[1.0.X]Engineering Based Tech Tree (with flight first option)

Probus

What mod(s) are a must in a Flight First Tech Tree?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What mod(s) are a must in a Flight First Tech Tree?

• B9 Aerospace
    • CSS - Component Space Shuttle
    • KAX - Kerbal Aircraft eXpansion
    • Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System
    • Mk2 Stock-a-like Expansion
    • OPT Space Plane Parts
    • QuizTech Aero Pack
    • Retro-Future Planes
    • SXT - Stock eXTension
    • Other - See my post

Quick note: You have Procedural Fairings listed as both tested and awaiting testing. I'm assuming one of them was supposed to be Procedural Parts, but I'm not sure.

Thanks Acemcbean. I updated it. Neither were supposed to be out of testing yet. They are close, but no banana.

Well, Probus, I guess I may have to put off installing for a while! Procedural Fairings/Parts are some of the most important mods to me ;)

Guess I'll just have to go back to messing about in BD Armory till you finish testing them! Anyways, this mod looks fantastic and I defnitely will be using this when the procedural mods are implemented.

Oh, I cant take it anymore! Downloading now! Hope to have a great KSP career ahead of me!

EDIT: Also, by the way, what did you mean by "The 1.0.2 tech tree will support the following part packs (when they become compatible with 1.0.2):" even though some of the part packs listed are 1.0.2 compatible

Edited by Acemcbean

Oh, I cant take it anymore! Downloading now! Hope to have a great KSP career ahead of me!

EDIT: Also, by the way, what did you mean by "The 1.0.2 tech tree will support the following part packs (when they become compatible with 1.0.2):" even though some of the part packs listed are 1.0.2 compatible

I meant that if a part pack is not compable with 1.0.2 I will probably put it off until it is compatible.

Also, You can play with Procedural Fairings/Parts now, I just haven't finished tweaking them and their upgrades into the tree yet. For the first few tech levels you should be good though. "Awaiting Test" just means the part packs were put in the tree in an earlier rev of KSP but haven't been tested with the latest rev of the program.

Edited by Probus

Added Surface Lights, Procedural Parts & Fairings - just for you Acemcbean :) Station Parts Expansion and several new nodes to accommodate the new station parts. Gonna try to get TAC life support done today also.

I've had some real problems with the tech tree. I'm sure its all visual, but the nodes arent dispersed properly (I think). Many of the nodes overlap, are spread out over ridiculous distances, and/or are empty. The last issue is not really a "bug," but rather me not having a mod installed (Interstellar, I think). Lastly, I was only able to start flying through some SRB trickery and pure luck, and I suggest maybe adding a propellor to the very first node instead of the second. All in all, though, everything is technically "Functional" and the only problems I have right now are aesthetic or balance-related.

EDIT: Oh, and I would like to add that I am playing in the "Science" mode, as I usually all but ignore funds in the normal Career. Not sure if that is the source of any issues, but thought it would be good for you to know!

Edited by Acemcbean

I've had some real problems with the tech tree. I'm sure its all visual, but the nodes arent dispersed properly (I think). Many of the nodes overlap, are spread out over ridiculous distances, and/or are empty. The last issue is not really a "bug," but rather me not having a mod installed (Interstellar, I think). Lastly, I was only able to start flying through some SRB trickery and pure luck, and I suggest maybe adding a propellor to the very first node instead of the second. All in all, though, everything is technically "Functional" and the only problems I have right now are aesthetic or balance-related.

EDIT: Oh, and I would like to add that I am playing in the "Science" mode, as I usually all but ignore funds in the normal Career. Not sure if that is the source of any issues, but thought it would be good for you to know!

A screenshot would really help out. It could be you have another tech tree trying to load from one of your mods.

The old tech tree used to start you with a propeller but there is a bug now in "Science Only" mode that if you set a node to 0 tech cost, it tries to make you pay funds for the parts. Which, of course, you can't do if you are in Science mode. :huh:

I've moved all the Wright Flyer parts to the start node for you to test (when you have Firespitter installed). Let me know if you like it better that way.

Oh, thank you very much! I have an extra, fresh install ready to test with! I'll get a screenshot for you soon, too.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, though it would be helpful to have a few more KWright parts in the start node, it is technically un-needed. I went for realism, trying to ONLY get science from flights without just plopping a command pod down. All in all, the tech tree is fully functional, and ATM, I would love to have more tooltips and Mod-Specific nodes. A lot of nodes that I can clearly tell to be for Interstellar (like fusion reactors, Exotic Matter storage) do not have any such tooltip.

Edited by Acemcbean

Okay, I got you the screenshots you asked for.

Aviation Node is Overlapping

Stability Node is Overlapping

Advanced Exploration is being covered up by a large amount of lines

Mysteriously, I could unlock this node from the beginning (Part of Intersteller, so it is empty for me)

Fuel Systems Node partially overlaps two other nodes

I hope this helps you see what I am seeing and begin to fix these bugs! It was heard to screenshot pictures of nodes that were seperated in weird ways, but I do recall that the "Robotics" node in the top left corner is connected to Actuators and Experimental Sciences, both of which are a good distance away.

P.S. Am currently on a Self-Imposed challenge of Circumnavigating Kerbin through a Polar Course via Bi-plane. I doubt I will make it, but I'm already a good ways in and even at its worst, I can still technically DRIVE the plane there ;)

EDIT: I had just loaded up KSP, and I think my save file got corrupted due to a Satan Kraken creating a bunch of NaN errors. Will try again later, but this is just a quick peek at the results

Edited by Acemcbean

Lighter than air, AC, rockets, wheel, engine (locomotive), and electric power all evolve in step with each other. A tier that does not have these evolving in step looses elements that can be faulted.

Okay, I got you the screenshots you asked for.

Awesome Acemcbean! I see the problem. One or more of your mods is loading parts of another tech tree over the Engineering Tech Tree. If you've followed the instructions in the readme file and this is still occuring, then I will double-check the instructions against the latest build of the tree.

The release copy will fix this problem automatically using Module Manager. During development you have to follow the instructions in the readme.

Edit: Yep, need to update the readme file.

Edited by Probus

Well, just from a quick look, it appears that Universal Storage has some kind of dependency on Community Tech Tree. Will see if US will run without CTT, but would also like to update on my Kerbin Circumnavigation!

At this point, I have given up on the notion that I have enough fuel to actually circumnavigate, though I may as well keep the title. The mission has been changed to a trip to the North Pole, and I am about 1/4 of the way there.

This is the Iron 7 Bi-Plane, Piloted by Bill Kerman

This was Bill showing off at the end of Day 1, and I would like to remind him off his adventures clipping into the wing

Well, that was the results of Day 1. Off to begin Day 2 shortly!

EDIT: It also appears that Atomic Age depends on CTT.

EDIT: EDIT: Yep, CTT was the problem. The Tech Tree is all SQUEAKY clean now! Thanks so much for the help, Probus! Rep for you!!

Edited by Acemcbean

Well, just from a quick look, it appears that Universal Storage has some kind of dependency on Community Tech Tree. Will see if US will run without CTT, but would also like to update on my Kerbin Circumnavigation!

At this point, I have given up on the notion that I have enough fuel to actually circumnavigate, though I may as well keep the title. The mission has been changed to a trip to the North Pole, and I am about 1/4 of the way there.

This is the Iron 7 Bi-Plane, Piloted by Bill Kerman

This was Bill showing off at the end of Day 1, and I would like to remind him off his adventures clipping into the wing

Well, that was the results of Day 1. Off to begin Day 2 shortly!

EDIT: It also appears that Atomic Age depends on CTT.

EDIT: EDIT: Yep, CTT was the problem. The Tech Tree is all SQUEAKY clean now! Thanks so much for the help, Probus! Rep for you!!

That is a beautiful bi-plane. Sounds like a fun trip. I would never have thought to do something like that.

I have updated the readme file in the zip with new instructions. Can't decide on which part pack to start on next...

I finally converted the tech tree to use module manager completely. It turned out to be pretty simple after a chat with Nathan Kell. Oh, and I also added the BAE parts. :) Now I have parts for all my 5, 7.5, and 10 meter nodes.

I would totally suggest integrating Contract Configurator, and specifically make your own Contract Pack for it! I feel like that would be a lot of fun :P

After I get all the part packs integrated, I have a new project I am going to work on. It is based around realistic part packs. Each node of the "Tech" tree will open a new rocket configuration. For example you may start with Mercury-Redstone then Mercury-Atlas then Gemini, and on and on until you reach Space X and modern rockets. If I have time I would like to do one for each space faring country.

Hey probus, if it is possible could you post a list of mods that are sorta crucial to the tree working?

so something like

Crucial Mods (wont get very far or very very hard to get to end game)

Highly Recommended (fill out the tech tree in unique ways (like firespitter maybe?))

Recommended (fill out the tree more)

Compatible

Non-compatible

Hey probus, if it is possible could you post a list of mods that are sorta crucial to the tree working?

so something like

Crucial Mods (wont get very far or very very hard to get to end game)

Highly Recommended (fill out the tech tree in unique ways (like firespitter maybe?))

Recommended (fill out the tree more)

Compatible

Non-compatible

Will do. Thanks!

So.. any word on compatibility and/or save-breaking-ness of the move to module manager? I've been under a rock for the past few days, so to speak, and haven't downloaded the update (or continued my flight. Sorry Bill for leaving you with no snacks for days!).

So.. any word on compatibility and/or save-breaking-ness of the move to module manager? I've been under a rock for the past few days, so to speak, and haven't downloaded the update (or continued my flight. Sorry Bill for leaving you with no snacks for days!).

After a few failed attempts and some help from Nathan Kell, got it working perfectly with MM. Yay! \o/

Added a new poll to help me decide which Aero mods to include first. Please vote if you are interested in the "Flight" part of the tech tree.

Also, I am looking for a co-developer to help me flesh out the flight nodes. If you are interested, drop me a PM.

I would be interested to help with sorting the nodes, but I'm not sure I could help on a reliable schedule. If that's okay with you, then I'm all in. Otherwise, I'll just stick to searching for bugs ;)

Will you add support for Tantares?

Yes I will clivman. First I have to do some work on the flight first side of the tree, but I've put it on the list.