[1.8.x - 1.12.x] Salyut Stations (Salyut/Almaz) - 8-26-21

raidernick

omg, almaz *-* downloading it right now!

btw, would it be possible to make a separate pack to use with the stock parts? i said in a previous post, but i've tought of another thing that it could be used for, Kosmos TKS... would be perfect to have the antennas and the docking port from your Soyuz in it (it would also be awesome to build a pod with Mk 1-2 pod and SDHI service module, but with Soyuz 7K panels, antennas and docking port :D)

and before i forget, thanks for the great stations (Skylab included) and Soyuz! :D

btw, would it be possible to make a separate pack to use with the stock parts? i said in a previous post, but i've tought of another thing that it could be used for, Kosmos TKS... would be perfect to have the antennas and the docking port from your Soyuz in it (it would also be awesome to build a pod with Mk 1-2 pod and SDHI service module, but with Soyuz 7K panels, antennas and docking port :D)

I don't know if I am going to separate the packs. I am however planning on doing a TKS as it was an integral part of the Almaz program.

sweet! :D

but about the separate pack idea, the idea would be just a small kit to make a "Mk1-2 7K" pod, and since there is SDHI there would be no real need to make anything else for it :) (unless you wanted to make your own pod pack for Mk1-2, of course)

right now i use your Soyuz solar panel and Bobcat's Soyuz docking port for my small pod needs, along with SDHI SM and a KOSMOS small engine. i also use the docking port for my KOSMOS TKS and Bobcat's Mir (i quite preffer the soyuz one over the Mir original one... i also use your Salyut docking port instead of Bobcat's original Mir port)

but it's just an idea :)

btw, two more questions, do you plan on keeping just this version of the Soyuz solar panels or do you plan on getting the Soyuz one with the antennas on the tip like the one in the previous version too? (they were my favourite to be honest :P) and for the TKS, if you make it, would you make the docking port a separate part or merged to the main body as in Salyut 1/4 and Soyuz/Progress Orbital module? if you make a separate part then this idea i gave before would be pointless :)

I removed the version with the antennas to save memory/RAM by having one set of panels used for everything. If I put the antennas back I would need 4 panels instead of 2 because Salyut 1 didn't have the antennas on the panels. I hate even having 2 panels in the first place when they are 99% identical. But because they aren't symmetrical they HAVE to be 2 separate parts.

I don't know if I am making the docking port a separate piece. I try to combine as many parts into a single model as possible. This reduces the memory usage significantly because having the docking port as part of the parent model might add 500kb of memory, having it as it's own separate model might add 5mb.

to be honest i thought about that issue with the panels too, i would like to see it but i can perfectly see the limitation in doing it :)

as for the docking port, i wouldn't mind using extra 5mb just to have that docking port, but that's my oppinion, i can't say for the others of course, that's why i gave the separate pack for the stock pod idea :)

speaking of memory usage, i have no idea what could be causing this (there are no error in the logs), but i've compared KOSMOS and your Salyut and Almaz stations, under half res textures and beautiful rendering, KOSMOS was pretty fast, while Salyut got a little lag, and Almaz got way heavy on FPS. i've had to reduce to quarter and fastest settings in order to run them both fast. they indeed use less memory, but the graphic lag is very noticeable even in VAB :(

An extra 5mb in the gamdata folder doesn't equate to an extra 5mb of RAM usage, it is likely significantly more than that. As for the lag, Kosmos is very low poly, an entire station might have 5000-10000 triangles. My Almaz main body has over 360,000. On lower end machines it is likely to cause some FPS issues. Notice the size of the Almaz model file, it is ~25mb.

On a side note, I don't get any performance issues even with Almaz once the animations are deployed. Before they are deployed maybe a 5fps decrease(I am working on finding out the cause of this but it seems to occur on a random basis).

Edited by raidernick

UPDATE V0.90.5

-Fixed FPS lag by replacing all animations with firespitter.dll, this is now a dependency

-Updated all craft files for new animations

-THIS IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH PREVIOUS VERSIONS! YOU MUST COMPLETELY REMOVE OLD VERSION BEFORE INSTALLING THIS!

I removed the version with the antennas to save memory/RAM by having one set of panels used for everything. If I put the antennas back I would need 4 panels instead of 2 because Salyut 1 didn't have the antennas on the panels. I hate even having 2 panels in the first place when they are 99% identical. But because they aren't symmetrical they HAVE to be 2 separate parts.

I don't know if I am making the docking port a separate piece. I try to combine as many parts into a single model as possible. This reduces the memory usage significantly because having the docking port as part of the parent model might add 500kb of memory, having it as it's own separate model might add 5mb.

You know you can use a single texture on multiple models, right? An additional model doesn't really add much to memory usage. Additional high-res textures, however, very much do.

You know you can use a single texture on multiple models, right? An additional model doesn't really add much to memory usage. Additional high-res textures, however, very much do.

No I had no idea I can use a single texture on multiple models!!!! It's not like I haven't been doing that on ALL of my other parts already to save memory space *gasp*! You really think I wouldn't know this? No I'm not adding it, accept it, get over it whatever you need to tell yourself it's all ok. Despite what you may think you WILL survive without that antenna, stay strong.

Edited by raidernick

• 2 weeks later...

The animations are broken as of 0.90 until firespitter is updated. Anything with a solar panel will still work but any other animated part won't. If firespitter isn't updated in a relatively short amount of time I will see about trying to move back to the stock animation module.

one question, if i launch a station now with the animations not working, will i be able to use them later or is it best not to launch anything which uses firespitter for now?

btw, i'm not sure if dragon01 was also looking for the antennas, but i had understood that already, just in case you mixed us two :)

UPDATE V0.91.1

-Updated dependencies for 0.90, fixed version of firespitter

-Fixed z-fighting on Salyut 1/4

-Made docking ports a separate part for Soyuz and Salyut 1

-Added alternate solar panels for Soyuz with antenna

-Added manufacturer icon for new sorting system

-Updated craft files, replace your old ones

Edited by raidernick

UPDATE V0.90

-Added replica of Almaz 3/5 military space station

-Added film return capsule for Almaz stations

-Added craft file for Almaz stations

-Added connected living space module to all parts that should have it

http://i.imgur.com/fecRW80.png

http://i.imgur.com/ANk4pIU.png

http://i.imgur.com/YiuuD6E.png

http://i.imgur.com/xqRidIg.png

Does this version work with .25?

Was it released when 0.25 was out? Does the kerbalstuff website say 0.25 on the version for that particular release? Why would you want an old broken version anyway? The animations in that version cause titanic amounts of lag. Just putting it out there now that I don't support old versions of my mods.

Edited by raidernick

Was it released when 0.25 was out? Does the kerbalstuff website say 0.25 on the version for that particular release? Why would you want an old broken version anyway? The animations in that version cause titanic amounts of lag. Just putting it out there now that I don't support old versions of my mods.

Yeah, I was just asking because I am choosing to wait until more of my favorite mods have updated to .90 before updating myself.

The Almaz looks great!

It's hard to believe that for a while, the Soviets (and for that matter, the US) thought that a MANNED SPACE STATION would be the best option for what would become a routine reconnaissance platform. Considering CORONA first flew in, what, '59, flying such an expense piece of hardware of a space station in the late 70's seemed ridiculous. Shouldn't complain though, Almaz brought us Salyut which brought us Mir and Zvezda for the ISS.

since i asked for separate parts i feel like i should share the reason i asked for the parts in the first place, here's my latest creation :D

i don't have a name for it yet, but i might call it Bolsotiger or something like it (Brazilian right-wing internal joke)

screenshot58.png

screenshot59.png

screenshot62.png

screenshot63.png

mods:

FASA Apollo Antena

your Soyuz rocket, docking port and solar panels

Realchute radial chute

SDHI

HGR Soyuz LES

and a rescaled KOSMOS engine

i also have a version using FASA Apollo pod instead of the Mk1-2

thanks for your mods raidernick! :)

and of course, this applies to other modders too :)

Edited by JoseEduardo

UPDATE V0.91.5.1

-Removed broken remotetech module manager config, from now on this will be maintained separately to avoid compatibility issues on update.

If you want to download the mm config check the original post or go here(the link will never change): https://www./?kq0l7fm1g5qjl59

-Updated battery values and craft files for stations

idk why, but i've been experiencing this since the previous version, the Soyuz payload shroud freezes the game for a while, be it loading a full craft, a subassembly or picking it from the part list, and it's just the Soyuz payload shroud, other shrouds are fine...

i've tried checking for errors in debug and no error shown up, i have no idea on what to show ya, but if this helps, this is the last crash log, it happened when i loaded your Soyuz 7K-T .craft file

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58212317/2015-01-06_230106.rar

idk why, but i've been experiencing this since the previous version, the Soyuz payload shroud freezes the game for a while, be it loading a full craft, a subassembly or picking it from the part list, and it's just the Soyuz payload shroud, other shrouds are fine...

i've tried checking for errors in debug and no error shown up, i have no idea on what to show ya, but if this helps, this is the last crash log, it happened when i loaded your Soyuz 7K-T .craft file

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58212317/2015-01-06_230106.rar

You aren't the first person to tell me this. Unfortunately myself and several others tested it and it doesn't occur, but then for some people it happens. There are no errors in the log or any reason for it to be happening. It is just a part, no animations, 1 primitive collider object, no plugin dependencies. There is no reason it should be doing this but for some people it does. I suspect it is an incompatibility with some mod but I can't see how that would be possible that it would only be occurring with just that part and not every other part.

I would be grateful for anyone who can find out why it is doing this as I can't reproduce it and I've had others try with no success either.

Edited by raidernick

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.