[0.90] TestFlight [0.4.6.1][04FEB15] -Configurable, extensible, parts research & reliability system

Agathorn

What are would you like to see focused on next  

73 members have voted

1. 1. What are would you like to see focused on next

• Improving the GUI and Player Experience
    • Adding new Core Failure modules
    • Adding configs to enable TestFlight with all stock parts
    • Adding configs to enable TestFlight with popular part packs

v0.4.0 Experimental 1

However, despite it being a nearly complete rewrite, from a user's perspective not much should change. Aside form some minor differences in reliability rates based on flight data (IE how much flight data = how much reliability) and the fact that failure checks are currently hard coded at 30 seconds, you should not see anything different.

RT-10 Solid Fuel Booster, from launch to burnout

Flight Data Multiplier set to 1.00: 293.40 du

Flight Data Multiplier set to 1.01: 121639.44 du

Flight Data Multiplier set to 1.02: 216459804.9?(not enough space)

Flight Data Multiplier set to 1.10: 22716127689...(truncated, but it rolled over many times)

All parts seem to be starting at 0% reliability, meaning everything fails at 30 seconds.

All parts seem to be starting at 0% reliability, regardless of the number of flights.

Flight data does not seem to be saved properly. For example, the RT-10 SRB seems to be starting with 293.40 du every flight after the first.

Minor annoyance: When acknowledging failures from the HUD, it remains the same size, meaning even if it's clear, there's a potentially large rectangle serving no purpose. Would be nice if it shrank down to a maximum needed size when cleared.

Edited by razark

RT-10 Solid Fuel Booster, from launch to burnout

Flight Data Multiplier set to 1.00: 293.40 du

Flight Data Multiplier set to 1.01: 121639.44 du

Flight Data Multiplier set to 1.02: 216459804.9?(not enough space)

Flight Data Multiplier set to 1.10: 22716127689...(truncated, but it rolled over many times)

All parts seem to be starting at 0% reliability, meaning everything fails at 30 seconds.

All parts seem to be starting at 0% reliability, regardless of the number of flights.

Flight data does not seem to be saved properly. For example, the RT-10 SRB seems to be starting with 293.40 du every flight after the first.

Minor annoyance: When acknowledging failures from the HUD, it remains the same size, meaning even if it's clear, there's a potentially large rectangle serving no purpose. Would be nice if it shrank down to a maximum needed size when cleared.

Is this with an existing save game or existing saved craft? If so can you try with a new save game and don't use prebuilt craft from before? I noticed some oddities if I loaded up craft I had previously built due to, I think, the fact that the data used is different now than what might ave been saved with the craft/game before.

Is this with an existing save game or existing saved craft? If so can you try with a new save game and don't use prebuilt craft from before?

Sorry, I should have mentioned it (I thought about and forgot). This was a new save, with new vehicles. I'm going to try shutting down and restarting the game, and if that doesn't fix things, I will try a new save as well.

Hmm well then. That's not good :) Definitely not what I was seeing. Might be part related. Try a simple rocket with just a single small liquidfuel tank and liquidfuel engine? That was my test vehicle.

I've started a new save again, and flight data appears to be saving again.

However, I'm still seeing all parts starting out at 0% reliability, and I haven't seen them increase at all. I've got about 5000 du in the small tanks and starting engine.

Definitely should be increasing. In fact they should be increasing a lot faster now than before because I tweaked the curves to front load it a lot. So you should start at no less than 50% and hit 75% in like one flight.

Can you look in GameData/TestFlight/Squad_FuelTanks.cfg and near the top tell me if you see this:

RELIABILITY_BODY
{
scope = kerbin_atmosphere
reliabilityCurve
{
key = 0 50
key = 311.7036 72.35439 0.000154673 0.000154673
key = 1243.905 91.21472 6.378564E-05 4.212264E-05
key = 10000 100 4.000178E-06 2.5E-05
}
}

If that looks right then would it be possible to put your save file and your log onto dropbox for me?

Can you look in GameData/TestFlight/Squad_FuelTanks.cfg and near the top tell me if you see this:

Yeah, that's what I have.

If that looks right then would it be possible to put your save file and your log onto dropbox for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1ym2dws75ghrrf/persistent.sfs?dl=0

Never used dropbox before, so let me know if that's what you need.

I do have a number of mods installed, as well. I'll try this on a clean install as soon as I get a chance, but it's going to be a day from now.

I ran some testing today.

I removed all my mods, and reinstalled this one and module manager. Same problem. Flight data was saved, but reliability did not increase above 0%.

I made a clean install, installed the mod, and had the same results.

If needed, I can upload the save files.

Dang it. I had to delete the files off the computer when I left work today. I'll create some new ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Created a new install of KSP. Downloaded fresh copy of the mod and module manager.

Here are the files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2smhpw02mbfnxf/test_flight_test.zip?dl=0

(I'm not sure if you need the KSP.log or the output_log.txt file.)

There are two test crafts. I used Test 1 for a single flight, and then Test 2 for three more flights.

I've started a new save again, and flight data appears to be saving again.

However, I'm still seeing all parts starting out at 0% reliability, and I haven't seen them increase at all. I've got about 5000 du in the small tanks and starting engine.

OK I have tracked this down and fixed it. Should be good to go in the next version. For now a workaround that *should* work is to build your craft in the VAB but don't launch from there. Go back to the Space Center, then go straight to the pad. I know thats a real pain, and won't work with something like KCT, so its just a workaround for now.

OK I have tracked this down and fixed it.

Awesome, and thank you. I'll try out the workaround tomorrow.

I don't know if it matters, but I did launch some of the flights from the Space Center screen, but that was after first building in the VAB and launching from there.

Awesome, and thank you. I'll try out the workaround tomorrow.

I don't know if it matters, but I did launch some of the flights from the Space Center screen, but that was after first building in the VAB and launching from there.

Well its certainly possible that it isn't a 100% workaround, though it seemed to be the case for me. That said I did just find another bug last night that had to do with the apparently random order in which KSP will start up PartModules, so there might have been that going on as well. I fixed that one too, so it will also be in the next release. Hopefully today. I'm trying to finish up work on a brand new feature before pushing a release.

Well its certainly possible that it isn't a 100% workaround, though it seemed to be the case for me.

Tried it, didn't work for me. :(

I fixed that one too, so it will also be in the next release. Hopefully today. I'm trying to finish up work on a brand new feature before pushing a release.

I look forward to it, whenever you get it out.

Experimental Release

https://github.com/jwvanderbeck/TestFlight/releases/tag/v0.4.0e2

This is an experimental release of a development branch. This version is released to allow people to test upcoming changes and should be considered unstable and buggy. Do not use an experimental release in any save you care about.

Highlights

• Brand new Editor Window allows you to inspect your parts while building.

xDKU0P6.png

In the VAB you will now see TestFlight on the AppLauncher. Click to open the Editor Window. The Editor Window will show you details on your parts so you can make decisions on what to use on your craft. It shows you the flight data and reliability of the part for all scopes with recorded flight data.

To use:

1. Open the window by clicking the TestFlight icon in the AppLauncher bar
  2. Mouse over parts in the parts bin on the left. As you mouse over parts, you will see that part's data in the window.
  3. Right click a part in the parts bin to **lock** the window to that part. Once locked, you can move your mouse wherever and it will continue to show the data from the locked part. Right click th same part again to **unlock** the window, or right click a new part to change the lock to that part.
  4. Left clicking a part to add it to the craft will automatically **unlock** the window if it is locked.

As with the main TestFlight window, you can click the "Lock Window" button to lock or unlock the window to the dock. If unlocked, you can position it wherever you want.

Change Log

• Fixed a bug that caused reliability to not load properly when going through the VAB with a craft
  • Fixed a bug causing "sub" modules to load before the Core and therefore never attaching properly
  • Added new Editor Window to see part's flight data and reliability while building

Edited by Agathorn

(Yes, it's me again.)

Well, I'm not seeing parts fail 30 seconds into the flight anymore. In fact, I'm not seeing parts fail at all.

All in-flight reliabilities read as 100%.

In flight:

zlmioDL.png

In VAB, after the flight:

RjM6GSA.png

and:

uC64ELI.png

Experimental Release

https://github.com/jwvanderbeck/TestFlight/releases/tag/v0.4.0e3

This is an experimental release of a development branch. This version is released to allow people to test upcoming changes and should be considered unstable and buggy. Do not use an experimental release in any save you care about.

Change Log

• Defer loading of prefab data to Start() in case KSP is being slothful. Should fix reliability not loading correctly in Flight.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully this fixes the issues. Please let me know if it does or doesn't. And if anyone else has any issues. I want to lock down the refactor so I can push forward on the implementation of the new system as soon as possible.

This one looks to be working!

(Mostly. The previously mentioned issue with Flight Data Multiplier seems to still be there, but I'd forgotten about that.)

I did notice something. One engine showed a 50% reliability in the VAB, but on the pad showed a 79%. This was the second flight with that engine, so it did have the 50% on the previous flight.

Edit:

The LV-909 engine shows 50% reliability for Kerbin Atmosphere with 3062.20 du while in the VAB. On the pad it shows 92.24%

It shows 58.86% for Kerbin Space with 69.80 du in the VAB.

I have not noticed this with other engines, but I haven't tried many yet.

Edited by razark

Well then thats darned odd.

I restarted the game, and now it is showing properly in the VAB.

I think your mod just likes messing with my mind...

Edit:

I restarted the game, and the reliability showed correctly. After a flight, it's showing the same thing, even though it did update on the pad.

Started at 92.24% in VAB and pad, after the flight it showed 92.24% in VAB but 94.56% on the pad.

Edited by razark