[WIP] KERES - Stockalike launch vehicle and spacecraft mod

Borklund

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the kind words!

--

Haven't had a lot of time to work on this lately but here's a brief update.

New 3.75m upper stage fuel tank design with a single engine. These two parts will be included in the first release, with more upper stage fuel tank and engine parts to be added later.

tHAXo0Ul.jpg

Different payload fairing designs. Functionally the payload fairing system will be similar to KW Rocketry but with additional variety across all diameters.

dvcGVNOl.jpg

I should be able to put in more time later this week and make some real progress, i.e. UV unwrapping and creating textures.

Edited by Borklund

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the kind words!

--

Haven't had a lot of time to work on this lately but here's a brief update.

New 3.75m upper stage fuel tank design with a single engine. These two parts will be included in the first release, with more upper stage fuel tank and engine parts to be added later.

http://i.imgur.com/tHAXo0Ul.jpg

Different payload fairing designs. Functionally the payload fairing system will be similar to KW Rocketry but with additional variety across all diameters.

http://i.imgur.com/dvcGVNOl.jpg

I should be able to put in more time later this week and make some real progress, i.e. UV unwrapping and creating textures.

All of my yes. Super hyped for this pack, dude; keep up the excellent work.

Made another nose cone (second one from the left), bringing the total up to five:

DZBMYuwl.jpg

Large and small solid rocket separation motors:

Oh98TR6l.jpg

Redid the now 1.875m (was 2m) diameter strap-on liquid rocket booster. It's all one part (except for the nose cone). I'll eventually make a 1.875m-2.5m adapter/interstage fairing but for the first release it's just meant to be used as a strap-on booster.

mIqpmoLl.jpg

A couple of different launch vehicles using the parts I have created thus far:

3HPU2Pyl.jpg

9FO021Pl.jpg

vER5hA0l.jpg

I think that's all the parts that will be in the first release. Now there's nothing left to do but learn how to create textures and then do it.

Keep up the good work.

Will you make the payloads as well?

Yes, everything alluded to in this picture. I'm not going to try to do everything at once and so I'm starting with what makes sense to me; large launch vehicle parts.

Wow good work!

But how do you do such images, are the Rendered? Where do you do this?

Thanks! Daishi already sort of answered the second part for me but yes, rendered in 3ds max with mental ray.

Edited by Borklund

What will the approximate payload capacities of the shown configurations be?

Good question. I haven't made any config files yet, but I will soon. I intend to balance the parts in line with stock KSP as long as it makes sense. These first few parts will have a great amount of thrust and carry a lot of propellant, so I imagine that the example launch vehicles I showed off would be quite capable.

Good question. I haven't made any config files yet, but I will soon. I intend to balance the parts in line with stock KSP as long as it makes sense. These first few parts will have a great amount of thrust and carry a lot of propellant, so I imagine that the example launch vehicles I showed off would be quite capable.

I think they might then become too powerful when used with FAR - so powerful, in fact, that they wouldn't be useful at all. I have been thinking about a project using ModuleManager that could fix this, by adding a paralell to hydrogen. I'm thinking of calling it CryoFuel, to keep with the theme of ill-defined resource types.

I think they might then become too powerful when used with FAR - so powerful, in fact, that they wouldn't be useful at all. I have been thinking about a project using ModuleManager that could fix this, by adding a paralell to hydrogen. I'm thinking of calling it CryoFuel, to keep with the theme of ill-defined resource types.

So don't use FAR with these rockets? I don't understand the objection.

What Bomoo said, more or less. I'm not going to take into account how other mods affect part balance. I'm not familiar with FAR so I have no idea what you're talking about, but if it's a problem then if anyone is willing to provide optional FAR friendly config files I'd put them in the release thread, when it comes time for that. That's a problem for later however, as nothing is even in-game yet.

Edited by Borklund

Can't wait to try these parts out! They look fantastic so far. Yeah Borklund I don't get what he meant either. You don't have to balance any parts for FAR... As long as your parts are balanced in regards to stock parts then it'll work fine w/ FAR provided the aerodynamic info is made. That's just adding a CFG and someone will do it pretty quickly as these parts are going to be a must have for many players out there when it drops.

• 2 weeks later...
Seems this mod is dead...... It's a shame..... Was really looking forward to it;.;....

You're not serious right? Borklund posted on August 14th? Since when does two week without an update mean a dead mod? Maybe he has real life things? Vacation? Doing stuff he isn't willing to share? What makes you think this mod is dead other than a lack a patience?

Seems this mod is dead...... It's a shame..... Was really looking forward to it;.;....

...seriously? For a project this ambitious, run by one guy doing everything, a little bit of silence means its dead? :huh:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.