[1.0.X]Engineering Based Tech Tree (with flight first option)

Probus

What mod(s) are a must in a Flight First Tech Tree?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What mod(s) are a must in a Flight First Tech Tree?

• B9 Aerospace
    • CSS - Component Space Shuttle
    • KAX - Kerbal Aircraft eXpansion
    • Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System
    • Mk2 Stock-a-like Expansion
    • OPT Space Plane Parts
    • QuizTech Aero Pack
    • Retro-Future Planes
    • SXT - Stock eXTension
    • Other - See my post

Thanks troyfawkes,

It looks like I am going to have to learn modulemanager to get this engineering tree reformated. Then there is the additional problem of manually changing all the node positions. Maybe not. I wonder if I could take the treeloader tree file and import it into a database, convert it and export it to a modulemanager file and a tech tree file in the new format. It will take some work, but I bet that is the easiest way to do it.

Any other ideas?

Hey Probus,

Right now this is what you've got:

NODE

{

name = newnode_6634

techID = LargeAntennas

pos = -2158,1175,-12

icon = ADVUNMANNED

cost = 250

title = Large Antennas

description = 100 GM range or above

anyParent = False

hideIfEmpty = False

parents = newnode_5865

PARTS

{

name = dishcomlar1

name = Dishomega2g

name = RTGigaDish1

name = RTGigaDish2

}

}

I think this is what it needs to look like at the end of the day, judging from CTT2.0 and what Nertea does with his part mods:

@TechTree

{

RDNode

{

id = LargeAntennas

title = Large Antennas

description = 100 GM range or above

cost = 250

hideEmpty = True

nodeName = newnode_6634

anyToUnlock = True

icon = ADVUNMANNED

pos = -2158,1175,-12

scale = 0.6

Parent

{

parentID = newnode_5865

lineFrom = TOP

lineTo = BOTTOM

}

}

}

@PART[dishcomlar1]

{

@TechRequired = LargeAntennas

}

@PART[Dishomega2g]

{

}

@PART[RTGigaDish1]

{

}

@PART[RTGigaDish2]

{

}

If that's the case, this might work (based on the newest version you have on the front page): https://jsfiddle.net/troyfawkes/h65ufdxp/

I included the regex I used for your / my reference. If the format works, you can either put your updates in that way or let me know what needs to be changed and I'll see what I can do? :)

Thanks troyfawkes! You just saved me a bunch of work with your regex-fu! I asked around at work today and they all said I needed to regex it. So I was gonna ask for your help and TA-DA!!! Already done.

Most excellent!

How much do you want to bet that there's a missing brace in there somewhere though? ;)

Also two things:

1) I have no idea what anyToUnlock = True means, but CTT2 has it in everything so I just kept it.

2) The Parents are all going to need a bit of manual work, I think, because they currently all have "lineFrom = TOP" and "lineTo = BOTTOM"

Beyond that, let me know if you need anything else / when everything's running so I can play it :D

Just an update - I've gotten the tree to load in KSP 1.0.2 but its lost all of its node dependencies (a lot of work to recreate) and I will have to reset all the icons (not a big deal). Hopefully if I have time I can get 'er done this weekend. If Troyfawkes can pull off another amazing feat of regex-fu and line up the dependencies, I can have this up and running even sooner. Fingers crossed!

I've just stopped my current play through as the stock tree has just gotten really stupid the further I go through. Will hold off playing KSP until this amazing mod is finished! Fingers crossed for a dev release to test soon!

Status Update.

Updated all the icons from generic to something close to what I want. I've read you can make your own icons, but I will wait on that.

All the dependencies are set close to what they were before. Fixed all the arrows pointing left. FYI your options are now LEFT, RIGHT, TOP, BOTTOM. I will fix the rest of the arrows later, functionally they work no matter which way the arrow is pointing.

Module manager seems to be working pretty well for distributing FASA parts around the tech tree, but its the only part mod i've tested so far.

For some reason it doesn't work with the "science only" option of career mode. It wants you to fork out funds to unlock the parts. Weird, but one problem at a time.

Getting closer to having a functional WIP 1.0.2 tree (early alpha-ish).

Edited by Probus

Hi what happens if I used this tree and some mods are not supported. Will the parts not show up, or show up in silly places.

I am talking about the following mods btw :P

*N Aviation Lights 3.7

*N K2 Command Pod 1.2.1

*N Kerbal Attachment System KAS 0.4.10 go to alt f12, cheats, and tick the not strict part rotation attachment thingy

*N KIS (Kerbal Inventory System) v1.1.1

*S Modular Rocket Systems LITE 1.6.2

*N Tarsier Space Technology with Galaxies V4.6

*N USI SoundingRockets 0.2.0

*N USI Survivability Pack SrvPack 0.3.0

(copied this from my notepad file listing all my mods :P .... N means not supported.)

thx Waerth

Hi what happens if I used this tree and some mods are not supported. Will the parts not show up, or show up in silly places.

I am talking about the following mods btw :P

*N Aviation Lights 3.7

*N K2 Command Pod 1.2.1

*N Kerbal Attachment System KAS 0.4.10 go to alt f12, cheats, and tick the not strict part rotation attachment thingy

*N KIS (Kerbal Inventory System) v1.1.1

*S Modular Rocket Systems LITE 1.6.2

*N Tarsier Space Technology with Galaxies V4.6

*N USI SoundingRockets 0.2.0

*N USI Survivability Pack SrvPack 0.3.0

(copied this from my notepad file listing all my mods :P .... N means not supported.)

thx Waerth

Waerth,

That is what I am working on now. Making sure all the stock nodes are represented in the tree and all the parts will show up. But as you say, they may be in a silly place. I have to make all the changes in a text editor, so it is tedious.

Yes I have noticed the new system with module manager. I was thinking about experimenting myself. But will now wai till yours come out and possibly plug in the mods you missed on myself.

W

Any status update? I am eagerly awaiting this tech tree

I too am now obsessed and checking the forum every few hours. Take your time of course... but it will be your fault if my head explodes!

I thought I would give you guys a status update. The second round of testing on the tree has started today. Those of you signed up to help test the tree should be getting a PM with a new link. Getting close to being able to open it up to the dev community for feedback. 4 or 5 more nodes.

Thanks again for those of you who have helped out or are actively working verifying part packs.

Quick status update: Added Atomic Age, Deadly Reentry, Modular Rocket Systems, SpaceY Heavy Lifters. If you'd like to give it a try I put up a download link.

With the basis of creating the KW flyer to unlock the flight tree, will it be doable with FAR enabled?

I have not been able to get my original flyer to fly with FAR. Only with stock (and that was pretty hard). This may be because:

1) The 30 part limitation when starting career mode. As you can see from any picture of the flyer it has to use a lot of parts to get it right.

2) The bumpiness of the starting runway makes it hard to get into the air. I had to put wheels on it just stop it from spinning, but I've noticed some versions of the flyer had rudimentary wheels.

Right now you are not forced to recreate the KW flyer, it is just an option. If you can catch it on a hop you can get enough science to move on to biplanes (or just skip them both and go to the stock jet engine node).

I will try to talk to Ferram to get his opinion on the aerodynamics. I will also talk to the creators of Firespitter to see if they can build an engine/prop setup for the Wright flyer.

Tried to play with this tech tree. Unfortunately, but it don't play well with hard mode: no science points at start plus no doable contracts what give science points after completion ("Launch first vessel" don't give science at hard mode, "Escape from atmosphere" and "Gathering science data from Kerbin" impossible to complete with starting parts).

Tried to play with this tech tree. Unfortunately, but it don't play well with hard mode: no science points at start plus no doable contracts what give science points after completion ("Launch first vessel" don't give science at hard mode, "Escape from atmosphere" and "Gathering science data from Kerbin" impossible to complete with starting parts).

Thanks for the feedback Canis. I have been testing in normal mode. I've fixed that for hard mode.

I can't believe I was off by only 1 tech point.

Enjoy.

Edited by Probus