[0.90.0] Fine Print vSTOCK'D - BETA RELEASE!!! (December 15)

Arsonide

Awesome stuff, man. Loving the changes and playing your contracts in stock. I've already got a satellite in orbit of Mun and a survey plane capable of getting all the nearby surveys (and I can even attach a part to it to get a test in on the way).

A few comments/suggestions on your massive list of features.

• When entering trigger zones for surveys, there is now a more visible message, and the navigation icon on the navball will blink while you are inside the zone.
    Any chance of adding an alert tone? Maybe a higher pitched "bing" when entering and a lower pitched "bong" when exiting? Maybe only for the targeted zone though zones are never (for me yet) so crowded I'd find that annoying.
  • Unless it is your first flag on a planet, flag contracts will no longer appear for planets that have Kerbals on them already. Once the kerbals move off of the planet, they will appear again.
    So now we'll have to get our guy in orbit around Minmus (and any moons less massive than Minmus) and then re-land them. Gotcha ;) No, this is a good check and I never abused the old system because I thought it was cheaty.
  • Waypoints now display tooltips with the agency of the relevant contract, this is to make correlating the waypoint to a contract on the board easier.
    Could the tooltip also show if you've accepted the contract or not, and what you need to do there? I know the icon says it but I can't see dark red lines on black (which seems common for the waypoints) so can't at a glance tell what the contract wants me to do, or even see if I need to do it. Maybe 2 colors for the outline of the waypoint, white if you've accepted the contract and black if you've not?
  • Modified how site clustering works. Surveys can spawn a mixture of ground and aerial waypoints. If a survey spawns waypoints that are all on the ground, they will be designated alpha, beta, gamma, etc. If the survey is mixed, but there is more than one ground waypoint, they will form a designated cluster as well.
    I'm not sure if this is intended, but I had a contract with an Alpha and Beta site that were close enough to each other that I landed my plane between them and did one eva report and goto both contracts.

5thhorseman:

Waypoints now display tooltips with the agency of the relevant contract, this is to make correlating the waypoint to a contract on the board easier.

Could the tooltip also show if you've accepted the contract or not, and what you need to do there? I know the icon says it but I can't see dark red lines on black (which seems common for the waypoints) so can't at a glance tell what the contract wants me to do, or even see if I need to do it. Maybe 2 colors for the outline of the waypoint, white if you've accepted the contract and black if you've not?

That was done already, it is listed in the same changlog somewhere.

edit : found it: Waypoint tooltips are now colored based on contract status. Orange for offered but not active, green for active.

Edited by Fyrem

Change log and a legacy download of 0.59 with more warnings than a prescription label were added to the original post. As far as my plans, I am working on some things, but they aren't concrete enough to spell out at the moment. I do plan to continue working with the contract system.

That was done already, it is listed in the same changlog somewhere.

edit : found it: Waypoint tooltips are now colored based on contract status. Orange for offered but not active, green for active.

Wow I'm dense. I literally did not notice that even though I was looking for it. Dang trees getting in the way of my forest view.

I'd still like the tooltip to read what you need to do. "Surface Sample" or "EVA report" or "Crew report" or whatnot.

Why are ISRU and Mining contracts not default? I mean with the popularity of Kethane and Karbonite why do you have change config folders get them to work? Pardon me if its easier than that, I am just asking out of pure ignorance.

Because some people don't use them, myself included? Doesn't make sense creating contracts about them when you don't them installed.

Some people don't like making space stations or traveling outside of the Kerbin SOI. Still contracts to build bases come up or to explore Duna. I am gonna go out on a limb and say that more than 70% of players (probably more), have not done an ARM mission in career mode because its too expensive and there is a very low risk reward and its really hard to do. Still those missions come up in the contracts all the time. Thats why there is a decline button. It would be nice to just install Kethane and Karbonite and have those contracts appear without having to fiddle with .cfg files. If a mission came up to mine a asteroid and the value of brining it back to Kerbin could bring a lot of money to the player, I bet alot more people would try ARM contracts.

The difference is that in the stock game, you can make bases and capture asteroids. You cannot do ISRU contracts in the stock game because it doesn't provide you with the necessary parts. Granted, it'd be fine and good if they automatically activated if a resource mod was installed (what's the word.. reflective support?), but they shouldn't default on as they make no sense in the stock game.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

The difference is that in the stock game, you can make bases and capture asteroids. You cannot do ISRU contracts in the stock game because it doesn't provide you with the necessary parts. Granted, it'd be fine and good if they automatically activated if a resource mod was installed (what's the word.. reflective support?), but they shouldn't default on as they make no sense in the stock game.

How does the Station Science mod do it http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/54774-0-25-Station-Science-%28v1-3-1-0-25-compatibility-Attach-O-Tron-fix%29? Once the mod is installed contracts for it begin to show up. Contracts that are specific to the station science mod.

I didn't like the idea of reflecting into other people's mods. Now that I am stock though, resource mods can include module manager tweaks to the configuration file to automatically switch on ISRU contracts, delete the example RESOURCE_DEFINITIONS, and add their own resource definitions...which is probably the best way to go about it. Paging RoverDude.

StationScience adds it's own contracts. I don't believe it uses the configuration options I've set up currently.

*pops in*

I agree that Arsonide had the right approach on this one. Prior to stock it was config based, which made sense (another option would have been for me to add my own, but Arsonide was awesome to collaborate with and did the heavy lifting). I like the approach for stock - that is, I can choose to include a config with Karbonite for these contracts.

I didn't like the idea of reflecting into other people's mods. Now that I am stock though, resource mods can include module manager tweaks to the configuration file to automatically switch on ISRU contracts, delete the example RESOURCE_DEFINITIONS, and add their own resource definitions...which is probably the best way to go about it. Paging RoverDude.

StationScience adds it's own contracts. I don't believe it uses the configuration options I've set up currently.

I suppose it was foolish to assume that they used configs. I suppose I just assumed because I alway used them together. I guess thats what happens when you assume. Still it would be nice to just have contracts compile once mods are installed.

@Arsonide - How do I get the Waypoint class to pick up a custom icon? I'm setting Waypoint.id to the name of the custom icon PNG, but the *only* way that it seems to pick it up is by putting it under Squad/Contracts/Icons, which I'm sure can't be the only way to get it to work.

If I right click a waypoint, it gives me the option to "activate navigation" What does this do/how do I use this?

It will plop a waypoint onto your navball that you can fly towards. The icon will blink when you enter the area of the waypoint.

@Arsonide - How do I get the Waypoint class to pick up a custom icon? I'm setting Waypoint.id to the name of the custom icon PNG, but the *only* way that it seems to pick it up is by putting it under Squad/Contracts/Icons, which I'm sure can't be the only way to get it to work.

You would be incorrect. The icons do need to go in that folder. I realized that this should probably be a configurable option, but by the time I did, it was far too late to implement. Might be something for the future.

You would be incorrect. The icons do need to go in that folder. I realized that this should probably be a configurable option, but by the time I did, it was far too late to implement. Might be something for the future.

Thanks. I would've probably gone crazy trying to figure out how else to do it. :confused:

If I accepted contracts in 0.25 with Fine Print, can I complete them in 0.90 stock? Do I need to leave Fine Print installed until I complete them?

It's possible, but this still isn't a good idea.

In the OP could you post an idiot proof way of unlocking the mining contracts?

There already is, check the changelog for 0.58b.

If I accepted contracts in 0.25 with Fine Print, can I complete them in 0.90 stock? Do I need to leave Fine Print installed until I complete them?
It's possible, but this still isn't a good idea.

So, if I have contracts in Fine Print on .25... How do I move forward? I would presume I need to uninstall Fine Print, correct? That seems straight forward.

The question is, what will happen when the new stock integration encounters old contracts? that I accepted from Fine Print. Do I have no choice but to cancel them, or will they carry over. If I have to cancel, I won't feel too bad, as i'm sure I'll get more contracts in due time. It'd just be nice to not have to do that... I've never failed or canceled a contract before.

Or were you referring to leaving Fine Print installed on 0.90 until those old contracts are completed? I guess the wording didn't feel clear whether you were saying keeping and fulfilling the old contracts was the bad thing, leaving Fine Print installed was the bad thing, or both.

Also, that's one nice STOCKing stuffer you got for Christmas! :D

Edited by richfiles

So, if I have contracts in Fine Print on .25... How do I move forward? I would presume I need to uninstall Fine Print, correct? That seems straight forward.

The question is, what will happen when the new stock integration encounters old contracts? that I accepted from Fine Print. Do I have no choice but to cancel them, or will they carry over. If I have to cancel, I won't feel too bad, as i'm sure I'll get more contracts in due time. It'd just be nice to not have to do that... I've never failed or canceled a contract before.

Or were you referring to leaving Fine Print installed on 0.90 until those old contracts are completed? I guess the wording didn't feel clear whether you were saying keeping and fulfilling the old contracts was the bad thing, leaving Fine Print installed was the bad thing, or both.

Also, that's one nice STOCKing stuffer you got for Christmas! :D

The stock contracts will see the existing save data, but the problem is that the contracts themselves have changed. Some of them now expect to see new data there that wasn't there in 0.25. Luckily, Fine Print has always reverted to default values when it gets confused like this, so the game won't explode or anything, but your contracts might look a little weird. Just a warning. It's possible that you can still complete them, but do not be surprised if you cannot.

Hey Arsonide,

I have a suggestion. Would it be possible to put the waypoint markers in flight view as well as in map view? It would make finding the landing location for some of the ground based scans far easier to find. As of now I'm constantly switching between flight and map view to see how close I am and when/where I should land. As a result I end up under or overshooting the location by quite a bit.