Chart of money over time

I am having a hard time keeping track of profit and loss (Did I have 80k before this flight or 100k? Was that a loss or a gain for me?), plus it is always nice to see how well you are doing compared to before. I think there should be a chart of profit/loss over time available to you. Maybe launch events as lil ticks on the graph.

Replace "time" with "number of contracts completed" and I'm okay with it. Because my science trip to Jool might cause a really long flat line on the company's annual charts.

Or maybe we just need a way to sort Archives tab based on things like profit, length, contractor, time and so on?

• 3 years later...
9 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Or, maybe, simply...

CAREER STATS. 

Covering as many variables as possible.

This, and possibly exportable as a xls file.

This is probably more mod territory than stock, but I can see this being awesome. 

Allow it to track every event in the game, contract/career related, and have it log an event every x days, so you can track over time.   Then allow for copious filtering to see the data you want.

Have it's format open, so other mods, like stage recovery mods, can export their data to it, so you can track specific influences on your funds. 

Also things like Ore mined, fuel refined, etc.  With the right filters, you could track if an ISRU station is actually worth the effort, for example. 

23 minutes ago, Jas0n said:

I think a stats chart might make more sense, because there will be big stretches of nothing happening for years when you time warp for years.

Thats why you would have filters.  Also, time stamps would be user defined, so you could forego them altogether.  But events other than dates would have their own time stamps too, so maybe having time stamps for the sake of it might be useless/redundant. 

I want charts on my desk by.... IDK, but this is a good idea. Also might be cool to allow expandability into other things. Like altitude. Or G-force. Or velocity.

+1 yes to charts.

In fact, wouldnt it be fairly trivial to add a whole bunch of charts?

I'd like to be able to, immediately after achieving orbit, see charts of height/speed/acceleration/mass etc. of the launch.

Charts recording completed contracts w/profits+expenditures etc.

Tables of my active vessels including how much each costs, how much dV each one as etc. etc.

And more besides.

Edited by p1t1o

9 hours ago, p1t1o said:

+1 yes to charts.

In fact, wouldnt it be fairly trivial to add a whole bunch of charts?

Just a friendly word of advice (and this applies to a lot more than KSP modding) but never assume that something is easy until you've tried to do it yourself.

In case you do want to try writing a plug-in, the guide below is a good place to start

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

On 25/08/2017 at 8:54 PM, TheRagingIrishman said:

Just a friendly word of advice (and this applies to a lot more than KSP modding) but never assume that something is easy until you've tried to do it yourself.

In case you do want to try writing a plug-in, the guide below is a good place to start

Technically, I only asked if it would be trivial...

Its usually best to assume that a comment is being made in good faith, otherwise one generates needless friction.

This is a forum for suggestions, its not the place to say "if you want it, do it yourself."

On 7/26/2014 at 6:58 PM, Algiark said:

Replace "time" with "number of contracts completed" and I'm okay with it. Because my science trip to Jool might cause a really long flat line on the company's annual charts.

This is exactly why Business Finance is not as simple as basic accounting (and also why this is a good practical introduction to it, just like operations in KSP are a good intro to rocket science and orbital mechanics)

How do you treat a mission with multiple contracts? A contract to build a Mun station might appear to be lossgiving, unless you take into account that the same vessel cashed in on a Kerbin Station contract first and launched two contract probes upon reaching Mun orbit.

Return-on-investment calculations might be interesting as well. Aside from real cost (your time, kerbin time) there's also opportunity cost. A five year mission takes up a contract slot that could have been used for two dozen short low-income contracts. But would that have been worth your time?

There's so much opportunity at so many levels for this, I'd rather see this as a mod that produces raw data and leaves the analysis up to the user, who can then do the most amazing things with it in the software of their choice. Excel, Jupyter... up to them!

Could be wrong, haven't used it yet, but I believe the Kaptain's Log mod by @linuxgurugamer does pretty much this: records, among lots of other things, any change in funds, science or rep. Not sure how easy or otherwise it'd be to turn the data it exports into an actual graph mind you, but it would give you the information. (It'd still be a nifty addition to the stock game though.)

Edited by Hotaru

5 hours ago, Hotaru said:

Could be wrong, haven't used it yet, but I believe the Kaptain's Log mod by @linuxgurugamer does pretty much this: records, among lots of other things, any change in funds, science or rep. 

Correct.  

5 hours ago, Hotaru said:

Not sure how easy or otherwise it'd be to turn the data it exports into an actual graph mind you,

Didn't messed with this part yet. But I don't see why would be any trouble. As soon the data is exported (CVS and/or HTML) is just standard Spreadsheet Fu, I guess.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.