Put a confirmation of exit on alt-F4, or change alt-F5

Pretty obvious one that's been mentioned before but with three patches in a week I figure this is pretty easy to add to the next one.

Alt-F5 for quicksave right next to alt-F4 for quit without confirmation is not the brightest idea ever. A quit confirmation on alt-F4 or a change to the bind for a named quicksave seems almost too obvious to require suggesting, but... here we are.

More easily accomplished by swapping the keybind to ctrl+f5. alt+f4 is a windows keybind that force closes whatever you've got attention on. I don't think there IS a way to add a confirmation to it.

When a program is running it listens for windows messages (events) such as mouse clicks, keyboard input, etc. This is known as the message loop.

An application can choose to intercept and handle any events sent to it while it has the focus, or it can ignore them. In the case of alt-F4, the program can listen for it and handle it, or let it go and have the OS handle it.

Starcraft, for example, handles the alt-F4 input with a confirmation dialog for exit, and many editor programs of various kinds will prompt the user with an option to save their work when alt F4 is pressed. For now I have autohotkey set to deal with the issue, but not everyone is going to be comfortable using that.

Edited by allmhuran

Does your keyboard not have a gap between F4 and F5?

Mine has a slight gap, yes. But this isn't for me. As I said, I've already dealt with the problem using autohotkey anyway. I have, however, in the past pressed one when I meant to press the other, even with the gap, and I'm sure many other players do the same. Actually I know they do.... I've seen several comments about it both here and on reddit. It would simply be sensible to change things.

Yes, I am aware that you can remap the keys. The point is that it's not good design to map it there in the first place, thus I am suggesting a change to the default setup. And, just to be clear - for a third time - I have already solved this problem in my own game.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

This Alt-F4 quit confirmation really needs to be done. Yes, most desktop keyboards have a gap between the F4 and F5 keys, but my laptop doesn't; And neuroflatulence happens even then. @JPLRepo or @RoverDude, can you kick this up for the next patch/update please? It shouldn't be hard to do; StarCraft has a confirmation for Alt-F4 quit (after I started telling people typing in cheat codes in multiplayer to press Alt-F4 to enable cheat codes for MP :lol:)

Edited by StrandedonEarth

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.