as stars emitting light from insane distances in scaledspace.

Ideally I'd like to handle everything with one mod too, but as you said PQS wasn't fully available yet. If you get rings and PQS working in Kopernicus I wouldn't need Kittopia for anything at all.

OPM moves Eeloo to a custom planet. Moving the orbit of a stock body didn't work (at least not the last time I checked) with MM configs so I had to put into System.cfg to get it to work. If that is/can be fixed, then I'd happily move over to a MM config.

Don't know if you already noticed it, but one of the biggest issues with Kopernicus currently is its inability to correctly apply biomes to new bodies. At the moment it applies the new biome to both the new body and the template body. Might be another thing to look into.

I saw somebody post that as an issue on the GitHub awhile back. It appears they changed the API for how to set the biomes for the planets.

Repost from another thread

Sorry, I probably should've made an example for reparenting. The module manager config for editing an existing value needs to be prefixed with @. So its "@referenceBody = Sarnus". I just tested this in 0.90.0 with Kopernicus ("core" i guess). Worked just fine!

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
// We want to edit the definition of Eeloo
@Body[Eeloo]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Kerbin
color = 1,1,0,1
inclination = 2
eccentricity = 0
semiMajorAxis = 30000000
longitudeOfAscendingNode = 0
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
epoch = 0
}
}
}

Erm, what launch glitches do you speak of? I've got a 0.90.0 install with the only mods being the outer planets mod and the current 0.0.3 build of Kopernicus (that I seriously just posted). Just wrote a script to parent Kerbin to the "Urlum" gas giant, and I launched a ship without noticing any issues. (However, the Kerbin's moons also came with, so they'd need to be edited).

// Apply this patch after the Kopernicus mod is loaded
{
@Body[Kerbin]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Urlum

// Other orbit stuff
inclination = 0.375
eccentricity = 0
semiMajorAxis = 15000000
longitudeOfAscendingNode = 0
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
epoch = 0
}
}
}

- - - Updated - - -

Release 0.0.3 is officially posted.

https://github.com/BryceSchroeder/Kopernicus/releases/

- Fixed bug preventing reparenting of stock bodies

- Fixed bug where stock biomes could not be overridden

- Added code to sort bodies in R&D center by maximum distance from parent body

When I launch, the ship is floating in space, with no visible planets. The map view shows the vessel as being located as far as I can tell) in the center of kerbin. everything else looks fine. The only change I made was basically what you have (just different orbit details...) I'll install .03 now, and also try your exact numbers.

When I launch, the ship is floating in space, with no visible planets. The map view shows the vessel as being located as far as I can tell) in the center of kerbin. everything else looks fine. The only change I made was basically what you have (just different orbit details...) I'll install .03 now, and also try your exact numbers.

I've been following this thread for a while and it seems quite a lot of other folks have been meeting the same problem. Try reverting to launch and trying again, I've been hearing.

I've been following this thread for a while and it seems quite a lot of other folks have been meeting the same problem. Try reverting to launch and trying again, I've been hearing.

tried that - same thing happened. reverted back to VAB, got odd visual glitches, and the engine animation was firing (like it does sometimes when there is an typo in an engine config or module).

Been trying this for the last 20 minutes. Haven't once tripped the glitch. For those experiencing troubles, please post a mod list and a KSP.log.

Release 0.0.3 is officially posted.

https://github.com/BryceSchroeder/Kopernicus/releases/

- Fixed bug preventing reparenting of stock bodies

- Fixed bug where stock biomes could not be overridden

- Added code to sort bodies in R&D center by maximum distance from parent body

Awesome. Can't wait until we have working PQS mods. The current Kittopiatech seems to have issues with trying to apply some mods, especially mods that aren't naturally in the template body. Like VoronoiCraters.

Hrm, I may be doing something wrong but biomes are still seeming to be replaced on stock bodies. Is there a new way to specify biomes?

Grab the current release. I uploaded it right before I made this post.

https://github.com/BryceSchroeder/Kopernicus/releases/tag/pre-alpha-04

Check out this example for overwriting Eeloo's biomes.

{
@Body[Eeloo]
{
@Properties
{
// Provide a biome map for Eeloo (drop game data prefix, drop extension)
biomeMap = KopernicusExamples/EelooBiomes/biomes

// Provide the definitions
Biomes
{
// Ice sheets are the white on the map
Biome
{
name = Ice Sheets
value = 1.0
color = 1,1,1,1
}

// Rifts are the black of the map
Biome
{
name = Rifts
value = 1.25
color = 0,0,0,1
}
}
}
}
}

Here is the biome map I used for this module manager patch:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/BryceSchroeder/Kopernicus/master/Pre%20Alpha/prealpha3/GameData/KopernicusExamples/EelooBiomes/biomes.png

Edited by Teknoman117