[0.90.0] Fine Print vSTOCK'D - BETA RELEASE!!! (December 15)

Arsonide

I have a contract active to collect magnetometer scan from high kerbin orbit. Even though I have collected that scan at the right altitude, I was not at an orbit at the time. So now that I've exhausted the science gain from that altitude, it won't allow me to complete the contract. I tried to collect a magnetometer scan with 0 science point, but all I got was a message stating that I should look elsewhere to complete the contract^^

This belongs in this thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64972-0-24-x-DMagic-Orbital-Science-New-Science-Parts-V0-8-4-1-%288-14-14%29

(and I got the same problem with a solar particle analysis)

Here is another one, I've got a craft named "Agency Sat" in pretty much perfect equatorial orbit, and it won't complete (presumably because it's checking the LAN as per the previous discussion) -

I've got a ton of mods installed, but the only one you should need to load this particular craft should be RemoteTech 2 - everything else is stock on it (although I suspect you'll get a ton of error messages from other crafts when they load).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfevver4k9ltbeo/persistent.sfs?dl=0

I've installed a great deal of mods guessing as to what I need to install trying to get this save to load the vessel properly, but I'm still getting null references. What exactly do you have installed? I'll install all of it.

EDIT: And just as I hit send, it loads. Blegh. Let me take a look at this for you. I've never used RemoteTech before, this is a nice constellation you have going.

EDIT2: Oh this is good stuff. I love it when I get a good reproduction. DEBUG TIME!

At first glance of the save data, it appears that your argument of periapsis is off. This is not shown in the mission briefing, but it's another rotation. In .57b I added a check to skip this on perfectly round orbits, but this orbit is not perfectly round.

Debug text confirms that the argument of periapsis isn't matching. Hmm. The matching code is behaving as it should. It is an eccentric orbit, so it's checking argument of periapsis, but perhaps the check is too sensitive. It's not behaving in an unintended manner, it's just not tweaked properly.

Thanks for your save. I will address this.

Edited by Arsonide

A question regarding the .57b known issue of active contracts resetting; I had two contracts in flight when I patched and while I see them in my active contract list, I no longer see the projected orbit (as in the orbit necessary to complete the contract). This is true in neither the Tracking Station nor the Map mode. I see a possible bug contract of a 940km orbit around minmus (possible since I don't see it as an available contract in the admin building. Should I expect the paths to appear after a few kerbin days? As suggested, or are these contracts now lostish and is should kill them via the Debug Toolbar?

A question regarding the .57b known issue of active contracts resetting; I had two contracts in flight when I patched and while I see them in my active contract list, I no longer see the projected orbit (as in the orbit necessary to complete the contract). This is true in neither the Tracking Station nor the Map mode. I see a possible bug contract of a 940km orbit around minmus (possible since I don't see it as an available contract in the admin building. Should I expect the paths to appear after a few kerbin days? As suggested, or are these contracts now lostish and is should kill them via the Debug Toolbar?

The reset isn't an issue, so much as a measure to prevent issues. When the board resets, it will leave a ghost entry in your contract log. It's not actually there, which is why no waypoints are loading for it. If you switch scenes you will see it disappear as well. (Go to the VAB and back.) This is a quirk of stock code.

Edited by Arsonide

Cheers for taking a look, it does seem overly sensitive, as I am obviously well within 7%. (I've thrown sats in the right general vicinity without even trying of a 7% before and it completed)

If I'm interpreting Wikipedia right should argument of perapsis not also be discounted for an equatorial orbit (whether eccentric or not)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equatorial_orbit

Cheers for taking a look, it does seem overly sensitive, as I am obviously well within 7%. (I've thrown sats in the right general vicinity without even trying of a 7% before and it completed)

If I'm interpreting Wikipedia right should argument of perapsis not also be discounted for an equatorial orbit (whether eccentric or not)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equatorial_orbit

Oh jesus. Derp. That's rule three or something on one of these orbital pages. I remember now. AoP depends on LAN, so when LAN is skipped, it should also skip. In the save file your AoP is way off - definitely more than 7%, but that's because your LAN is jumping around randomly. I will fix this for the next release. I apologize for all the confusion, and delays, but there are a lot of backend changes with this patch.

I had a talk with RoverDude on IRC, and I made a decision that might delay the patch a little more, but it means that you guys that use Karbonite might be in store for a new contract type.

I had a talk with RoverDude on IRC, and I made a decision that might delay the patch a little more, but it means that you guys that use Karbonite might be in store for a new contract type.

Oh hell yes. Considering that RoverDude's mods stand side by side with FinePrint for my favorite mods in .24, I can't wait!

With the addition of configuration, it only makes sense. His mod adds a fundamental feature to the game, one that deserves a contract, but I couldn't figure out how to add it without creating weird interdependence. With configuration, it's simple: default the contract to "off". Players with Karbonite can go in and turn it on.

Oh jesus. Derp. That's rule three or something on one of these orbital pages. I remember now. AoP depends on LAN, so when LAN is skipped, it should also skip. In the save file your AoP is way off - definitely more than 7%, but that's because your LAN is jumping around randomly. I will fix this for the next release. I apologize for all the confusion, and delays, but there are a lot of backend changes with this patch.

Completely bypassing the AgP check for an equatorial-but-eccentric orbit would accept orbits pointing in obviously different directions that you can readily tell apart by looking at them on a map. If the absolute longitude of the periapsis (LAN+AgP) is reasonably stable, you might be able to get away with a check of that combined value when inclination is zero but eccentricity is significant.

I know multiple people have commented about not getting orbit completes on equitorial (<1 degree incline) orbits - so I accepted two of them yesterday to give them a shot. One was 180 degree incline and one was 0 incline. Neither was circular. Getting into the prescribed orbits was easy enough - launch, park, then match orbital parameters. I didnt' worrry about LAN becuase it's an equitorial orbit. Long story, short - I never got orbit matches even though everything that should have been checking for completion was spot on. The LAN was way off because there was no incline (but shouldn't be checked). I complted them via Alt-F12...no biggie.

So today I'm digging into the source code and here's the line that drives whether to check the LAN or not:

bool horizontal = (Math.Abs(orbitDriver.orbit.inclination) % 180 < 1);

So I get the intent...simple boolean flag set by taking the absolute value of the desired orbit's inclination modulus 180 is less than 1.

So for an inclination of 180 or 0 the modulus will be 0 which is less than 1 so will flag TRUE.

For any inclination between 1 and 179 it will flag FALSE.

While the logic looks good the reality appears that in game it appears to always flag FALSE and a LAN check is run.

Problem with the "horizontal" flag? Shouldn't be - but it appears to be.

Perhaps opening up the inclination check from 1 to 2 or 3?

Just some thoughts...but there are still a lot of people complaining about this problem.

The problem is not the horizontal flag, I discovered earlier. The inclination is matching, the LAN is being skipped. It's the argument of periapsis check above that, that is not matching. The reason is that argument of periapsis is dependent on LAN. When LAN is skipped, AoP needs to be skipped as well. Undercoveryankee makes a good point though, I need another way of checking the direction of the orbit if I do skip this check. I'm looking into it.

EDIT:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_longitude

This w with a hat on it seems to be what I'm looking for.

EDIT2:

HatW is longitude of periapsis, and it's been implemented on horizontally flagged orbits. Equatorial orbits are now fixed.

Edited by Arsonide

Uhoh, discovered a bit of an issue that might be Fine Print (0.57b, on win-x86) related. I've been trying to re-klaw an asteroid (C-class) after having completed a contract with it and releasing the original, empty ship, but neither the new ship or the old ship can dock with it.

The ships kinda appear to get stuck to it for a moment, but then the dock never completes and eventually releases.

output_log.txt shows the following:

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at FinePrint.Contracts.Parameters.AsteroidParameter.OnDock (FromToAction`2 action) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EventData`1[GameEvents+FromToAction`2[Part,Part]].Fire (FromToAction`2 data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.Couple (.Part tgtPart) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ModuleGrappleNode.Grapple (.Part other, .Part dockerSide) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ModuleGrappleNode.<SetupFSM>m__10 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalFSM.RunEvent (.KFSMEvent evt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalFSM.updateFSM (KFSMUpdateMode mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalFSM.FixedUpdateFSM () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ModuleGrappleNode.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

(I have the entire log saved if needed.. ksp.log and save file is in there too on the off chance they're needed)

Note that I haven't done many aster missions since 0.24 (they're kinda meh), so not entirely sure if it's Fine Print related or not, but the stack trace isn't reassuring...

Wait, you completed the contract, and it's still running logic?

Apparently so. There's an A-class contract in Active as well, plus a B-class contract on the Available board.

The C-class contract appeared to complete, gave science/funds/reputation and moved itself to the Archives as Completed..

I think I understand what happened there. It's on the white board. I have a literal white board to my right, filling up with fixes of things.

Okay, thanks :)

I love white boards.. I've always meant to get one, but it's one of those "round tuit shortage" issues.

Hello here,

I've found a bug in the rover mission - got one with 5 checkpoints, and when I went to Epsilon first, all other checkpoints went off the map. Quicksave-Reload made mission complete with just one checkpoint + main reward, even if the rest 4 were never reached.

It is a bit frustruating, as it was a really long drive on the Mun... at <20 m/s...

Hello here,

I've found a bug in the rover mission - got one with 5 checkpoints, and when I went to Epsilon first, all other checkpoints went off the map. Quicksave-Reload made mission complete with just one checkpoint + main reward, even if the rest 4 were never reached.

It is a bit frustruating, as it was a really long drive on the Mun... at <20 m/s...

Sounds like what happened with me, not exactly but close. I've found that by landing directly on a waypoint, FP checks to see if it's the winner. If not, then just tells me, clears that waypoint and off I go to check the others with the rover. But, if I land on it, quicksave and then exit out and back into the game again, FP does the check all over again when I spawn on that waypoint. Sometimes it's the same as before, but sometimes it must RandomNumber the waypoints and it completes the contract for me.

As for your exact issue, I think that is FP working as intended. All waypoints clear when you hit the magic one it's looking for. If you read the messages that pop up as you hit a non-winner, it tells you something like 'This isn't the one we're looking for, move on to the next one" It's set up that way to give you chances to hit the right one first, and other times not, but along the way you earn more credits by hitting all the non-winners.

amiright?

I'm loving this mod so far. Got a big laugh today when I looked at my new contract listings and saw "Place a satellite into a polar orbit of the Sun". :sticktongue:

I'm really glad you enjoy it!

Today I set up a development branch on GitHub, if anybody wants to see my day to day progress it should be visible there from now on - I promise to commit more frequently to the development branch, but keep in mind that everything in the development branch is to be considered a work in progress. Right now the configuration is implemented there, but the configuration file itself has not had it's values established, because I am working on tracking down issues.

Speaking of issues, I've also started tracking issues there, to kind of keep my head on straight. I figure GitHub's issue tracker is better than a whiteboard. It would be great if you guys run into any new issues if you posted them there, so I could see them all in one spot. Please look at the board to see if there is an open issue similar to yours before opening a new one.

https://github.com/Arsonide/FinePrint/issues