[0.90.0] Fine Print vSTOCK'D - BETA RELEASE!!! (December 15)

Arsonide

i just started my first playthrough with this mod and i am having a blast. most of the contracts are fun and diverse.

only some of them are a little bit off and could use a little more work. especially early satellite contracts. i don't think, a beginner is able to exactly position a satellite in a specific inclinated orbit. maybe first give some standard or polar orbit contracts.

or the aerial surveys, unlocking with the first cockpit. not that easy to complete without jets and gears :D

Just as a friendly counterpoint: I think it's great that you offer contracts that may stretch the abilities of novice players. The need to look at the contract and ask yourself "can I actually do this?" is a good thing, IMO.

The more diversity in the contract system (in terms of both mission and difficulty) the better. Easy contracts, hard contracts, almost impossible contracts: there's a place for all of them. The newbies can rescue kerbals from circular equatorial orbits while the mavens are flinging jumbo asteroids into Kerbol.

Give everyone the opportunity to play the game how they want to play it; that's the KSP way.

Guys i'm having issues getting to bobak's jest, the waypoint right over the mountains west of KSC, "Perform aerial surveys of Kerbin at an altitude of 1500 to 2320", that point is just over the mountains and after many flybys im unable to match the needed altitude, i followed the waypoint as it moved but i can't match the altitude... is it the radar altitude i guess, right?? will i need to use the scansat plugin to check the radar altitude of that point so i can match it perfectly??? I flew by at 5800m, 6000m, tried also not to see the altimeter but to match it visually with the map viewing horizontally and those altitudes are matched........... Any ideas????? (i have to fly by it for 2 different contracts)

Is there any way to make that marker an actual "object" so i can target it with the regular system and see the altitude info on Kerbal Engineer so i'm perfectly matched?

Any other ideas will be appreciatted!

TIA

(btw AWESOME mod...)

Guys i'm having issues getting to bobak's jest, the waypoint right over the mountains west of KSC, "Perform aerial surveys of Kerbin at an altitude of 1500 to 2320", that point is just over the mountains and after many flybys im unable to match the needed altitude, i followed the waypoint as it moved but i can't match the altitude... is it the radar altitude i guess, right?? will i need to use the scansat plugin to check the radar altitude of that point so i can match it perfectly??? I flew by at 5800m, 6000m, tried also not to see the altimeter but to match it visually with the map viewing horizontally and those altitudes are matched........... Any ideas????? (i have to fly by it for 2 different contracts)

It's sea level altitude, not radar. The required altitude for this waypoint is about half the height of the mountains.

I had a similar low altitude contract in the west KSC mountains. I was about to give up when I found a hidden valley just within range of the waypoint (not exactly on it, but close enough to still be in the required area) and with a floor about 50m below the required altitude. Lotsa fun.

Just keep circling the waypoint until you find a low spot, then dive to treetop height.

Edited by Wanderfound

It's sea level altitude, not radar. The required altitude for this waypoint is about half the height of the mountains.

I had a similar low altitude contract in the west KSC mountains. I was about to give up when I found a hidden valley just within range of the waypoint (not exactly on it, but close enough to still be in the required area) and with a floor about 50m below the required altitude. Lotsa fun.

Just keep circling the waypoint until you find a low spot, then dive to treetop height.

I see, thank you for the quick reply, and as you said, it's going to be lots of fun!!!

GOT IT!!!! haha it was quite interesting to have to nose dive into a depression like that, so step! but i managed it at 200m/s! I'm glad my simple airplane has tons of lift and 2 engines with more than enough thrust!

Now some redesigning for high altitude and maybe range and let's do the other ones...

There is nothing to see, you just have to drive by the invisible point

Ok, so basically I just drive around the three points on the map till it completes? Or do I just drive to the center of the points and wait?

Let me start by saying I love the additional contracts as if gives you more things to shoot far, and can actually get paid when I work on build those bases. That said any chances of getting some "Unique" contracts that help push the player to discover more? The game has some basic first time accomplishment ones to start out with and then just elevates to "explore planet/moon". But other than it just a bunch of common easily repeatable, and eventually grindy contracts.

The stock KSP already has two great sources for these types on contracts. The first is the achievement system, which when it was first add I couldn't help but think how great it would be to have some of those show up as missions. Since only the ones you have done show up you can't be quite sure what they all are. But if the contract system would check and only give you ones you haven't reach yet (much like how if you go past curtain altitude on your first mission you won't get contracts for the other altitudes) then it won't be offered.

So you'll get missions like gather science from materials on a curtain body in specific biome. Which encourages players to get out and explore more than simply "get science from surface" or "get science from space" which people have shown are very exploity since they just park ships there and keep sending the data when one of those missions appears for instant complete. The science from locations could be gated behind explore missions so you don't get them before you have even been to planet to begin with.

The other is missions to explore the anomalies(aka easter eggs). I know they would effectively overlap the rover mission type but honestly those are rather boring and not worth my time or effort for their payout. I tried a few but just going to the middle of no where to look at nothing was very dull, plus the waypoints were so far apart it took over an hour since time acceleration causes bad things to happen to rovers. The aerial ones are nice though as it gives me a chance to work on plane designs and test them out on actually missions instead of just seeing how well some plane I made flies around KSP airspace. But the ground ones while a nice idea just feel dull. But if one of those locations was an anomaly than it would feel a bit more like sight seeing and actually worth while.

Also for all of these missions you could have higher payouts since they would be one time missions. The science achievement ones I'd say have little to no science but decent rep and high cash on. The anomaly ones It think should have high payouts in all three areas since their one time deals but also to encourage players to actually do them and go sight seeing.

Honestly I think a system like this would feel more real and less grindy than the endless parade of cardboard cut out contract missions. Also the unique missions should have higher payouts on average than grindy missions to encourage the player to try new stuff instead of simply doing the same easy ones over and over.

Ok, so basically I just drive around the three points on the map till it completes? Or do I just drive to the center of the points and wait?

Drive through each of the points. Make sure you're using rover wheels instead of landing gear

Drive through each of the points. Make sure you're using rover wheels instead of landing gear

OK I think it is because my rover uses TT modular wheels not the basic rover wheels. I like having a vehicle that uses fuel not electricity to get around on Kerbin.... that and it will do over a 120mph on the surface.

GOT IT!!!! haha it was quite interesting to have to nose dive into a depression like that, so step! but i managed it at 200m/s! I'm glad my simple airplane has tons of lift and 2 engines with more than enough thrust!

Now some redesigning for high altitude and maybe range and let's do the other ones...

Plenty of fun to be had at altitude, too... :D

screenshot49_zps65835032.jpg

There seem to be some problem with Klaw, when trying to capture asteroid nothing happens and "NullReferenceException" lines apper in log.

q096c0N.jpg

[LOG 15:25:31.947] [Grapple Module] Grabbing on to Ast. ANG-205 on Ast. ANG-205
[EXC 15:25:31.949] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
FinePrint.Contracts.Parameters.AsteroidParameter.OnDock (FromToAction`2 action)
EventData`1[GameEvents+FromToAction`2[Part,Part]].Fire (FromToAction`2 data)
Part.Couple (.Part tgtPart)
ModuleGrappleNode.Grapple (.Part other, .Part dockerSide)
ModuleGrappleNode.<SetupFSM>m__F6 ()
KerbalFSM.RunEvent (.KFSMEvent evt)
KerbalFSM.updateFSM (KFSMUpdateMode mode)
KerbalFSM.FixedUpdateFSM ()
ModuleGrappleNode.FixedUpdate ()
[LOG 15:25:47.304] [Grapple Module] Grabbing on to Ast. ANG-205 on Ast. ANG-205
[EXC 15:25:47.305] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
FinePrint.Contracts.Parameters.AsteroidParameter.OnDock (FromToAction`2 action)
EventData`1[GameEvents+FromToAction`2[Part,Part]].Fire (FromToAction`2 data)
Part.Couple (.Part tgtPart)
ModuleGrappleNode.Grapple (.Part other, .Part dockerSide)
ModuleGrappleNode.<SetupFSM>m__F6 ()
KerbalFSM.RunEvent (.KFSMEvent evt)
KerbalFSM.updateFSM (KFSMUpdateMode mode)
KerbalFSM.FixedUpdateFSM ()
ModuleGrappleNode.FixedUpdate ()

Edited by Lightwarrior

Could you do flyby contracts?

Before you are asked to go into orbit around such as Jool there should be contracts that you can fullfil on a hyperbolic flyby like the mariner and pioneer missions.

e.g. With an unmanned probe on an escape trajectory from Jool carrying a thermometer, transmit science

These should appear much earlier in the progression so when the player is landing on Duna for the main contract sequence they are being given flybys for moho and Jool.

Could you do flyby contracts?

Before you are asked to go into orbit around such as Jool there should be contracts that you can fullfil on a hyperbolic flyby like the mariner and pioneer missions.

e.g. With an unmanned probe on an escape trajectory from Jool carrying a thermometer, transmit science

These should appear much earlier in the progression so when the player is landing on Duna for the main contract sequence they are being given flybys for moho and Jool.

The stock "Explore <body>" contract has a milestone for getting science from the body's SoI that can be completed on a flyby, and doing that unlocks the stock "Science from <body> orbit" contract which I remember could also be done on a flyby. Offering a separate flyby contract before the stock contracts would make the overall progression look less polished.

It would be nice to have the flyby be its own contract that appeared when you were likely to be able to do it instead of waiting for the body to come up in the stock progression, but it would also weaken stock's bias in favor of manned exploration. (And with RemoteTech, you're about ready to start sending manned missions before you unlock the long-range antennas.)

Problem is it has a bunch of parts. I'm running about 30+ mods currently and even with ATM my memory usage is a little high. I would prefer to not add extra parts unless they were really needed.

The stock contracts can't be completed without going into orbit though, and doing a flyby is a natural step to acheiving orbit. It does slightly favour unmanned exploration over manned.

Condition: Ground Base must be mobile?

I got this on a build planetary base contract. However I can't figure out how to achieve it. I tried putting wheels on but it still remains unchecked.

EDIT: Was able to figure it out. Turns out the wheels have to touch the ground to count. I was having issues cause I check to make sure all the requirements are checked before launching the ship so I don't waste a trip for nothing. But since the wheels are on the base, which is at the top of rocket, they aren't launching the ground during the launch.

Edited by Spyre2000

I looked through the last pages but couldn't really find anything regarding the stock integration... will you release a new version with the visibility settings or do we have to wait for the stock integration?

Also

Question: is FP compatible with RSS (x6.4) ?

-->

RSS and Fine Print play nice except for one known quirk with Aerial Surveys. That doesn't mean they will not work - just that they might generate in inappropriate locations.