[0.90.0] Fine Print vSTOCK'D - BETA RELEASE!!! (December 15)

Arsonide

Will the upcoming changes help with some of the more ridiculous satellite orbit contracts? I got one (can't get the orbital parameters until after accepting) that wanted me to put a satellite in retrograde orbit around the sun outside of Jool. Total delta-v was over 26km/s. Not impossible, but pretty tough for the reward being offered.

If anything, Molniya orbits get more ridiculous. However, I did add more reasonable possibilities (equatorial, polar, geosynchronous) and they now take up a good chunk of what used to be "random" missions. So the answer here is that it's more balanced, but these missions will still appear from time to time, and for me that's a good thing. I like a little crazy now and again.

I also managed to get in random part attachment requests for the satellites, which for now is limited to environmental sensors and the goo.

Entirely unrelated, but who would I have to ask to get integration with NavHud?

I'll look into this in the future. There's a lot on my plate currently with the extra info on the orbits.

I'll look into this in the future. There's a lot on my plate currently with the extra info on the orbits.

Oh no, seriously, there's no rush. Like I said, my current method works fine and if it's something on NavHuds side (they it needs to recognise the aerial waypoints or something), I'll ask the author there, but yeah, there's no rush, don't worry :) I love Fine Print and what it does for KSP, your efforts are appreciated.

I've released version 0.55a, it's up on KerbalStuff already, and will be up on Curse when it is approved. Here are the changes:

Applied vigorous OCD to the usage of the word "the" before the words "Sun" or "Mun".

Rewrote cupola parameter to be more generic and now look for any specific part on a vessel, this allows me to use it for cupolas, or sensors, which I used in the satellite missions.

Fixed rover contracts taking over the contract board occasionally.

Flight and rover waypoints will no longer appear in the tracking station when their contracts have been completed.

Fixed random satellite deployment orbits extending beyond the sphere of influence of their planets, thus having impossible to reach orbits.

Added much more constrained orbits to the satellite deployment mission, which now includes random orbits, in addition to equatorial orbits, polar orbits, geosynchronous orbits, geostationary orbits, Molniya orbits, and tundra orbits. These are given out at appropriate difficulty levels.

Due to the aforementioned cupola change, satellite missions can now request part additions to the satellites. Harder missions have a higher chance to ask for this, and for now it includes any sensor type and the goo, as the goo is reminiscent of our fine frisky Russian gecko satellite friends.

Satellite missions will pay more as they get harder, they pay more based on location, they pay more based on how many parts they ask for, and what kind of orbit they ask you to deploy into.

I know that people want more information displayed on the GUI for these missions, and that is a work in progress, but I felt generating more exciting (and more importantly - possible) orbits was a more immediate need.

This patch changes save information, and will automatically refresh your contract board. This means that you need to complete any active contracts before patching, or they will disappear. This is necessary to keep the update process smooth for you.

Edited by Arsonide

Ah, I was having a problem and the latest update seems the have solved it.

Suggestion: I know it's probably not possible, but is there any way we can the specifics of the orbits before we argee to them? I just started a new save using RSS (6.4x kerbin) and RemoteTech. Both play nice with Fineprint but do create technological limitations. For instance I cannot get anything into an accurate orbit beyond Mun until I unlock the needed dishes to send signals that far. So knowing the specifics of the orbit prior to clicking agree would be great.

Ah, I was having a problem and the latest update seems the have solved it.

Suggestion: I know it's probably not possible, but is there any way we can the specifics of the orbits before we argee to them? I just started a new save using RSS (6.4x kerbin) and RemoteTech. Both play nice with Fineprint but do create technological limitations. For instance I cannot get anything into an accurate orbit beyond Mun until I unlock the needed dishes to send signals that far. So knowing the specifics of the orbit prior to clicking agree would be great.

Right now there's just the tracking station and eyeballing it. We're working on it. Our artist finished some node art today, I just have to hook it up to logic.

This mod is really good! Have you played the old mission control mod? (I say Old but it is being actively worked on) I liked the way they used parts to create the next mission so like "put a sattellite into orbit, must have parts X,Y,Z and a Repairs console" eventually followed by a random mission to go fix said repairs console...

I'm not saying clone that but it is a neat mechanic to be able to set up missions by making the player do missions ;)

I've released version 0.55a

This patch changes save information, and will automatically refresh your contract board. This means that you need to complete any active contracts before patching, or they will disappear. This is necessary to keep the update process smooth for you.

Great thanks. So if I patch while I have the contract with satellite orbit apoapsis outside Kerbin's SOI, will it disappear without me having to pay the failure fine?

Also I second the question of whether stock contracts will disappear?

Before I report a bug there, am I the only one who gets update notifications for the version before the current one when Fine print updates on kerbalstuff? Like today, I got a mail with the announcement/changelog for 0.54a right around the time it was posted here (and there, I presume).

Edit: NVM, it's in their bugtracker and a fix is in the queue already.

Edited by dtrauma

Great thanks. So if I patch while I have the contract with satellite orbit apoapsis outside Kerbin's SOI, will it disappear without me having to pay the failure fine?

Also I second the question of whether stock contracts will disappear?

All contracts, accepted or unaccepted, stock or not, will be cleared to refresh the board. There might be a way to make this just affect my contracts when it happens, and it doesn't happen every patch. I will look into that.

All contracts, accepted or unaccepted, stock or not, will be cleared to refresh the board. There might be a way to make this just affect my contracts when it happens, and it doesn't happen every patch. I will look into that.

Thanks a lot for the clarification. This mod is one of the most awesome I've tried yet. It really improves gameplay.

Yes, please change this. I lost all my contracts from other mods :( This may break the complete logic of other mods.

Hmm it seems something is still amiss. The old contract I had still exists in the "active" contracts board. That particular orbit doesn't show in the tracking station anymore though so now I guess I still have to "decline" that contract and take the loss to get rid of it.

I do however have 2 other orbits in the tracking station for 2 new contracts on offer.

Do you have any plans to add specific tasks to rover/survey missions? I think it would add a very interesting dynamic to perform specific science or sample collection from the various waypoints.

Yes, please change this. I lost all my contracts from other mods :( This may break the complete logic of other mods.

It shouldn't break the logic of any mods, unless they aren't tracking that logic properly. I try to give plenty of warning that this will happen. Originally the refresh was something I encouraged people to do manually, but I kept getting false bug reports from people who were not refreshing, so the autofresh has become a necessity. It only happens if I change existing missions in a big way, to clear any old data out of the save file, so it doesn't happen on every patch.

Hmm it seems something is still amiss. The old contract I had still exists in the "active" contracts board. That particular orbit doesn't show in the tracking station anymore though so now I guess I still have to "decline" that contract and take the loss to get rid of it.

I do however have 2 other orbits in the tracking station for 2 new contracts on offer.

It's a ghost contract. When the board gets refreshed, contracts still appear in the active tab and in the app on the toolbar until the first scene load. They aren't actually there, and you don't have to decline them. This is stock behavior, and it gave me headaches for a while. Don't worry about it.

Is it possible to get some more information other than a visual aid to complete the satellite missions?

I try to post this as much as possible, in as fancy a formatting as I can muster: we are working on it.

So, possible glitch, possible me not understanding something, Got two contracts for tundra orbits, 'round the sun:

http://i.imgur.com/9UishXJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/919Nx5u.jpg

However when I go to see what these orbits look like:

http://i.imgur.com/1swKHWG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wXt92gs.jpg

I see no orbits?

Are you targeting the sun? I delete all waypoints for anything you are not targeting. (Or unless you are targeting something in orbit of the sun.)

Edited by Arsonide

No, this I was unaware of.

With planets it kind of makes sense, keeps the contracts for their moons invisible and such, but for the sun it doesn't, technically the planets orbit the sun, so I can understand the confusion here. I'll add an exception to this logic for the sun.

I think you forgot/didn't compile the .version file from the repo, it's needed for KSP-AVC to be able to check if the version installed matches the one on github.

I did not forget, I just noticed the pull request after I made the release. It will be in the next version.

Hi! First of all, great work with this mod. It's lovely not to have to grind though repetitive part testing and science-gathering missions. Instead, we have a great simulation of a real spacefaring world!

One request: Can you, as soon as possible, provide a way to get the statistics (apoapsis, periapsis, inclination) of the satellite orbits easily? I hate having to go through my persistent.sfs for it.

Thanks again for the great mod!

Hi! First of all, great work with this mod. It's lovely not to have to grind though repetitive part testing and science-gathering missions. Instead, we have a great simulation of a real spacefaring world!

One request: Can you, as soon as possible, provide a way to get the statistics (apoapsis, periapsis, inclination) of the satellite orbits easily? I hate having to go through my persistent.sfs for it.

Thanks again for the great mod!

Actually they wouldn't be available in the persistent file right now. I don't save anything about the orbit other than the type. They are all generated from a seed at runtime. Displaying more information is a work in progress. I just have some record keeping to do before I get started on the new version. Organization, paperwork, formatting...blegh.

Updated the text of the main thread, the Curse description, and the KerbalStuff description with more accurate, more updated, and more consistent information. Added a signature below my posts that says what I am working on, so people know without having to read the whole thread.