[WIP] KERES - Stockalike launch vehicle and spacecraft mod

Borklund

You know, LRBs are good and all, but some folks might want cheaper options, namely, SRBs. Not me, because I consider SRBs as anything other than boosters to assist in launch a bad idea.

SRBs are actually just as expensive to use IRL as LRBs are, but they're cheaper to develop.

Actually, it depends. LRBs can be more expensive if there's an expensive engine in play. Large SRBs can also generally be recovered, while for LRBs, it's rarely the case (though Soviets had an idea to make it work, Zenit 1 was supposed to soft-land). In general, I think that solids are cheaper per m/s, especially smaller ones.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Those engine models look awesome. So much want.

Thanks!

So err.... Pardon me for my impatience, but.... Is this still happening?

There may be an update in the near future. I've been busy with other things since my last post.

Edited by Borklund

Revised the plan for the mod a little bit, updated the OP. The first release will consist of launch vehicle parts and a 2.5m, 3 kerbal crew capsule and service module.

Here's a work in progress:

j8cXZK4l.jpg

Edited by Borklund

Thanks. I don't know that I can answer that question yet, other than to say that I will be smart about putting it together (texture atlases and the like). A good reference point might be something like Tantares, but I don't know if that's low or high RAM usage. If you're using Active Texture Management it likely won't matter anyway.

Thanks everyone. I figure I'll start texturing when I'm done modelling the capsule, that way I can start out small and work my way up to the bigger pieces. I haven't textured anything myself before so it'll be a bit of a challenge, but I'll get there eventually.

Also, what will the future be? Will it be something more like real rockets (as I can see from the upper stage, which reminds me one American design and the 3.75 rockets, reminding me currently under development super heavy Russian rockets "Amur" and "Yenisey") or something without orientation on real crafts?

I do know that Beale is working a lot on texture sharing for Tantares.

Yep, his texture tutorial will be very helpful too.

Also, what will the future be? Will it be something more like real rockets (as I can see from the upper stage, which reminds me one American design and the 3.75 rockets, reminding me currently under development super heavy Russian rockets "Amur" and "Yenisey") or something without orientation on real crafts?

The launch vehicle parts will be more like real rockets, but not replicas. I am drawing a lot of my inspiration from prospective Russian HLV designs and other launch vehicles like Angara, and Chinese launch vehicles and concepts as well. I'll put together a cohesive picture (render) when all the parts for the tentative first release are done. Imagine a 2m core with four strap-on 1.875m identical cores (much like the Angara-5), a 2.5m upper stage and a slightly larger fairing with launch abort system (similar to the Soyuz) for the crew capsule and service module. Then, after that - and this is presuming I ever get this far - I'll do 3.125m and 3.75m parts for much, much heavier launch vehicle configurations (shown in the renders in the album and on earlier pages).

I'm glad to see that this is still alive. The pod kinda looks like the Dragon 1, but still different. I really like how you make parts that are much like real rockets, but still different and with your own touch.

I love it I love it I love it! It kinda reminds me of Singularity Research Initiative, may it rest in peace. Although SRI was "futuristic" these parts look like they could have been in the early years of the SRI parts. Anyway very excited!

For anyone intrested who doesnt know this is SRI sadly it's dead and incomplete. If you want beg Daemoria to start it again but otherwise don't get too excited. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/69923-Singularity-Research-Initiative-dev-thread

Edited by sp1989

Thanks IGNOBIL!

I'm glad to see that this is still alive. The pod kinda looks like the Dragon 1, but still different. I really like how you make parts that are much like real rockets, but still different and with your own touch.

That's exactly what I intended to do, thank you :)

I love it I love it I love it! It kinda reminds me of Singularity Research Initiative, may it rest in peace. Although SRI was "futuristic" these parts look like they could have been in the early years of the SRI parts. Anyway very excited!

For anyone intrested who doesnt know this is SRI sadly it's dead and incomplete. If you want beg Daemoria to start it again but otherwise don't get too excited. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/69923-Singularity-Research-Initiative-dev-thread

Very kind words, but I am nowhere near that talented. While I don't like the sci-fi look of those parts, the workmanship and quality is second to none, and something to strive for.

--

Almost done with the capsule and service module. Made the aft end cone bit slightly longer. Also added ATV/HTV style engine nozzles, CST-100 style radiator panels and PPTS style solar panels.

jB9c2WKl.jpg

Another view:

3u3Mobcl.jpg

Might revisit the solar panels, make them taller (more Dragon-like) but I don't want the whole pod to look just like Dragon. Not sure yet.

Edited by Borklund

Hey, dude, nice to see you back! Was hoping my favourite WIP mod wasn't dead, and hurray!

I've got a request for you, however. And you may very well be doing this already, but if not, I'd like to request that you consider making the spacecraft parts (service module, pod, lander cabin, etc.) as modular and interchangeable with others as possible. That'll really make this mod huge and universally useful, I think - the ability to mix parts to make something other than a few limited prefabs. SDHI service module falls into the prefab trap a little bit with its service module, and KSO is almost nothing but prefabs, to give two examples. I'd also argue it makes it easier for you to work on in the long run, as all you have to do is make, for example, a few ATV payload module parts, stick them onto the existing service module, and poof, cargo vehicle. Wouldn't need to make a completely separate prefab service module just for the cargo vehicle, I mean, and it cuts down on memory footprint.

And solar panels - would you really need to work on these? There's already mods that have precisely the solar panels you intend to make, like Tantares (PPTS/Soyuz) and NearFuture (Orion/ATV). I think you could save some work there by referring users to those mods, but I absolutely understand if you wanted to make yours self-contained and craft the parts yourself.

Cheers, man, and, once again welcome back.

Edited by Bomoo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.