[0.90.0] Fine Print vSTOCK'D - BETA RELEASE!!! (December 15)

Arsonide

Congrats on getting some of this into stock I hope you continue the mod to FURTHER advance the contract system even more! :D

After all, Squad looks at the modding community to see what is really needed that can be implemented with minimal effort. (I suspect FAR-like features haven't been integrated due to the later part.)

I think people are making mistakes here. Congratulations on making an amazing mod are in order. This has been a fact long before Squad ever noticed it.

People cheering on modders only when their mod gets included in stock is ridiculous and moot. Getting included in stock doesn't bring much to a mod author, so if anything, these people deserve our support before this.

Not when Squad decides to shove yet another mod into the stock game, by utilizing other people's ideas.

Sometimes I think their roadmap since 0.23 includes the same line of text many times over - "Find a mod to implement in stock", instead of "Develop a new feature", "Fix x64".

Mods work much better without being implemented in stock, because the people that support them are devoted to this. They are ready with ideas about the mod and ongoing support. Just like with the vector indicators in 0.25. The Enhanced Navball had a ghosting feature. Squad seem to have "forgotten" about it in order to warp the mod around their (albeit strange) concept of game features.

Being implemented in stock means no more development for the mod, that's it, nothing more. I don't get why people don't understand this.

Congratulate the authors and enjoy the mods, don't just celebrate when the "godly" light of Squad's lazyness shines on yet another mod that then gets dumbed down, shoved in a patch and presented as a "feature".

No details yet! Right now, I can say that cool things are coming, and I'm excited about the possibilities that this will bring to the stock game.

I know you can't really talk, but I would be very, very happy if some of the International Rescue style contracts (water bombing, urgent delivery etc) made it in.

I think people are making mistakes here. Congratulations on making an amazing mod are in order. This has been a fact long before Squad ever noticed it.

People cheering on modders only when their mod gets included in stock is ridiculous and moot. Getting included in stock doesn't bring much to a mod author, so if anything, these people deserve our support before this.

I assume it brings money, so I guess congratulations are in order, if anything, due a successful sell.

Speaking of wheels and things...

I've got a "build a Munbase" contract, that says the base needs power, a docking port and capacity for six Kerbals. What's to stop me from fulfilling this by just momentarily landing a six-seater spacecraft (e.g. my standard crew transfer shuttle) and taking off again?

Nothing. I got two contracts to build a spacestation, one in Kerbin, the other in Minmus. I'm using the same ship and then I'm returning it to the KSC. I got the base contract for Minmus afterwards, otherwise, I would have used the same ship for all three contracts

I felt like it would be too punishing to players to take the ship that they completed missions with and delete it, or otherwise render it inoperable. I did consider this at one point, but decided against it. Kerbal Space Program is a fun game, and that felt a bit too punishing. A side effect of this is that yes, you can do multiple contracts with one ship. I did at one point make this a little more difficult however. In the early versions, base and station contracts could target the same planet, now they cannot. This prevents "stacking" a bunch of contracts to the same location and completing them all at once, making this a bit less of an issue for me. Satellite contracts are handled in the same way. They cannot be stacked.

I felt like it would be too punishing to players to take the ship that they completed missions with and delete it, or otherwise render it inoperable. I did consider this at one point, but decided against it. Kerbal Space Program is a fun game, and that felt a bit too punishing. A side effect of this is that yes, you can do multiple contracts with one ship. I did at one point make this a little more difficult however. In the early versions, base and station contracts could target the same planet, now they cannot. This prevents "stacking" a bunch of contracts to the same location and completing them all at once, making this a bit less of an issue for me. Satellite contracts are handled in the same way. They cannot be stacked.

How about stretching the "neutralise controls for ten seconds" to "neutralise controls for a month" or similar for bases? Or putting a "must not have any engines" limitation on?

How about stretching the "neutralise controls for ten seconds" to "neutralise controls for a month" or similar for bases? Or putting a "must not have any engines" limitation on?

This would be nice in order to circumvent the usage of things like spaceplanes for base contracts and it would be good if a module check for engines is implemented(or however Fine Print works).

The DMagic contracts have something like "have the satellite in a stable orbit for 100 days" this would be a nice addition for the satellite, station or base contracts!

I know! How come nobody thanked Arsonide before this?

(Each of those words is a link, to a reply to this very thread. I got them all from the first few pages)

I meant in general, each thread contains thanks and all, then it gets quiet, then suddenly a mod gets included in stock and people swarm it with 2 pages of thanks, like getting included in stock is what deserves the thanks for the author's work, not the mod itself.

It's just the general atmosphere with all the mod inclusions lately I guess.

I meant in general, each thread contains thanks and all, then it gets quiet, then suddenly a mod gets included in stock and people swarm it with 2 pages of thanks, like getting included in stock is what deserves the thanks for the author's work, not the mod itself.

It's just the general atmosphere with all the mod inclusions lately I guess.

And I believe you are incorrect in this thought. One thing this community is great at is slathering praise on modders.

We're happy for Fine Print. We're happy for Arsonide, and we're happy for ourselves. We're MORE happy now, but that doesn't mean we were vocally happy before.

The praise and thanks dies down after the first few pages because it's been said and doesn't need said again until something significant happens. I for one don't want to spam a mod thread with daily praise and I doubt many modders would find it useful as well.

And yes, getting your mod included in the game is "significant" :D

I've got a mission to test the launch stability enhancer while landed...on the Mun :D What do?
Sounds like a stock thing, you can also get test jet engine on mun/minmus for example.

It is a stock thing, but note it's different than testing a jet engine on Mun in that you can fairly easily carry a jet engine to Mun. Carrying a stability enhancer, on the other hand... :)

I don't see why this is a problem; you turned over the ship to the company; hopefully the rewards are much more than what you spent to complete it. It's like those "suicide" unmanned parts testing missions like burning solid boosters in orbit; I'm not gonna bother bringing those things back, and in fact delete them right after... (I've also not gotten far enough to do parts testing in the vicinity of other bodies, but if I do I'll also make them suicide unmanned missions, with enough fuel to get there but not back...) I guess constructing a station piece by piece may actually involve more work though, and I guess I can see why just having that disappear may not be ideal... Though perhaps if possible, just leaving them in the tracking station might be a good idea; a player can then view their handiwork, or stop tracking them to free up resources, depending on how attached they feel to it.

Wait, does that mean that once you do a station mission for, say, Minmus, there'd be no more generated contracts for Minmus, ever, in that game, and not just that they can't be there simultaneously? I mean if the old ship is still operable, wouldn't it be too easy if a new mission appeared in the same location...

Edited by Spheniscine

I know this isn't exactly what you're mentioning, but with creative cancelling and accepting you can fill your entire active contract list with like-minded contracts. The 4 you can't see at the bottom are the "Explore" types for Pol, Vall, Tylo (and Dres, the only non-Joolian contract on the list!)

AJzYsTt.png

And btw, Congrats on your mod getting implemented!

I have to say I would think it reasonable that would not keep the ship if the mission is to establish a base. It is in a way the inverse of the 'rescue from Kerbin' missions where you gain crew.

On that note, 'ferry this Kerbin to this base' would be an interesting mission structure, if it has not been mentioned before.

You are being caustic with no good reason.

Squad are doing a great job. The very reason that mods exist is that KSP exists. I'm sure some of the modders here, like Ferram for example, could have come up with a full space simulator, but in the end, it was the Squad guys who did that, built the whole thing, made it stable, and released it. There is no reason to treat them with such venom.

As for the navball, Squad did NOT include "Enhanced Navball", they developed a similar functionality on their own. As modders are also free to create their own version of some functionality that already exists, Squad is free to do the same.

Also, if a mod is changed when it is included, I think it's needlessly venomous to talk about "dumbing down". As someone who has worked on several large-scale software projects, and participated in a few game development efforts (tabletop role playing games), I fully understand the need to keep a consistent vision, and streamline any included ideas to that vision. It's what makes a product.

If you do not like that vision, KSP is a trendsetter in the freedom it gives you to change the flavor in the game down to the physics engine. So stop it.

Not when Squad decides to shove yet another mod into the stock game, by utilizing other people's ideas.

Sometimes I think their roadmap since 0.23 includes the same line of text many times over - "Find a mod to implement in stock", instead of "Develop a new feature", "Fix x64".

Mods work much better without being implemented in stock, because the people that support them are devoted to this. They are ready with ideas about the mod and ongoing support. Just like with the vector indicators in 0.25. The Enhanced Navball had a ghosting feature. Squad seem to have "forgotten" about it in order to warp the mod around their (albeit strange) concept of game features.

Being implemented in stock means no more development for the mod, that's it, nothing more. I don't get why people don't understand this.

Congratulate the authors and enjoy the mods, don't just celebrate when the "godly" light of Squad's lazyness shines on yet another mod that then gets dumbed down, shoved in a patch and presented as a "feature".